Sign in to follow this  
Kim_

Filipino Fishermen Improvise Refrigerator Boats

Kim_

Inventive but looks a bit unsafe...

After losing their boats and houses in Super Typhoon Haiyan, fishermen from a destroyed village in Tanauan started building two-seated boats out of abandoned refrigerators and wood. Fisherman Jimmy Obaldo got the idea for the first boat from his children, and soon others followed his lead. These improvised vessels appear to be successfully afloat, and the fishermen are making small catches, as documented by Reuters photographer Damir Sagolj.

s_f01_RTX15L8J.jpg

more here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/11/filipino-fishermen-improvise-refrigerator-boats/100632/

• Like 5

Brucewayne

When ya gotta eat, ya gotta fish somehow.

Great idea actually, I just hope they are safe because as you say, it sure looks precarious.

• Like 1

broden

old refrigerators are one of the most useful things to rednecks the world over.. from boats to smokers to tons of other things.. their uses seem to be endless

• Like 2

philuk

A mate of mine has one in his bedroom for a wardrobe

• Like 1

Brucewayne

old refrigerators are one of the most useful things to rednecks the world over.. from boats to smokers to tons of other things.. their uses seem to be endless

I always kept welding rods and tools in my broken ref.

• Like 1

broden

I always kept welding rods and tools in my broken ref.

we used one as a giant spice cabinet

never thought of using one as a boat .. but may make a smoker out of one some time they are perfect for that 

Brucewayne

we used one as a giant spice cabinet

never thought of using one as a boat .. but may make a smoker out of one some time they are perfect for that 

Just be careful of overheating, things inside might melt and the thin metal might rust out real quick.

• Like 1

Alfred E. Neuman

My worker used it as an aquarium.

Hy H

Ambulance driver mate I know in Hot,  Far northern Queensland Australia had one on his veranda, ¾ full of water and a hose from vacuum cleaner outlet side hooked into it .

Hot days after work he tossed a bag of ice in it, brought a small ice chest with six beers close to it , packet of smokes and a day’s newspaper , switched the Hoover on for few bubbles, sat in it until missus called him inside for dinner.

:thumbs_up:

• Like 1

Monsoon

Everyone knows that refrigerators in the Philippines are used for storing food on top of them. 

• Like 2

manly4eva

The uncle of my wifes' boat.Only used to get to the big boat,not for fishing.post-15949-0-92607200-1399819240_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

KID

I know a guy who uses one as a worm farm --- night crawlers are almost $3 a dozen now days---- getting expensive for a redneck to go play with the fishies  fisherman-smiley-emoticon.gif

Brucewayne

Everyone knows that refrigerators in the Philippines are used for storing food on top of them. 

And water inside.

Brucewayne

I know a guy who uses one as a worm farm --- night crawlers are almost $3 a dozen now days---- getting expensive for a redneck to go play with the fishies  fisherman-smiley-emoticon.gif

I never bought worms, I had two rods that I hooked to a car battery and that brought tons of worms right to me for free, considering the rods were old welding rods that I knocked the flux off of, the battery and jumper cables were already in my arsenal and the car was always in the driveway, right next to the garden.

I took in worms like I took in fish, the lazy way.

ozboy

post-7902-0-37328000-1399852992_thumb.jpgHave any of you guys seen or caught any of these rare fish?  They are apatly named ''Pig Fish''

• Like 2