6 Must-Haves for Your Carry-on Bag

Don't put all your prescription narcotics.in carry on.

My Trazodone (had prescription) was confiscated in Germany.  Luckily had extras in Aspirin bottle in checked luggage.

Not sure how PR customs works.

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Salty Dog

• Mikala

• miles-high

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This isn't my list, but thought it was worth passing on. I'm sure many of you can add to the list, including things that a person should carry with them when coming to the Philippines.   Medications

No one carrying a laptop/tablet? Or you guys just carry a smartphone? (Some security guys/carriers still not accepting the boarding passes on the phone…)   Anyway, since I replaced my laptop with a

especially if you are flying to Asia coz the local  ones for sale are way way too small .  

Posted Images

The last few years I have been traveling with carry on only.

Been enough for me. Even when I left Sweden with a heavy coat for the coldness..

Carry on is enough, my gents!!

Edited by Kim_

The last few years I have been traveling with carry on only.

Been enough for me. Even when I left Sweden with a heavy coat for the coldness..

Carry on is enough, my gents!!

Think of all the goodies you could bring in checked.

Twinkies. HoHos, Snow Balls (Hostess), Hebrew National hot dogs, make some people very happy.

Or whatever your equivalent is for your countrymen.

Edited by lamoe

Think of all the goodies you could bring in checked.

Twinkies. HoHos, Snow Balls (Hostess), Hebrew National hot dogs, make some people very happy.

Or whatever your equivalent is for your countrymen.

Surströmming? Blood pudding? People ask Swedes *not* to bring their delicacies. :D

• Like 1
Mikala

After traveling the world for 37 years, I determined that I can't easily remember everything I need to pack. I started making spreadsheets listing what I was packing in my carry-on, toiletry case, medicine bag and my checked luggage. I retain my packing lists for years since each location requires a modified packing list (UAE versus Chicago versus Hawaii). Along with my packing list, I make a sub-spreadsheet that lists the things I need to get done prior to leaving on the trip, as well as a list of items I need to get done while I'm on the trip. I find these checklists to be invaluable and they've saved me from forgetting anything.

Carry-on list usually consists of:

Noise canceling earphones, pen, capacitive pen, cash (USD, Japanese yen and pesos), b/u battery to recharge electronics, condoms, USB thumb drive, glasses, mini-flashlight, spare batteries, SIM cards for countries I'm going to, tool to remove SIM from iPhone, iPad, iPad charging cable, iPhone charging cable, paper printouts of itineraries, nutrition bar, ibuprofen, anti-acid meds, disposable wet wipes, tissue, screen cleaner, unlocked iPhone, and my USA cellphone.

Toiletry list consists of:

Shaving cream, deoderant, cologne, toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving razor, floss, lip balm and cotton swabs.

Medicine kit consists of:

Ibuprofen, anti-acid, cold/flu, bandages, anti-bacterial cream and anti-diarrhea meds.

Checked baggage always includes a small electronic baggage weight scale, plus a wall outlet USB adapter with plug adapters for various countries.

Before the Trip checklist includes:

Setup the flight, setup hotel, notify banks and credit cards of international travel plans, print out all travel documentation, update iphones and iPad, download e-books, e-magazines and movies to iPad, transfer travel documents to iPad and iPhones, reverify flight times, web check-in on airline.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Speaking of checklist. I just checked Google Android Apps and there are several dozen travel checklist. Several looked to be very complete and easy to use. I assume Apple Apps will have as many if not more to choose from. If anyone has one they like, please list it here.

Sent from Note 3

Humboldt

I always carry sleeping pills ,, take a few  get dopey , spill red wine ,,  glad to have change of clothes on hand .. 

i always like to carry a few large baggies filled with oregano.  never know when the airline food needs some spicing up. :)

• Like 1
mactanfamily

Pair of foam earplugs and a face mask.

Nothing worse than sitting next to a crying kid or an idiot playing a video game with the sound on beep beep bing bang. I've even put my headphones on over the earplugs and blasted the music to shut out the crying.

If you have ever sat next to a sick person coughing and sneezing for 10 hours you will never fly without a mask again.

I also bring a memory foam cushion to sit on. It squeezes pretty small in your bag but is such a difference on a 17 hour flight NY to H.K.

I also use the hot hand towel or sani-wipe they give you to wipe down the remote, armrests and tray table after I wash my hands and face.

Ambien is the ultimate jet lag cure, and there is nothing like knocking off 8 hours of that 12 hour flight!

• Like 1
miles-high

No one carrying a laptop/tablet? :D Or you guys just carry a smartphone? (Some security guys/carriers still not accepting the boarding passes on the phone…)

Anyway, since I replaced my laptop with a tablet (Surface 2), I have to carry an AirStation (probably still the smallest?) as some hotels are still using “wired” Internet… :( At least, this way you can sync all other toys…

• Like 2

After traveling the world for 37 years, I determined that I can't easily remember everything I need to pack. I started making spreadsheets listing what I was packing in my carry-on, toiletry case, medicine bag and my checked luggage. I retain my packing lists for years since each location requires a modified packing list (UAE versus Chicago versus Hawaii). Along with my packing list, I make a sub-spreadsheet that lists the things I need to get done prior to leaving on the trip, as well as a list of items I need to get done while I'm on the trip. I find these checklists to be invaluable and they've saved me from forgetting anything.

Carry-on list usually consists of:

Noise canceling earphones, pen, capacitive pen, cash (USD, Japanese yen and pesos), b/u battery to recharge electronics, condoms, USB thumb drive, glasses, mini-flashlight, spare batteries, SIM cards for countries I'm going to, tool to remove SIM from iPhone, iPad, iPad charging cable, iPhone charging cable, paper printouts of itineraries, nutrition bar, ibuprofen, anti-acid meds, disposable wet wipes, tissue, screen cleaner, unlocked iPhone, and my USA cellphone.

Toiletry list consists of:

Shaving cream, deoderant, cologne, toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving razor, floss, lip balm and cotton swabs.

Medicine kit consists of:

Ibuprofen, anti-acid, cold/flu, bandages, anti-bacterial cream and anti-diarrhea meds.

Checked baggage always includes a small electronic baggage weight scale, plus a wall outlet USB adapter with plug adapters for various countries.

Before the Trip checklist includes:

Setup the flight, setup hotel, notify banks and credit cards of international travel plans, print out all travel documentation, update iphones and iPad, download e-books, e-magazines and movies to iPad, transfer travel documents to iPad and iPhones, reverify flight times, web check-in on airline.

Golly what a lot of of stuff.

Is such a list a sign you were or were not in the boy scouts?

Wow, seems a lot of you guys are the ones who bring two carry ons and take up all the overhead storage. You guys are awesome, thanks.

I bring: a change of cloths, electronic devices (smart phone and tablet) with chargers and headphones, passport and any documents needed. I also have one of those half circle pillows attached to the handle of my bag, but have never used it. Toiletries I buy when I land. If I'm going on vacation I take my rolling carry on to fit more cloths on but even then it'll never go over 8 kilo.

I had, unknowingly, been bringing an unspent paint pall round for an M16 (which consisted of a metal casing) for 8 years. Never once was caught with it. Found it last year when I finally decided to clean my bag out. (still had my original enlistment papers from the military in it).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wow, seems a lot of you guys are the ones who bring two carry ons and take up all the overhead storage. You guys are awesome, thanks.

I fly business, I don't care if I block up the overheads....

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Anyway, since I replaced my laptop with a tablet (Surface 2), I have to carry an AirStation (probably still the smallest?) as some hotels are still using “wired” Internet… :( At least, this way you can sync all other toys…

I agree. I also carry a portable WiFi router. Even if the hotel has WiFi, I've found I get much faster connection to use their wired access. I've also been at hotels where you can only log in with one device at a time on their WiFi network. We usually have two smart phones, an iPad and a laptop. With my portable WiFi Router I can use as many devices as I want. I can power it from 110/220 or USB via my computer.

It is tiny, only 2.2 x 2.2 x 0.7 in The photo below is almost twice the actual size.

I cost less than P1,500

TP-Link-Wireless-N-Nano-R-008.jpg

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1