What do you think of the Public Education here in the Philippines

Well I can attest....to something quite different than what you state.  Asawa is a 4th year English teacher (high school) and in the last 5 years the SMALLEST CLASS she's had is 53.  And according to other teachers I have talked to that is not abnormal.  Yes some areas may have fewer ...but perhaps that is due to 1)population, 2) other educational choices 3) areas where not all the kids go to school....

In our barangay there is an elementary and high school. Both are way overcrowded and have constant needs to repair structures. My sister-in-law is an elementary school teacher and most classes have well over forty to fifty students. In addition, there is a chronic shortage of textbooks, so children have to share books, as well as desks.

I would not know if this is true in all areas, but what I read and see in news reports is this is a problem of long-standing. Will likely become worsened when the K-12 becomes fully functional. Instead of students departing after four years in high school, they will remain an additional two years. This will make for some challenging scheduling of classes.

I seem to recall some reports of students in the NCR having to take classes in morning or afternoon shifts. Essentially, allowing the schools to double up classes without adding more space.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Majorsco

• USMC-Retired

• rfm010

• Jawny

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This topic has come up before and the question is asked, Can a child get a good education in the Philippines? My own son completed the curriculum at Caraga Regional Science High School which is a publ

Well stated. The quality of education all boils down to this...     This is also my opinion...     Except I believe there are two factors involved in this. Cheating is definitely a problem, It

Boy the pinoy -bashers seem to be having a field day. So if listening to them, if an expat comes here and has children then quickly move back to your host country, or you will be an irresponsible pare

angbumabasa

Here is S. Leyte is the complaint that maybe 1/3 of public school teachers are really not qualified to teach. Nanay for example, survived the WWII occupation by moving to the mountains and really did not complete her tersiary education until after the war was over. It was about 1950 before she could speak/write fluent Bisayan/English, and be conversant in Tagaloig. She taught in the mountains where she would walk one hour to/from classes. The complaint here is that 1/3 of current teachers not only can't be conversant in Tagalog/Filipino, but no English..This was in Southern Leyte Times. So my perspective would be that to define public education in country is to define it by locale. Some good, and some not so good. 

The comments above by Loy and Headshot are right on regarding educational practices here. I have three children in schools and what Headshot described is exactly what my kids experience.

A simple blessing I've had with our children is they realize the teachers, and by extension the school, is not really going to give them the education they desire. It is the effort they make to learn that will help them. For instance, the schools have textbooks, but many of the teachers fail to use them. Instead, they will use some notes they have from their undergraduate days in college. No matter that the notes are first, out of date, and second, using terms and language way beyond the grades my kids are in.

One of our least favorite teachers (he has the nickname "Balut Boy" in our family) doesn't even bother to teach. He shows up to ramble on a bit about the topic at hand, and then gossips for most of the time. At the end of the class, he sends to one of the class leaders, a link to a PowerPoint covering the material. For this he uses Facebook, so along with the file, he can gossip about which kids have which "crush" My son ends up being the kid who gets the power point and prints it for the class. Unfortunately, we have a bad internet connection and some days it is hard to get the file to download properly. Not the teacher's problem. He has passed the problem to the kids.

Bad as this sounds, it is simply the way things go here and we have adapted to it.

One of the teachers spent three or four months teaching trigonometry before he actually used a chalk board which the students found for him. We have adapted to this by downloading a lot of apps and wolfram alpha stuff.

We have one child headed to college soon and I had the misfortune to look at a typical curriculum for a BS in biology....commonly used as a prelude to medical school. Much of the material was what you would expect such as the hard sciences. Of course, there was a "PE" requirement which even included "rhythmic activities"......I am guessing this was dance?

One entire semester is devoted to "Life and works of Rizal".

Our children are doing well, but mostly because we support them as best we can. For many families here, this support takes the form of having someone "assist" them with their homework. It amazes me to learn just how many kids can turn in exactly the same assignment, word for word, and not be called out for plagiarism. The result to be achieved is to be awarded "honor" at each grading period.

I recall a sad day for one Lola here when her granddaughter was unable to pass the entrance exam to our school. She had assumed that her granddaughter, an "honor" student her entire elementary school life, could not pass a simple entrance exam. The stunning shock brought the woman to tears when she saw the list of who was being admitted.

Basically it seems all the schools here have the same problem, some more severe. The private elementary school that our daughter attend is decent but also lacking in many ways. My wife niece and a very bright girl of 12 yrs. old at the time was able to pass the Ph. Science high School entrance exam. The valedictorian from the same 6th. grade class failed the test. Go figure.  My wife a high school science teacher, taught here for one year and decided that is not what she wanted to do. Now that we are back here living her mom want my wife to go back to teaching. Reason is, Mom can boast that her daughter is a teacher. Starting salary is  about P8000.00 per month. Her time is better spent taking care of our child than in the class room. Our aim is to get our child into the Ph. Science high school which is in our area. Then later into a good college in Manila or maybe even back to the U.S. Seems like our daughter is talented in many ways but we just have to wait for her to develop and grow. Try and guide her the best way we can. So many things can go wrong here.  We'll see.

I personally am not a big FAN of educational systems around the world which are Government sponsored and controlled. I think the public education in the USA is such a waste of money and has so many problems. If it were up to me there would be no department of education in the USA I think they are a total waste of time, like most of the other departments like the IRS, EPA, OSHA, Energy; my list is too long to complete.

But my question here is when you see this country, the Philippines, and how they do public education what do you have to say about it both good and bad. I think there are many good things to say about it and I also think there are many things they can improve upon. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the subject – especially those of you who actually live here and make this your home and perhaps even have your kids in school. Now let’s not get into PRIVATE schools…that’s a whole other Animal for another Topic I think. Let’s just keep this post for your thoughts about the Government sponsored Public Education here. NOT COLLEGE because that’s all Private stuff. Pre-school to 2nd year HS is what I’m asking about. What thoughts would you like to share with me and others?

Can expert's kids even go to public schools? If not how are any of the parents of the kids on this forum supposed to comment on them?
contraman

Can expert's kids even go to public schools? If not how are any of the parents of the kids on this forum supposed to comment on them?

Could someone translate this for me please, English or French will be fine ? :)

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

I read it three times, i am not sure wtf he is saying.

Tomaw seriously wtf?

Bah Humbug

• Like 1

i think he meant "expat" not "expert".  if so the answer to his (first) question is yes.

Peuvent experts enfants même aller à l'école publique? sinon, comment faire les parents sur ce forum les commenter?

• Like 2

Yes, an expats kids can go to public schools. Citizenship of the children is not an issue so far as I have experienced. Of course, many expats children will have dual citizenship. Some of the posts have come from members with family members who are teachers in public schools. I have a sister-in-law and other relatives who teach in public schools. I'm glad to share the comments they pass along.

• 3 weeks later...
to_dave007

One high school near where I am went almost a year without an Administrator (Principal) after the previous one passed away. The library stayed locked up all that time. When they finally got a new Administrator she really was a very good one, and she restored order in the school and got things back on track quickly.

But when she finally reopened the library.... you'll love this..

.. insects had eaten half of the books.

Bet they don't have THAT problem in Boston or New York or Sydney.

Edited by to_dave007

It has a lot to do with corruption within the school admin....my missus took on the role of treasurer only because she was friends with the head teacher and was thus persuaded...

After 2 weeks of trying to balance the spending she found so many missing funds. She wanted to bring it up at the next meeting until I made her realize she was playing with fire and too just resign quoting whatever but not what she found out and had to sign off for..

Cheap low quality Rice donated by Barangay for needy kids was sold off to friends by teacher.

Repairs and getting the only CR to work....charged out but never got done.

Security guard employed and wages paid until our classroom was burgled and the fans, water cooler etc we donated was stolen....guess what there was never a security guard employed...

As to class sizes..thats a joke in itself..lol

• Like 1