• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• storybrook

• Humboldt

• lamoe

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was raised in a very sparsely populated area, in the middle of an indian reservation, a logging community, and a fishing community, eight miles from pavement in the coastal mountain range of Oregon.

How safe do I feel in the Philippines?    Well, since I do not engage in one of the leading causes of death for foreigners here I am pretty safe overall. What are the leading causes of death here? 

Saying that the Philippines is safer than the US would be so naive.

thebob

But you see my point I think.  Depends on what scares you.  I just read a post where a guy is scared to say anything bad about someone in power in this country for fear he’s have problems….well for him that is a real fear….me….not so much as you might have noticed.    Maybe you want to believe that because I’m not afraid of the same things that you are that I’m one of those guys who can kill instantly with my bare hands and that is what make me so bold –  

Safety here also involves an exit plan. Some people would be afraid of loosing their SS handouts, or being investigated for running unlicensed charities, or not having the appropriate visa status.

People who don’t do drugs, don’t hang out in bars and get drunk and get into fights with locals, who have nothing to do with the government or running for political office who are NOT at all Involved in politics supporting one Filipino over another etc…people like that don’t get killed because they are nice good honest people who just say what everyone else who is a Filipino knows is the truth. 

Trying to set up a business masquerading as a charity and soliciting for donations on the internet can be a very dangerous undertaking here.

• Like 1
Humboldt

Hell I’m not even x military – don’t know if you are or not but I would never live here if I had the fear hat you guys have who express this kind of fear.

your American age 62 . I see you dodged a  bullet , we could of used a Rambo type like you in Nam ,,

• Like 1
gentlerben

Hmmm, well I am never surprised, and always amazed at how we are different yet alike in handling living in the Islands.

With me it has nothing to do with being scared its all survival. Hell, I fear being alone more than anything. Don't know why.

I have been shot once and stabbed twice in the states. For that reason my brain says to me" hey it was after 12p.m. So I

never in 20 years been out alone after midnight. That includes Davao which I feel very safe in. Very much so, but I have been

trained and been to three different survival type schools and there are warnings.

My asawa  and I were walking to G-Mall from Torres street here in Davao and as I had trained my wife we walk, stop, turn and

continue to move forward. She nudged me but I had noticed the middle aged man, and by the third time we just stopped smiled

at him and he looked embarrassed but waved at us and I bowed motioned for him to go ahead. Now was he planning anything,

who knows. That is how I am. All the time. The biggest problem in the beginning was getting my wife to do what I told her to do

without asking why.

One day on the Jeepney in Cebu a group of three males got on. One sat behind the driver, one at the back, and the other in the 

middle across from me. They started singing and not to badly. I asked my wife what they said after the singing and she looked

tense and said they said "pay now or pay later" I broke out laughing pulled out 20 pesos. They all thanked me and got off

immediately. One of the group of 6 interns in whites said you should not give those types anything. For safety, a good belly

laugh, I politely disagreed. Were they serious, don't know. It was a good 20 pesos not to fine out.

Now where I live for almost two years is a tight family community. No one bothered me or really spoke. My wife in school

daily, I was lonely (what can I say) hehe. So one day I bought out my sticks, staff, knives and swords and started practicing.

I have studied Arnis for 18 years along with 9 other styles of boxing as we call it. This was before  I put up a fence(chain link),

I am 65 but I love the sport. Of course a crowd developed to watch. I spent a hard 50 or so minutes. As I was going back to

the house the neighbors applauded. I have since been asked to train, and or practice with the neighborhood militia.

And since I am an instructor, its never about the winning or losing face. It never, never goes that far. Are they my friends, not

really. But they have found a place where I fit since I love their martial arts. My father-in-law wants me to start a school with

him once we move to Bislig next year. He is a licensed Black belt and it will be informal. Plus that will be where my bigggg

family lives and even safer for me. And less lonely. Miles. P.S. As a process server in Arizona before I moved here, I

learned quickly not to post my pictures. Also when a process was given to me, even the attorneys searched facebook or the

like before anything else. I have caught half my serves like that. My survival instincts kick in whenever I even think about a

photo. Do I have girl parts, hehe. I don't think so. Will double check. Peace and Harmony.

• Like 3

If you belong it's easy to get along, if not, then you'd better be gone.

Was in the very small town of Nürtingen Germany, talking a walk at about 2 AM , group of teens on a corner, I crossed street as soon as I saw them, old habits die hard, one called out and asked for a cigarette, I replied "Spreken ze English?" (I speak very little German) and they got very mad. 

My first though was "aww shit". Asked very politely " why are you so pissed at me?" They then said "Amerikanisch - you're American?" Attitude changed immediately. They came across street and offered my a beer.

Turns out they were pissed at the English because of the mob action at the soccer games that year. They apologized and explained that my accent was more British than American. 

So, if I were British I wouldn't have belonged but as an American I did.

your American age 62 . I see you dodged a  bullet , we could of used a Rambo type like you in Nam ,,

I'm only 5 -9, we liked to hid behind the big guys :cool:

• Like 1
HeyMike

I knew a man from San Fernando who was going to be robbed by 2 men one night. He faked a heart attack and the guys ran away. Maybe they thought they would be charged with murder if they got caught.

• Like 1

Hmmm, well I am never surprised, and always amazed at how we are different yet alike in handling living in the Islands.

With me it has nothing to do with being scared its all survival. Hell, I fear being alone more than anything. Don't know why.

I have been shot once and stabbed twice in the states. For that reason my brain says to me" hey it was after 12p.m. So I

never in 20 years been out alone after midnight. That includes Davao which I feel very safe in. Very much so, but I have been

trained and been to three different survival type schools and there are warnings.

My asawa  and I were walking to G-Mall from Torres street here in Davao and as I had trained my wife we walk, stop, turn and

continue to move forward. She nudged me but I had noticed the middle aged man, and by the third time we just stopped smiled

at him and he looked embarrassed but waved at us and I bowed motioned for him to go ahead. Now was he planning anything,

who knows. That is how I am. All the time. The biggest problem in the beginning was getting my wife to do what I told her to do

without asking why.

One day on the Jeepney in Cebu a group of three males got on. One sat behind the driver, one at the back, and the other in the 

middle across from me. They started singing and not to badly. I asked my wife what they said after the singing and she looked

tense and said they said "pay now or pay later" I broke out laughing pulled out 20 pesos. They all thanked me and got off

immediately. One of the group of 6 interns in whites said you should not give those types anything. For safety, a good belly

laugh, I politely disagreed. Were they serious, don't know. It was a good 20 pesos not to fine out.

Now where I live for almost two years is a tight family community. No one bothered me or really spoke. My wife in school

daily, I was lonely (what can I say) hehe. So one day I bought out my sticks, staff, knives and swords and started practicing.

I have studied Arnis for 18 years along with 9 other styles of boxing as we call it. This was before  I put up a fence(chain link),

I am 65 but I love the sport. Of course a crowd developed to watch. I spent a hard 50 or so minutes. As I was going back to

the house the neighbors applauded. I have since been asked to train, and or practice with the neighborhood militia.

And since I am an instructor, its never about the winning or losing face. It never, never goes that far. Are they my friends, not

really. But they have found a place where I fit since I love their martial arts. My father-in-law wants me to start a school with

him once we move to Bislig next year. He is a licensed Black belt and it will be informal. Plus that will be where my bigggg

family lives and even safer for me. And less lonely. Miles. P.S. As a process server in Arizona before I moved here, I

learned quickly not to post my pictures. Also when a process was given to me, even the attorneys searched facebook or the

like before anything else. I have caught half my serves like that. My survival instincts kick in whenever I even think about a

photo. Do I have girl parts, hehe. I don't think so. Will double check. Peace and Harmony.

Bislig(Mangagoy)lived there for 3 years.Was there last week.

Edited by Baywak
storybrook

Safety here also involves an exit plan. Some people would be afraid of loosing their SS handouts, or being investigated for running unlicensed charities, or not having the appropriate visa status.

Trying to set up a business masquerading as a charity and soliciting for donations on the internet can be a very dangerous undertaking here.

Well if you want to worry about such things, enjoy yourself.  I don’t live in fear of such things; as far as me running an unlicensed Charity?  Again what planet are you on. Anyone can put up a website asking anyone in the world to donate to whatever “Cause” they see fit to endorse.  Many people do and many of those Charity websites are total scams and don’t do anything but use the money that does come in from them for their own self-aggrandizement. 

Now if you keep this up you are going to have Paul all over my ass so let’s just leave me out of it, and stick to the topic which is Safety in the Philippines and how safe do you feel.  I don’t need you to worry about me thank you. 

jtmwatchbiz

stick to the topic which is Safety in the Philippines and how safe do you feel.

i feel Safety in the Philippines is important.

For Real

Interesting thread, some common sense and then some....

The only time I have been scared in the Philippines is when having a gun pointed in my face. Yeah I know, silly me trying to collect debts for my labour so I could feed my family. If you have stuff that others want and they can take by force then measures for safety should be taken. I want to protect my child so she is never unsupervised by an adult. Persons unknown are not permitted to enter our house whether I am in town or not. I don't see this as or other safety measures I am not going to share as living in fear...I call it risk management. I am not an advocate of the fools paradise syndrome but I recommend being alert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prudent caution is simply fear with some intelligence backing it up.

• Like 1
smokey

i feel Safety in the Philippines is important.

does that mean you use a condom

• Like 1
riklynbor

On my second trip my wife and I were in a Jeepny in Pasay and I had brought her a gold necklace.

We had a 45 revolver pointed at our heads while he ripped the chain from her neck.

Scared the crap out of the other passengers who all run away without calling for help.

We found her sister down the street under a table hiding Lol.

Now we dont show our valuables and Lyn takes of her jewelry.

Where there is poverty there are desperate people. You just need to use common sense.

I have no problem with it and still travel around. Just be aware there are desperate people out there.

We are building in Maasin City, Southern Leyte and over the years have grown to love it there.

Also most people know me or of me and am now related to a large part of the population.

Everywhere we go I meet family. So I feel quite safe there but I am not stupid enough to let my guard down.

I also get along with all the locals even though I don't join them drinking I will buy them a few.

I feel quite safe here in Maasin City but am aware being a foreigner there is a chance somebody may think of doing me wrong.

But is that not possible everywhere?

• Like 4

it is not the locals I am worried about

but the bloody mozzies and stray dogs

I had dengue and my GF has been bitten by a stray dog

• Like 5