Sign in to follow this  
cebubird

Why not report that she is a scammer?

cebubird

That is a very valid concern, especially the way some states have written up their domestic violence laws. I had a friend with a chain of pawnshops in S. Dakota and Wyoming. One night a neighbor called the cops and reported there was a domestic dispute at their house. There was no dispute, and both husband and wife told the police that. However, the way S. Dakota had written their law, they had to make an arrest on any domestic violence call. They arrested him. Afterwards legally he could not go into his own pawnshops as they had firearms in them (the largest part of his business). He had to shut down and/or sell all of his pawnshops as he could no longer run them. Under the law, one with an arrest for domestic violence, even if dismissed (as it was), cannot be in possession of a firearm.

But I think the chances of problems coming from other Filipinas, co-workers, friends, church groups, etc., is much larger than the problem coming from any attorney. We have had several visa clients that should have hired us to check her out first, but for visa clients we do not meddle in their relationship, even if it becomes obvious to us the girl is a scammer. If they don't ask, we don't tell.

I really don't know of any way one could be 100% certain this would not happen to them. Even if one chooses wisely, as has been stated people change, and poo occurs...

Just curious Larry, as to why you wouldn't tell the client she is a scammer. Seems to me like a disservice to the clie                Maybe you think the client wouldn't believe you anyway. Don't mean to stray off topic, just curious since youmentioned this.

Paul

Bill, you can just as easily start a NEW topic, as you can to go off topic. Now, please stay on topic, within a given topic. 

Paul

Just curious Larry, as to why you wouldn't tell the client she is a scammer. Seems to me like a disservice to the clie                Maybe you think the client wouldn't believe you anyway. Don't mean to stray off topic, just curious since youmentioned this.

Bill, I remember the couple he is talking about. 

When we (JJ and I) were running PMC while we were still in Cebu together, we had people whom had hired us for others services, yet tried to "pry" information from us regarding the person they were involved with. I would never reveal it. Business is business. As Larry stated, they can pay just as anyone else does.

Incidentally, you also do not tell your closest friends whom you hang out with, anything about their wives being bad. If you do, as he has stated, it can ruin friendships, it can cause those friends to accuse you of wanting to: destroy their relationships, sleep with their wives, or just cause problems between them because "you" aren't happy, according to them. So, in a business like that, you learn to keep your mouth shut. 

• Like 6

Monsoon

Um that would be like a real estate agent not selling a house to a couple because they can clearly see the wife is a gold digger. Or a divorce attorney who wouldn't accept a retainer because he thinks there might be a chance of reconciliation. 

He wasn't hired to give relationship advice. He was hired to process a visa! When I go fill up my car, I don't want the gas station attendant trying to tell me my car is a piece of shit! 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 4

cebubird

Years ago I had a very good friend, whom I tried to convince his girl was a scammer. We had her on video saying how she had a different phone for him, a different phone for her family, and yet a different phone for her other "clients", and how all she wanted from him was a "house and lot". He decided his relationship with her was stronger than  his long time friendship with me. It was the end of the friendship, and we had been through a lot of shit together. 

Since then our visa clients are visa clients only, and our investigation clients are our investigation clients only, and we do not volunteer information between the two. If a visa client asks, we may tell them if we think we feel something is amiss, but will not specify. If they want an investigation, that is over and above, and not affiliated with, the visa process.

To try to convince someone of what they do not want to know can only lead to problems. If they really want to know, they can pay for that information just as everyone else does.

Well, that's what I figured Larry, and since I know you, I could have just emailed you-mainly I was curious as to why you mentioned it in your post. As always have to get smartalec junk from people like the last poster.

Thanks to you also Paul-why not just close this as it will only cause a lot more jerk responses.

Art

About a week ago I was watching an interview on TV with a Federal Fraud investigator investigating business scams stated that around 70% of business people they approached exposing the scams and advising them to not continue, showing them evidence, still kept on sending money.  I was shocked if a police investigator showed up telling me stuff like that I would listen and do my due diligence, good grief!  He also said it was around the same percentage with relational scams too.  There is something wrong with people or as PT Barnum said "There is a sucker born every minute"  something like that.  It seems people want to be scammed.    Who do you believe becomes a very important question? 

It shocked me because of how high the percentage of disbelievers were until then I thought it might have been a small percentage of people who would not listen to the cops telling them they were being scammed. 

• Like 1

cebubird

Um that would be like a real estate agent not selling a house to a couple because they can clearly see the wife is a gold digger. Or a divorce attorney who wouldn't accept a retainer because he thinks there might be a chance of reconciliation. 

He wasn't hired to give relationship advice. He was hired to process a visa! When I go fill up my car, I don't want the gas station attendant trying to tell me my car is a piece of shit! 

Doing good til that last line. When I go to gas station, I CERTAINLY expect the attendant to tell me if he sees something wrong-especially a safety issue.

• Like 1

lamoe

Doing good til that last line. When I go to gas station, I CERTAINLY expect the attendant to tell me if he sees something wrong-especially a safety issue.

Last line - wasn't about capabilities was about appearance.  A piece of shit is not the same as a piece of junk.

• Like 1

Monsoon

Trust me, you don't want the kids working at gas  stations here doing anything but putting fuel in your car. 

• Like 3

AlooGobi

There is something wrong with people or as PT Barnum said "There is a sucker born every minute" something like that. It seems people want to be scammed.

It's not that the want to be scammed,it's that they don't want to be wrong,because if they are wrong then they are a fool,and they can't be a fool like everyone else who has been scammed because they are smarter and special.

I have seen this over and over on a professional basis across many years,basically the ego steps forward and a whole process of denial and justification takes over  and refuses to admit all evidence to the contrary,

• Like 2

Paul

What gets me is, and I can guarantee Larry will agree here, I don't understand why these guys will send, quite literally, thousands of dollars to girls, then get "that" feeling about them. Then, they inquire at Pointman Cebu regarding assistance. After getting a quote, they decide they do NOT want to pay a couple hundred bucks - or there about, to find out the truth. 

We had a few clients who spent over ten thousand dollars on girls,  and one who spent, almost $100,000 USD on one girl. 

Houston, we have an ID 10 T error. 

• Like 1

AlooGobi

I think basically in that instance they already have a fair idea they have been duped,so they talk to a guy on the phone who probably asks a few questions which confirms

his own suspicions that he has been duped ,he's been a fool.

Despite being done for thousands he doesn't want to pay a guy a few hundred to demonstrate in living colour and tell him  that he is indeed a fool.

The bigger the loss the greater the denial patterns emerge in my experience

shadow

Despite being done for thousands he doesn't want to pay a guy a few hundred to demonstrate in living colour and tell him  that he is indeed a fool.

So instead of cutting his losses and admit to himself he was an idiot, he continues to send thousands of dollars at a time to his gf, to save her life with yet another heart transplant. You will then find him on some forum years later complaining that all filipinas are liars and scammers. He has a new "good girl" now, and he KNOWS she is in the hospital with an uncurable disease because he heard the hospital noises in the background while talking to her on the phone!

• Like 1

Wolfpack

What gets me is, and I can guarantee Larry will agree here, I don't understand why these guys will send, quite literally, thousands of dollars to girls, then get "that" feeling about them. Then, they inquire at Pointman Cebu regarding assistance. After getting a quote, they decide they do NOT want to pay a couple hundred bucks - or there about, to find out the truth. 

We had a few clients who spent over ten thousand dollars on girls,  and one who spent, almost $100,000 USD on one girl. 

I have reservations when reading this thread...about speaking out...but here goes...

Contacting "Pointman Cebu"...is a worldly response...and will get you worldly results...

I suggest, dealing with the local church...if you feel you are being scammed by a girl...simply, ask what church she belongs to...and if she does something wrong...let the church handle it...

I personally was almost scammed for over a million pesos...by 3 different women...without getting into a great deal of my personal business on how this matter was resolved...it was resolved by the church...

All 3 women informed me they were christian women during the courting process...or I would have never invested money in their name...so I allowed the church to resolve the matter...and they did...

Invest in God...get Godly results...

• Like 2

Art

I was looking for this article in respect to this thread I saw an interview on TV regarding this it helped me to sell a push bike I bought for $500  but couldn't ride because of balance problems.  So I've kept it in my bedroom because I had no space for it and lugged it around with me for nearly 4 years because I couldn't let go of it because of the $500 I had invested.  I sold it for $200 the other day and now can walk around my bedroom.   The $500 had already gone when I bought it even though it was brand new I couldn't get it back so the Sunk Cost Trap got me.  Check out # 4

How The Sunk Cost Fallacy Makes You Act Stupid.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/how-the-sunk-cost-fallacy-makes-you-act-stupid.html

Do you think you make smart, rational decisions most of the time?

Chances are good that even if you pride yourself on being rational most of the time, you still occasionally fall for the sunk cost fallacy.

What is this fallacy?

In economics, a sunk cost is any past cost that has already been paid and cannot be recovered. For example, a business may have invested a million dollars into new hardware. This money is now gone and cannot be recovered, so it shouldn’t figure into the business’s decision making process.

Or, let’s say you buy tickets to a concert. On the day of the event, you catch a cold. Even though you are sick, you decide to go to the concert because otherwise “you would have wasted your money”.

Boom! You just fell for the sunk cost fallacy.

Sure, you spent the money already. But you can’t get it back. If you aren’t going to have a good time at the concert, you only make your life worse by going.

How Often Do You Fall Into The Sunk Cost Fallacy Trap?

Unfortunately, an awful lot.

If you take a moment, you can probably think of all sorts of situations where you make irrational decisions because of the sunk cost fallacy.

To help you see how common this is, here are a few examples.

1. “I might as well keep eating because I already bought the food.”

I do this one all the time. If I go to a restaurant and become full after eating most but not all of my food, I feel compelled to eat the rest so that it isn’t “wasted”.

But in reality, nobody else will eat that food after me. It’s not getting recycled or given to poor people. It’s just thrown out.

So if I feel uncomfortable, I shouldn’t eat the food. It’s a sunk cost, and I only lose by gorging myself further.

2. “I might as well keep watching this terrible movie because I’ve watched an hour of it already.”

Or reading a terrible book that you are 100 pages into, or continuing a T.V. series on Netflix that has gone downhill, etc.

It doesn’t matter that you’ve already invested time into whatever media you are consuming. If you don’t like the movie, you can walk out of it.

I once made the mistake of staying in the theater during Dinner For Schmucks despite quickly realizing how terrible it was. It never got better, and I wasted even more of my time by staying.

3. “I might as well keep going to a bad/useless class that I paid for.”

If you join a club or take a class to learn a new skill, you might feel compelled to continue even if you don’t enjoy it.

After all, you paid the $100 entry fee and you’ve gone to 3 of the 8 sessions, so you might as well finish, right?

Of course not. If you don’t feel you are getting anything out of it, bail. Write off the money and the time you spent, and save yourself from the other five classes. Don’t waste any more of your time.

4. “I might as well continue dating someone bad for me because I’ve already invested so much in them.”

This is unfortunately all too common.

If you put a lot of emotional investment into a relationship, it can be very challenging to break it off. This can be true of any relationship, not just romantic ones. Perhaps one of your good friends is no longer a positive influence on you. Years of emotional investment makes it very uncomfortable to cut your ties, but you might have to.

Well, How Do I Free Myself?

We fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy because we are emotionally invested in whatever money, time, or any other resource we have committed in the past. The most important step to freeing yourself from making poor decisions based on sunk costs is to recognize the logical fallacy. Simply being aware of it will help you tremendously in making more rational decisions in the future.

By reading this article, you’ve already taken that huge first step.

But when that isn’t enough, I suggest you write out a pros and cons list. If the only pro of continuing to do something is to feel better about the emotional investment you’ve made, clearly you should go in the other direction.

Despite how common this fallacy is, you can see through it fairly easily most of the time. Don’t let it make you act stupidly.

• Like 5

shadow

I have reservations when reading this thread...about speaking out...but here goes...

Contacting "Pointman Cebu"...is a worldly response...and will get you worldly results...

I suggest, dealing with the local church...if you feel you are being scammed by a girl...simply, ask what church she belongs to...and if she does something wrong...let the church handle it...

I personally was almost scammed for over a million pesos...by 3 different women...without getting into a great deal of my personal business on how this matter was resolved...it was resolved by the church...

All 3 women informed me they were christian women during the courting process...or I would have never invested money in their name...so I allowed the church to resolve the matter...and they did...

Invest in God...get Godly results...

Perhaps you are confused about exactly what it is that Pointman does and does not do. Pointman for the most part usually just finds out if the girl is telling  the truth to the client. Pointman does not in any way get involved with what happens to the girl afterwards, nor try to extract restitution or retribution on the girl (or boy, in some cases) or his/her family on behalf of the client.

Are you implying that the church is going to go to a hospital and inquire if a member has a heart condition? Are they going to go to a college and find out if the member in question has indeed finished a degree and/or is attending classes paid for by you, the client? Is the church going to go to a hardware store and inquire if the receipts provided for materials to build a house are legit? Are they going to go to the municipal hall and see if the land purchased even belonged to the "seller"? 

And, do you really think that most of the girls who are professional scammers really give a rat's arse WHAT the church thinks of them? Although most of them profess to be "good Christians", most will pick and choose which parts of their religion they wish to embrace and adhere to, and only go to church once a month or so to show their face for the sake of grandma (who has died three times).

Some of the biggest scams we have uncovered involved some very prominent members of a church, just who at the church are you going to ask to do this for you (I assume for free and out of the goodness of their Christian heart)?

Now that the girl has money to give to the church, THAT is all the church really cares about. Do you really think they are going to INVESTIGATE a member to see if he/she is honest? If so, they have been really lacking in investigating a very large number of their more politically connected members. You should tell them about this.

And are you telling me that the same church that has for centuries covered up allegations of sexual abuse by their own clergy, is going to help you find out if your girlfriend/boyfriend is lying to you? Are they going to tell you if she is really a he?

You must live on a different planet than I, possibly a "more godly" one, or one in a fantasy land. Yes, Pointman tries to give "worldly results", and often destroys fantasies.

• Like 4

Wolfpack

Perhaps you are confused about exactly what it is that Pointman does and does not do. Pointman for the most part usually just finds out if the girl is telling  the truth to the client. Pointman does not in any way get involved with what happens to the girl afterwards, nor try to extract restitution or retribution on the girl (or boy, in some cases) or his/her family on behalf of the client.

Are you implying that the church is going to go to a hospital and inquire if a member has a heart condition? Are they going to go to a college and find out if the member in question has indeed finished a degree and/or is attending classes paid for by you, the client? Is the church going to go to a hardware store and inquire if the receipts provided for materials to build a house are legit? Are they going to go to the municipal hall and see if the land purchased even belonged to the "seller"? 

And, do you really think that most of the girls who are professional scammers really give a rat's arse WHAT the church thinks of them? Although most of them profess to be "good Christians", most will pick and choose which parts of their religion they wish to embrace and adhere to, and only go to church once a month or so to show their face for the sake of grandma (who has died three times).

Some of the biggest scams we have uncovered involved some very prominent members of a church, just who at the church are you going to ask to do this for you (I assume for free and out of the goodness of their Christian heart)?

Now that the girl has money to give to the church, THAT is all the church really cares about. Do you really think they are going to INVESTIGATE a member to see if he/she is honest? If so, they have been really lacking in investigating a very large number of their more politically connected members. You should tell them about this.

And are you telling me that the same church that has for centuries covered up allegations of sexual abuse by their own clergy, is going to help you find out if your girlfriend/boyfriend is lying to you? Are they going to tell you if she is really a he?

You must live on a different planet than I, possibly a "more godly" one, or one in a fantasy land. Yes, Pointman tries to give "worldly results", and often destroys fantasies.

I don't want to turn this into a personal post...so I am going to be very careful with my words...

If a man is interested in christian women...he should be turning to christian actions...that would include involving a church...

If a man is interested in secular women...sure, Pointman sounds like a viable option...

If anyone wants to know the christian processes...they are more than welcome to contact me...tastykakes or snyder's of hanover pretzels are appreciated by not required for assistance...never would an actual fee be involved...never...

post-15535-0-46433700-1392209236_thumb.jpg

post-15535-0-50137000-1392209202_thumb.png

Paul

Although this is getting toward off topic, I will reply to it. Then, I expect this topic to get back on course.

You've been in the Philippines how long? How many women have you lived with who were active members of a church? (Both are rhetorical questions. Please do not reply to them.) They sure as hell wouldn't be living with you if they were serious about their faiths - Christians I am talking about here. A Priest has as much influence on a Filipina and her lifestyle as he does mine - which isn't much. Catholic girls that I have known, tend to live their lives as though they can do what they want 6 days per week, then go to church and be cured of it all, one day per week. 

Now ...

back2topic.jpg
Edited by Paul

Wolfpack

Although this is getting toward off topic, I will reply to it. Then, I expect this topic to get back on course.

You've been in the Philippines how long? How many women have you lived with who were active members of a church? (Both are rhetorical questions. Please do not reply to them.) They sure as hell wouldn't be living with you if they were serious about their faiths - Christians I am talking about here. A Priest has as much influence on a Filipina and her lifestyle as he does mine - which isn't much. Catholic girls that I have known, tend to live their lives as though they can do what they want 6 days per week, then go to church and be cured of it all, one day per week. 

Now ...

the topic subject, 

Why not report that she is a scammer?

my answer/advice stands...IF, you are dealing with a women that professes to be of Christian faith...

as for my resume on giving advice, (your comment...how long have I lived in the Philippines)...I have worked for the dependents and assistance team (DAT) while serving in the military...when someone wants to marry someone from the Philippines...the military conducts an investigation...(if you want to know more, you are welcome to PM me about it)

meanwhile, I have shared some brief information of my own personal experience with someone potentially scamming me...and it was my faith and a church that prevented me from being scammed...

it really all comes down to this...

if a christian women scams you...tell the church...

if a secular women scams you...tell the courts...

the most important thing...tell someone...

Paul

And if you go off topic once more, you will have a holiday. You will receive no further warnings.

And trust me. The last thing I want / need to know, is more about your personal life. You post more than enough of it for me here.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

Monsoon

These guys that send girls money should just send half of what the girl asks for to me. Then in a few months fly to the Philippines, let me kick them in the nuts and send them on their way. It would be a win-win situation. They get to keep half of their money yet get the same results. 

• Like 3

Ricky

I would love to understand what drives someone to truly believe that sending money over the internet to someone they don't know (other then a registered charity) is a good decision.

With so many warnings and advice available online, yet people continue to be duped. A relationship based on charity is never going to be a good start. There are so many wonderful and beautiful hard working single ladies in the Philippines or working overseas (OFW) who would jump at the chance of meeting a romantic and dedicated foreigner (and perhaps some looking for a grumpy role git who wants a wife to fetch the beers).

I am surprised their isn't a high quality paid for dating website where women register in person at an office in the Philippines and are vetted, in addition to the foreigner also being vetted (or maybe this already exists) as I am sure their would be demand for it.

shadow

I am surprised their isn't a high quality paid for dating website where women register in person at an office in the Philippines and are vetted, in addition to the foreigner also being vetted (or maybe this already exists) as I am sure their would be demand for it.

The problem with that idea is it is against the law. Falls under "human trafficking", a law you DO NOT want to be prosecuted for in this country, worse than murder...

• Like 2