What do you think of the Public Education here in the Philippines

USMC-Retired

No but 284 dollars is not enough and shows the state of education in the PH. Quality does come at a price. There is almost no way at that cost educational standards would be met.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Majorsco

• USMC-Retired

• rfm010

• Jawny

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This topic has come up before and the question is asked, Can a child get a good education in the Philippines? My own son completed the curriculum at Caraga Regional Science High School which is a publ

Well stated. The quality of education all boils down to this...     This is also my opinion...     Except I believe there are two factors involved in this. Cheating is definitely a problem, It

Boy the pinoy -bashers seem to be having a field day. So if listening to them, if an expat comes here and has children then quickly move back to your host country, or you will be an irresponsible pare

Majorsco

No but 284 dollars is not enough

Why exactly is it not enought?  What do you think it should be?  Are you going to fund the Philippine government to let them spend what you think they should spend?  What are your educational qualifications to justify what ever number you select?

Remember, salaries are the largest expense in any educational system.  Salaries of Filipinos are much lower than the US, much, much lower.  As I stated in an earlier post, here in my location, they are 10-14K monthly, which is a pretty good salary for Dapitan.  Most government salaries are similar.

The one thing that would be the biggest help would be to solve the book sharing problem.  That would require only a modest amount of additional funding.  In the private school my kids attend, the kids pay for their books, but then they get to write in them and keep them, or sell them to the next near's students. 

Look around here and are the schools maintained any better or worse than any other government building (outside NCR, as that is a different situation)?  The schools here in Dapitan are actually in better shape than nearly any other government building (City Hall is the exception, since we just had a new one built). 

I continue to maintain, that the quality of the school is not based on how much money it receives, but on what the educational results are.  It's not a you get what you pay for issue. 

USMC-Retired

Ok that explains nothing. It is third world and if you think sending your kids there is good for them then do it. They are not to the standard of any western society. Simple, you can try and kid yourself into thinking they are quality institutions. Funny you defend public schools yet send your kids to private. Enough said.

There will always be exceptional exceptions. majority of population is urbanized and suffers low level education as a result, still something like 20,000 class rooms to be be built and pro rata number of teachers to be recruited.

Provincial schools can be a better option especially if the local politician has a positive impact....now that is a crap shoot.

As for private education, it is the only way ahead for us

Edited by spooks
Majorsco

Ok that explains nothing. It is third world and if you think sending your kids there is good for them then do it. They are not to the standard of any western society. Simple, you can try and kid yourself into thinking they are quality institutions. Funny you defend public schools yet send your kids to private. Enough said.

Yes, its a third world country, and you obviously condemn the Philippines for being one.

What standards?  No such thing.  European schools are generally better, and so are the Korean and Japanese. 

American schools are on a rapid declline,  Philippine schools are getting better.  Yes, they need improvements, but I would not knock their efforts.  As with any major city, schools in the cities are much more difficult than the rural schools. 

I'm lucky that I'm in a provincial setting.  The schools are generally decent here.

Yes, I send my kids to a private school.  I can afford to.  That doesn't mean that the local schools are bad, just that the private schools are better.  They provide better security for the kids, the kids don't have to do the school grounds maintenance that are done in the public schools, and they are exposed to a religious education that is more than the relatively secular education in the public schools.  Maybe you think I shouldn't offer that to my kids, well.   ....................

USMC-Retired

The question asked what we think of public education. It is poor enough you send your children to private school. What else needs to said. If it is so good save some cash and send them to public school.

• Like 1
Majorsco

It is poor enough you send your children to private school

So you didn't even read what I posted. 

Yes, I send my kids to a private school. I can afford to. That doesn't mean that the local schools are bad, just that the private schools are better. They provide better security for the kids, the kids don't have to do the school grounds maintenance that are done in the public schools, and they are exposed to a religious education that is more than the relatively secular education in the public schools. Maybe you think I shouldn't offer that to my kids, well. ....................

Well, I post it again, so maybe you can actually read it. 

By your logic, or lack there of, if someone can afford to send their child to the best schools in the area that provides a good Catholic education, shouldn't.  That doesn't demean the public schools.  Same with sending someone to a parochial school in the US. 

You don't get it or don't want to because your preconceived notions rule.  Why do you live in the country, youu obviously dislike?

"Why do you live in the country, you obviously dislike?"

Not a worthy comment by any standards let alone aimed at someone who lived here , taught here and married with kids opted to leave for the sake of those kids.

At least your posts are consistent in their obnoxiousness

Edited by spooks
  • Like 1
USMC-Retired

They are bad simple you can try and justify it. Yet public school is horrible for 99% that attend. Overcrowded and underfunded. Simple, No I moved because of many reason one being how bad education is in the Philippines. I did tons of research on education in the philippines prior to my notion of its horrible. I would never reccomend as you are a person to place their children in Public School in the Philippines.

Well in our case we were putting 5 kids thru a public school....we tried to get directly involved by supplying fans for the hot classrooms with around 50-60 kids, drinking water, nothing could be done about the 1 CR that the kids preferred not to use instead did their business behind the school. BTW the guard saw nothing the night the classroom got burgled and the fans, watercooler n other donated things were stolen....

My wife resigned as PTA president after 2 weeks when the treasurer could not justify what the Barangay funds were used for, Too many days off when students turned up and there was no school cause teacher had family issues or some other excuse.....

Next term we will try n enroll them in an all English school but at 3,000 (Approx) enrolment plus around 1,500 per month plus books, it gets expensive sending 5 kids between 5-10 to get educated and not learn to sing n dance...

BUT.....the kids here are really well disciplined n courteous to their teachers than kids back home...if only the education facilities matched their eagerness to learn....

Majorsco

Yet public school is horrible for 99% that attend. Overcrowded and underfunded.

I have yet to see any school any where that would say they are over funded.  Yes, there is underfundiing, but the results of the children being educated to be able to read, write, and do their math, etc. is still effective for those who actually complete school.  There is a lot of drop outs for a lot of reasons.  Truancy is not enforced here.

I have no idea where the 99% figure comes from.  What study produced that?  I admit that some schools are better and worse than others.  That does not translate into every school is horrible.

I can respect your decision to have your kids taught where ever you want.  In my case I pulled my American born children out of American schools in a well to do Chicago suburb because of how bad those schools are and moved to the Philippines to get a better education for them.  Yes, the schools were very pretty, and well maintained, but the education sucked!  Lots of focus on all the PC topics of the day, but very little on reading, writing, math, science etc.  No wonder many kids can't read or balance a check book when they graduate.   

I monitor the education my kids receive here, and it is a hundred times better than what they were getting in the US, in terms of the education itself, which is much more important than what the building looks like, whether its painted or not, etc.

Now, I understand that not every situation or location is the same, and to trash me for sending my kids to a private school vs a public school is not appreciated.  I want them to have the best and a religious education. 

rainymike

It might be more useful to ask yourself what you want from a school. Then decide what schools can offer it. Public vs private is too broad. I've sent my kids to privates. We've moved around a bit so I've experienced a wide range of quality among the privates. I believe the same is true for the publics.

I choose private because it places my kids closer to an upwardly mobile working class. On the other hand, I avoid the elite privates as well. This holds for the city setting. If I lived in the countryside, I probably would consider a decent public as an alternative.

Publics may be short on funding, but I believe educational success depends on 3 things: school/teachers, parents/community and the student. A well motivated student with supportive parents can succeed in public or private.

We give too much power to schools in the learning process. I think its a western way of thinking where parents pass the responsibility of education to schools. In some respects, the imperfect educational situation in the Philippines requires parents to be very engaged in education. I think that's good.

• Like 2
cebubird

Well, I just found out they begin teaching rudeness at an early age. Our 3 year old came home and written in daily "homework" assignment book, was a note to bring a gift to his teacher for Valentine Day. I wrote a polite note telling her it was rude to ASK for gifts, and PLEASE don't ever do that again.

Edited by cebubird
  • Like 1
USMC-Retired

There are many articles on the state of Philippine education here is a recent one:

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2013/06/19/phil-j18.html

If anyone thinks Philippine public education is for them or think it is even a good education should read that.

Majorsco

There are many articles on the state of Philippine education here is a recent one:

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2013/06/19/phil-j18.html

If anyone thinks Philippine public education is for them or think it is even a good education should read that.

Never said there were not issues in Philippine education.  There are a lot off issues caused by the K-12 program that has caused a huge problem with not enough facilities because there are two new grades that they didn't plan for and have to squeeze in.  Same with the need for more teachers without preparation for the implementation.

If you add two two grades nation wide in a single year with no prior teacher training program and facility expansion, this is what you get.  But it's a step in the right direction however.

Now, if you change the name from Philippines to many cities in the US, you can have similar articles.  Here are a few.

http://broadeducation.org/about/crisis_stats.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/19/us-usa-education-equity-idUSBRE91I15820130219

http://www.nea.org/home/49988.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/12/school-maintenance-report_n_2858279.html

• Like 1