What do you think of the Public Education here in the Philippines

storybrook

I personally am not a big FAN of educational systems around the world which are Government sponsored and controlled.  I think the public education in the USA is such a waste of money and has so many problems.  If it were up to me there would be no department of education in the USA I think they are a total waste of time, like most of the other departments like the IRS, EPA, OSHA, Energy; my list is too long to complete.

But my question here is when you see this country, the Philippines, and how they do public education what do you have to say about it both good and bad.  I think there are many good things to say about it and I also think there are many things they can improve upon.  Just wondering what your thoughts are on the subject – especially those of you who actually live here and make this your home and perhaps even have your kids in school.  Now let’s not get into PRIVATE schools…that’s a whole other Animal for another Topic I think.  Let’s just keep this post for your thoughts about the Government sponsored Public Education here.  NOT COLLEGE because that’s all Private stuff.  Pre-school to 2nd year HS is what I’m asking about.  What thoughts would you like to share with me and others?

• Like 2
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Majorsco

• USMC-Retired

• rfm010

• Jawny

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This topic has come up before and the question is asked, Can a child get a good education in the Philippines? My own son completed the curriculum at Caraga Regional Science High School which is a publ

Well stated. The quality of education all boils down to this...     This is also my opinion...     Except I believe there are two factors involved in this. Cheating is definitely a problem, It

Boy the pinoy -bashers seem to be having a field day. So if listening to them, if an expat comes here and has children then quickly move back to your host country, or you will be an irresponsible pare

My daughter is at pre school in Bohol. I took her one day and was amazed at what 3 year olds were being taught. Solids, liquids and gases as well as abc, numerals and basic geography. They have regular exams too. A far more education based pre school than in the Middle East.

• Like 4

I think there are many good things to say about it

such as?

pre-school for those who can avail of it here is often quite good, perhaps too good, as it seems they are often designed to prepare kids to take entrance exams for elementary school.  we were fortunate with our daughter to have her in a good preschool that focused more on getting along and following directions and generally getting used to the structured setting of a classroom.  i remember when the brat was being interviewed for entrance to a private elementary school many of the mommies were giving their kids last minute drills on spelling and counting and such.  which is not what her school was interested in--they wanted to see how she would adjust to being in school and such--just what her preschool focused on.   but the mindset of so many families is start the education early in order to get into a good school.  maybe not too much wrong with that except that from 1st or 2nd grade onward, the system here quickly falls apart.

storybrook

such as?

I will respond to this later in this post after others have given their pros and cons.  I’d like to see what others have to say first before I share my Pros or cons.  Just keep following and you will hear my answer in time. 

jtmwatchbiz

Just keep following and you will hear my answer in time.

we're all sitting on the edge of our seats.

in the meanwhile i will say i heard some of the schools are real big and look nice. 

• Like 3

awaiting with bated breath, or as my wife has just pointed out, more like baited breath.  time to go brush some teeth.

storybrook, you have cut out discussion on the last 2 years of high school.  for any particular reason?  

as far as public sponsored schools, would you like the science high schools included, or would you prefer to keep them separate? 

• Like 3
For Real

I think public education in the Philippines should be free. Then I could pay less for private education.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

You think US public education is a joke, well Philippine public education is at least million times worse. Honestly its that bad in the metro areas. Get further out and it does get better but not even close to US public schools.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk

Humboldt

I'm Done time to flush the toilet , and leave the school building , bye 

• Like 2

I'm Done time to flush the toilet , and leave the school building , bye 

one thing about public schools here is that often the toilets don't work.  lack of water, broken parts, whatever.  hope you didn't break the seat while squatting on it, and that you wiped your footprints off when done.  consideration for the next person, don't you know...

my daughter developed a strong bladder as she refused to use the cr in school, and not being a boy, didn't quite feel right about pissing on the nearest lamppost.

• Like 4

I think as a general rule (meaning there are exceptions to this) the quality of the school will be closely related to how much the parent is paying said school in tuition.

As far as the public schools here. It is hit and miss regardless of what city or province you are in. Now the child's willingness to learn will likely be based off of there parents profession. A farming family probably won't push their kids to get an education as hard as a family that is in the middle to upper class would. Large families will probably push their kids to get jobs to support the family instead of furthering their education.

Poverty is a vicious circle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

storybrook

storybrook, you have cut out discussion on the last 2 years of high school.  for any particular reason?   as far as public sponsored schools, would you like the science high schools included, or would you prefer to keep them separate?

In the Philippines the last two years of High School is called College. But I'm sorry for the confusion. What I should have said was high school and left it at that.  I was thinking when I said it that there are only 2 years of high school but in reality they call it 1 year 2nd year 3 year and 4th year of high school you are right I misspoke. Sorry about that!

In this country they don’t have what in the USA is known as Jr. High School they mix the years after grammar school  into 4 years of what they call high school here. But in reality they are 2 years short of what an American thinks of as a High School Education because they have had 6 years of Grammar school and 4 years of high school making a total of 10 years or grades -  Where as in the USA you go to school for 12 years.

So I was thinking that they are 2 years short which is why my old brain skipped a beat and said 1 and 2n year.  I did mean to make this post about the whole 10 years..  Sorry I’m getting old and my brain does that sometimes now!

Majorsco

In this country they don’t have what in the USA is known as Jr. High School they mix the years after grammar school into 4 years of what they call high school here. But in reality they are 2 years short of what an American thinks of as a High School Education because they have had 6 years of Grammar school and 4 years of high school making a total of 10 years or grades - Where as in the USA you go to school for 12 years.

You were correct last, year, but no longer.  This year 2013/2014 school year, the Philippines has implemented the K+12 program to bring the number of years of school to be on par with the rest of the world.  They are doing K, plus 6 years of grammar school, four years of something like middle school, and two years of high school.  Depending on where the student is in the grades, they may still be under the old rules for a year or two.

Initially, the President initiated it with effectively an Executive Proclamation, but the Congress since formalized it and the President signed it into law a few months ago.

As to school quality, my kids are in a local private school and they are learning well above what their US counterparts are doing in terms of the early grades.  My son, for example is reading, doing multiplication, and doing science including weather, various earth sciences, and early biology.  He's only in first grade. The biggest thing is that, other than religion (since my kids are in a Catholic school), there is none of the typical PC indoctrination subjects that I've seen the US schools get into.  They concentrate on the three R's, plus religion and Philippine subjects.  My daughter is in 4th grade and she's doing computers along with the arts (music, dance, and art).

In the US, curricula have been getting wider away from the three R's and bringing in many extraneous subjects that distract from the primary education.  Additionally, the US, just passes on kids that can't perform, even graduating kids that cant read, write, or balance a check book. 

• Like 3
storybrook

You were correct last, year, but no longer.  This year 2013/2014 school year, the Philippines has implemented the K+12 program to bring the number of years of school to be on par with the rest of the world.  They are doing K, plus 6 years of grammar school, four years of something like middle school, and two years of high school.  Depending on where the student is in the grades, they may still be under the old rules for a year or two.   Initially, the President initiated it with effectively an Executive Proclamation, but the Congress since formalized it and the President signed it into law a few months ago.

Wow very cool.  I had not heard about this.  Thanks for being me up to date.  I don’t think anyone I know has heard about it either so I’ll be passing the word around.  Again thanks for that Breaking news! 

I hope it doesn’t end up like a road project here in the Philippines that now takes years to implement and get done.  This is a great move on the part of the Government.  Now if they would just support the schools with enough money so they can at least have things like a FAN in the rooms on these hot summer days. 

I’m always so distressed to talk to teachers and learn that out of their own pockets they are buying supplies like a fan or something because there is “No Budget”.  It think it’s a terrible thing, that they don’t teach typing in the schools here.  I know many kids over the years who have come to my home to use a computer once I introduced them to Mavis Beacon they worked very hard to learn how to type and improve those skills to use a keyboard which are so important for so many jobs now a days. 

Touch screens are find if you want to work at Jollibee all your life, which for some is the best job they will have in their lives and I’m glad those jobs are available but for other jobs being able to type on a keyboard is critical to being able to get and hold a better job in this computer world that we all live in now.

Wonderful news about a new 12 year school system going into effect!

JamesMusslewhite

This topic has come up before and the question is asked, Can a child get a good education in the Philippines? My own son completed the curriculum at Caraga Regional Science High School which is a public school. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caraga_Regional_Science_High_School

So I will tell the facts as I know them

Fact: His education prepared him to test high enough to be accepted in any University here in the Philippines.

Fact: there are over 18,000 registered Universities world wide.

Fact: the University of the Philippines, Ateneo de Manila University, University of Santo Tomas and De La Salle University each ranked in the top 701 Universities world wide in 2013.

So if one chooses to simply disregard the possibility that some comments perhaps derive from possible personal prejudice and or mere conjecture, and one rather chooses to focus on the known and verifiable facts, than one could easily conclude that a quality education is obtainable here in the Philippines. This is of course if the parents are willing to take the time to properly research schools, are willing to locate to where the better schools are located and their children are actually willing to properly apply themselves in their studies.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 8