How safe do you feel living in the Philippines

storybrook

Humboldt

I think having a good relationships with your neighbors is very important , and one of the best ways to be safe . 

I don't want to brag but my neighbors  here like me and the family, why cuz I'm a nice guy , treat them good , do they take advantage of me ?

yes sometimes , I'm the guy buying the Rum / tuba etc on occasions , or throwing the party  with the baboy

cheap insurance , also I think half the town here is related to wife ,,  

last week looking at some property just off the national hwy I notice a house full on metal fence 8 ff high w/lots of razor wire on top around the house

big lighting all around the house , ask the wife who lives' there ?

her answer some foreigner he doesn't get along w/the neighbors they hate him , why ? cuz he's always commanding them to be quite , 

so the province counselors living across the street shoot guns at this house ,,so he's not coming out of the house much anymore very old and the wife has no control him ok IC

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• storybrook

• Humboldt

• lamoe

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was raised in a very sparsely populated area, in the middle of an indian reservation, a logging community, and a fishing community, eight miles from pavement in the coastal mountain range of Oregon.

How safe do I feel in the Philippines?    Well, since I do not engage in one of the leading causes of death for foreigners here I am pretty safe overall. What are the leading causes of death here? 

Saying that the Philippines is safer than the US would be so naive.

storybrook

Either way, those guys will all tell you they don't stand a chance vs. 5 or 6 decently placed .45 rounds put into their body while they are out for a quiet stroll to the market. 

Again I had to laugh at the things people are concerning themselves with.  When is the last time you heard of someone getting shot while out for a stroll in the Philippines, except maybe in Mindanao.

As with 99% of most violent crime – (that’s my number pulled out of the air from a lifetime of living 64 years)  most crime where someone is shot, killed, hurt seriously, when they are out for a Stroll that happens HERE in the Philippines is related to one of the following: Drugs – Family Violence – ( I loved the post that said you were more likely to be killed by your wife….so much truth to that one) and back to what I was saying Drugs, Family Violence, Running for a Political office, or some other form of Governmental internal problems like when Mendoza took over the bus and just killed innocent people for fun and lastly conflict between Rival faction in this county who hate the Government in general.

Now since I don’t run for office, and I don’t work for the Government, and I don’t even smoke or drink and hang out in such places, (not that there is anything wrong with that…as Jerry Seinfeld would say)  I’m just saying, show me a link where someone was EVER killed in this country who was a Foreigner out taking a stroll at 2 in the morning going to the ATM – (Should I worry now that the “Evil” that exist on this forum is now going to lee in wait for me on my way to the ATM next time I go…I swear there are some Paranoid people posting here)  Show me the link or even tell me a personal story you know about where that has happened and it’s not related to one of the things I have mentioned and …. What is the saying…. Eat my hat!

Fear is no way to live ones life.  Living in fear is just a waste of the precious gift of life.

And I know what you are going to say about this but come on, yes they murdered Jesus for speaking out but I’m not saying anything about the country I love, the Philippines, that anyone here doesn’t already know and admit if you ask them to their faces.

The Governor in Antique is no worse that what? 95% of all the people in ANY political office in this country.  Again my number.  But come on, the world is full of corruption – always has been – Look around and smell the blood flowing in the streets today.  Just because there isn’t blood flowing in the streets in the USA other than all those murders taking place, and the rapes and the muggings and all the other evils that are present there from Car Jackings to theft and robbery in general….as Hillary said, “What difference does it make”

I can’t do anything about all that and no on this forum can either so why even think much about it.

So for me as I have already expressed now in several posts and comments, you try and live as good of a life as you can and you let God worry about the rest.  You don’t go looking for trouble but you sure as hell don’t live in fear.  Just live, and say what is true when it needs to be said.  If someone kills you for it….Again Hillary!  Why are you so afraid to die to start with?  I’m sure not afraid of death.  Hell the way I feel sometimes when I wake up and try to move I think someone would be doing me a favor to put me down like a horse with a broken leg. (Don’t you think that’s terrible that they will kill a horse just because he has a broken leg…I never did understand that)

Anyhow – what was this post about….oh….getting shot while taking a stroll…..? SHOW ME THE LINK!

• Like 1

I have never lived permanently as yet in the Philippines - most of the time it is just a month or two a year on holiday but I have never had any problems with anyone while I was down. Partly maybe as most of the people living around my in-law's place in Mandaue are family but then I was down a few times when there was a frat war going on between the Akhro/Tau Gamma guys - I just made sure that I didn't antagonize anyone and stayed off the road at night.

There was one time that a drunk tough guy came down the street looking for trouble but within a minute there were about 20 of the young guys around me ready to protect my sorry self (I was drunk on Tanduay too!). But that was the one and only time....

• Like 1
rainymike

More of less safe living in the Philippines?

I learned a while back that staying safe doesn't have very much to do with what country you're in (except maybe in a war zone). It's more about where you hang out in any country, who you hang out with, and how you behave with the locals.

I actually feel safer living in Davao (Mindanao) than I did in Cebu. I don't feel more or less safe living here than I did in the USA. 

• Like 2
RogerDuMond

I walk a couple miles every day through the little communities here. I greet and/or am greeted by everyone I come in contact with from the little kids to the oldest residents. I occasionally see another foreigner, but they are not out among the people. They are either going by in their car or peeking out their door. My young dog walks with me all the time and I assume she is an imposing sight to the average Filipino. She is a one year old 45 kilo bullmastiff and she never barks just stares if she is alert. So between my reception from the residents and my walking companion I feel much safer here than in the US.

Now going into Cebu City is a different story. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable there, but no more than going into any large city anywhere. I just don't like crowded cities. I don't go to bars.

• Like 4
storybrook

I learned a while back that staying safe doesn't have very much to do with what country you're in (except maybe in a war zone). It's more about where you hang out in any country, who you hang out with, and how you behave with the locals.

Well said, I wish I could say things short and to the point like that!

When I was living in Banilad, Cebu City, there were quite a few unsavory characters in my neighborhood. I lived behind the UC building which is across the street from Country Mall. Someone shot my neighbors dog one night, a woman across the street was murdered and there was always drug and gang related activities going on. Someone tried to break into my house on two occasions, while I was sleeping. Needless to say I didn't feel safe at night in that area. I also lived in Liloan, which was quiet and safe all the time.

Now here in rural Leyte I feel pretty safe, although a few years ago I rushed a guy to the hospital in Ormoc after he was stabbed in the eye. His friend who was with him lay dead in my front yard, didnt make it alive to my place. We had the only car in the area so we were the designated ambulance. The guy we took to the hospital later died from his wounds. That was maybe 4 or 5 years ago and most of the bad element has left the area since. Still, the most pleasant friendly people can turn ugly when they get stinking drunk, as many do here in the province. How any times have you read about guys who have killed their best friend or relative after getting into an argument over something stupid while drinking? It happens much too frequently. I don't drink as much now as I used to, but I always made it a point never to get drunk with Filipinos. I don't mean having a couple of beers, but rather drinking to the point of serious intoxication. You never know how that will turn out and it often turns out badly.

• Like 3
Humboldt

Anyhow – what was this post about….oh….getting shot while taking a stroll…..? SHOW ME THE LINK!

Your Life here is worth about 10- 20,000 peso's ,,, you can be strolling , setting at resort , driving whatever . if you piss-off the wrong person  your dead

that's one reason I don't post my picture here on open form you never know . every little action gets a reaction . 

I'm not going to do the research for you ,, but read the paper's many foreigners have been shot here ..

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

When is the last time you heard of someone getting shot while out for a stroll in the Philippines, except maybe in Mindanao.

I thought maybe you were joking until you asked twice. 

Here are just a few foreigners whose names I could remember off the top of my  head, the eerie thing is of them I knew one personally and had met another one in a casual encounter by being at the same function together! 

Police probes death of foreigner - Sun Star Daily

Aggenstein shot dead; suspects still unknown - Boholchronicle.com.ph

Cops hunt killer of American diver | Inquirer News

German hotel exec shot dead in Makati - INQUIRER.net, Philippine …

Those are just a few foreigners. If you want to include Filipinos you could write a book with the list of those! 

• Like 1
quit_yume

i have stumbled into some areas a couple times late at night in the manila area where i probably shouldnt have been and was approached by some gents that i was pretty sure intended to do harm.  i knew i could probably hurt 1 or 2 of them but i would lose the war with the rest so i elected to say something funny with a smile and that seemed to smooth things over long enough for me to make it back to the more traveled path.   so for me being from the ghettos in Baltimore it felt about the same as that.. lol

RogerDuMond

Your Life here is worth about 10- 20,000 peso's ,,, you can be strolling , setting at resort , driving whatever . if you piss-off the wrong person your dead

So I guess the best course of action would be to make sure you don't piss someone off.

storybrook

read the paper's many foreigners have been shot here ..

Well I don't need to waste my time trying to do research for you just to prove to you that what I have already said is true.  Hey if you piss someone off in Southern California you can get shot too.  So again I don't see your point at all.  The subject of this post was about your safety.  Hell if you go looking for trouble you are going to find it.  If you fear putting your real picture on here, don't.  I don't live in that kind of fear.  I'm not afraid of dying.  I'm not suicidal - I do have some plans for the next 10 years or so, but I'm willing to see what comes next and I won't meet that end in Fear! 

Like everywhere else in the world piss someone off and you might get killed.  There is no profit in killing me, and if someone wants me dead and is willing to pay someone else, I’m sure they can find someone for 5k pesos to do the job.  So am I going to walk around on eggshells as I live my life.  Hell no!  That isn’t my idea of living. 

This paranoia that exist on this site of being afraid to speak the truth, or post your picture makes you all look to me like a bunch of pussies.  Hell I’m not even x military – don’t know if you are or not but I would never live here if I had the fear hat you guys have who express this kind of fear.

Do you know anyone who posted on this site and was tracked down and Killed for what he said?  If so I would love to hear the story.

People who don’t do drugs, don’t hang out in bars and get drunk and get into fights with locals, who have nothing to do with the government or running for political office who are NOT at all Involved in politics supporting one Filipino over another etc…people like that don’t get killed because they are nice good honest people who just say what everyone else who is a Filipino knows is the truth. 

I’m not a reporter trying to expose corruption in the Philippines.  Corruption in the Philippines is a commonly known fact as it is no different here than anywhere else in the world where corruption is going on in the government or the banking industry etc.  

I feel extremely safe in this wonderful country. If I didn't I would be somewhere else.

• Like 2
storybrook

i have stumbled into some areas a couple times late at night in the manila area where i probably shouldnt have been and was approached by some gents that i was pretty sure intended to do harm.  i knew i could probably hurt 1 or 2 of them but i would lose the war with the rest so i elected to say something funny with a smile and that seemed to smooth things over long enough for me to make it back to the more traveled path.   so for me being from the ghettos in Baltimore it felt about the same as that.. lol

Now there is a smart man and an honest post I said to myself when I read this.  And you are so right.  You look a suspicious guy or group of guys in the eye as they approach you AS I ALWAYS DO, and say something Friendly like, "Good evening boys out to find some girls are you?"  And that's all it take to humanize you from a target of crime to a friend they just met.  I always get a pleasant response from them.  Sometimes if I have said it soon enough on the approach I get a high five from the guy closest to me!  You nailed it!