Does your wife's family insist on laying on your beds when they visit?

I got lice from a barber's shop in manila once....now I take my own comb

Perhaps inviting them all to Ayala instead of your house and paying for them to play in the game center there?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brucewayne

• Wolfpack

• SkyMan

• RogerDuMond

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do your inlaws not clean themselves as they should? I'm actually shocked to hear this, knowing how clean so many wish to be.   I mean, I can see a Filipina coming out of a dirt floored nipa hut - lo

They should get a monkey, then. No, I'm not joking. On one of my earlier visits to the Philippines - maaaaaany moons ago, I saw a monkey, on a chain, picking the lice from a little girl, the child of

Or save some money by locking the front door.

rainymike

When that happened to me, I called my kids out in front of everyone. And, I gave them a proper chewing out for jumping on the furniture and going into the bedroom without my permission. I took a lot of time explaining why that was not appropriate behavior in the house. It was nothing my kids hadn't heard before. But everyone else got the message as well without me being in their faces.

I haven't had head lice problems here in Davao, but it was a big problem in Cebu. Not sure why. But the pharmacy had some decent stuff for it - although the preferred method was to shampoo and use the comb regularly and wash the beddings. I eventually decided that kids don't need chemicals splashed on them. More work, but I thought it was safer.

• Like 2
SkyMan

Your bedroom must be off limit to your wife's relatives. Install a lock on your bedroom door and if you have guest bedroom(s), do the same to the door(s).

Or save some money by locking the front door. :)
  • Like 6
Brucewayne

I got lice from a barber's shop in manila once....now I take my own comb

Perhaps inviting them all to Ayala instead of your house and paying for them to play in the game center there?

No, rthey would be here every day again and I avoid anything that would encourage a visit.

RogerDuMond

Your bedroom must be off limit to your wife's relatives. Install a lock on your bedroom door and if you have guest bedroom(s), do the same to the door(s).

If you have family that doesn't respect closed doors, you have bigger problems than head lice, but the wife should handle this. She needs to set boundaries and force anyone coming into the house to respect them. There isn't a kid or an adult in Dalia's family that would go in any room in our house that had a closed door because they know she would hand them their ass in a paper bag.

• Like 4
Jess Bartone

Hot oil treatments work well, but are too expensive.

I understand that warm* coconut oil rubbed liberally into the scalp and through the hair, then covered with a shower cap and left for at least an hour, drowns the little buggers. An insect's method of breathing is through gill-like structures, which when covered in oil (especially when quite warm for penetration) cease functioning eventually, or somehow block the oxygen.

* (warmer than body temp but not hot enough to scald... about as hot as a bath you can get into without hesitating)

Edited by Jess Bartone
  • Like 1
Brucewayne

If you have family that doesn't respect closed doors, you have bigger problems than head lice, but the wife should handle this. She needs to set boundaries and force anyone coming into the house to respect them. There isn't a kid or an adult in Dalia's family that would go in any room in our house that had a closed door because they know she would hand them their ass in a paper bag.

I wish my wife felt the same way your wife does.

When I complain, she says "They are my family".

What about Marci and myself, aren't we her family too and aren't we deserving of privacy and a clean, healthy environment?

• Like 1
Brucewayne

I understand that warm* coconut oil rubbed liberally into the scalp and through the hair, then covered with a shower cap and left for at least an hour, drowns the little buggers. An insect's method of breathing is through gill-like structures, which when covered in oil (especially when quite warm for penetration) cease functioning eventually, or somehow block the oxygen.

* (warmer than body temp but not hot enough to scald... about as hot as a bath you can get into without hesitating)

I have used warm cooking oil and it works, but it is a pain to get out of your hair once you are finished.

Lock the bedroom doors...

I tried that once and ended up with a broken door knob/locking assembly.

Took a trip to the hardware store and back plus time to install a new one and about P450 for the new door knob.

streak03

I have used warm cooking oil and it works, but it is a pain to get out of your hair once you are finished.

I tried that once and ended up with a broken door knob/locking assembly.

Took a trip to the hardware store and back plus time to install a new one and about P450 for the new door knob.

I guess if that would happen I would weigh in and just let them know they aren't welcome.  Of course, I have never ever had that problem with my wife's family at all, they are great people.  Or..maybe you need to get a better door knob and lock.

Edited by streak03
Brucewayne

I guess if that would happen I would weigh in and just let them know they aren't welcome.  Of course, I have never ever had that problem with my wife's family at all, they are great people.  Or..maybe you need to get a better door knob and lock.

Her family is not intentionally rude, just a bit misdirected.

I think of the Beverly Hillbillies when it comes to their actions.

They are always curious and taking things apart that aren't meant to come apart.

I don't like to hurt their feelings, but most of them are afraid to come around here anymore.

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

Her family is not intentionally rude, just a bit misdirected.

I think of the Beverly Hillbillies when it comes to their actions.

They are always curious and taking things apart that aren't meant to come apart.

I don't like to hurt their feelings, but most of them are afraid to come around here anymore.

How about buying bed covers or having some made.

Brucewayne

How about buying bed covers or having some made.

I was thinking more along the lines of electrified bed covers.

I was raised not to sit on a bed, especially some elses bed, so it is hard for me to keep my mouth shut when one or more of them even enter my bedroom for what ever reason they might have for doing so.

Copenhagen

The heamd lice problem is certainly not a 3rd world problem only. I have lived in both the States and here in Denmark with 3 daughters with lovely and long hair. Both places they regularly picked it up in school or when playing with friends. I know the drill with shampoos - preferably imported - and putting combs and hairbrushes in the freezer to kill the little buggars. .

Jess Bartone

Generic cooking oil is tantamount to poison... won't go into that here...

Cold processed "virgin" coconut oil on the other hand  is a magic bullet, good for coughs, colds and sore holes... also excellent for moisturising dry hair (applied before washing, the coconut oil molecules bypass the dirt and are naturally sucked into the hair shaft), so kill two birds with one stone. After the hour or so soaking, wash with a quality shampoo (not 2-in-1) once only, then mix a raw egg with a quality conditioner and rub it into the hair... definitely no heat at this stage or the egg will cook partially and oh, what a mess... half an hour later, rinse with cold water and eh voila, soft shining hair and no bloody nits. Tell your wife's family about it with grave authoritative integrity and it might catch on... the lice problem may diminish somewhat over time.

My wife suffered from dry hair and always wanted to cut the ends... half an inch at a time soon adds up... you know I only married her for her hair... so I researched the matter and the treatment described above is the best way for straight black Asian hair... and it kills those infernal head lice. I am also willing to bet a liberal body rub with virgin coconut oil would play havoc with body lice too.

• Like 1