How safe do you feel living in the Philippines

storybrook

contraman

I feel very safe in metro Cebu ....I couldn't say the same about the rest of the country but you have to be pretty dumb to get in trouble here.

This about sums up my thoughts also

Although when venturing to a known unsafe area, my small tazer is of some comfort

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• storybrook

• Humboldt

• lamoe

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was raised in a very sparsely populated area, in the middle of an indian reservation, a logging community, and a fishing community, eight miles from pavement in the coastal mountain range of Oregon.

How safe do I feel in the Philippines?    Well, since I do not engage in one of the leading causes of death for foreigners here I am pretty safe overall. What are the leading causes of death here? 

Saying that the Philippines is safer than the US would be so naive.

Irenicus

I feel safer that any place I lived in the US, which was generally small towns and communities I Oregon and Wyoming. Always in the US I had problems with theft, etc., here, no problem at all, or VERY little.

Yeah, but I've seen your compound.  Someone would need full plate armor, six gallons of bear spray, a 20 MM chain gun, and a belly full of Tanduay to even think of storming that place.

• Like 1
Humboldt

I would have to say for sure Nor-Cal , as I was telling my wife we can pin a 100 dollar bill on the front door

and come back 3 months later and it still be there ,,,

as we have no neighbor's in sight  ,, pvt road locked gate... but she scared to death of bear's and mountain lions ,,

also here we are remote,, few neighbor's on the east side facing ocean  9 dogs grills on widows lots of locks ..

we have had a few bad guys roaming around at night , they are not local  to the area ... I'm a light sleeper

and carry a big stick

shadow

Yeah, but I've seen your compound.  Someone would need full plate armor, six gallons of bear spray, a 20 MM chain gun, and a belly full of Tanduay to even think of storming that place.

Yeah, the only bamboo fence on the entire street!

• Like 2

you are more likely to get killed by your spouse

Not sure that is a positive point however.  :huh:

cebubird

Feel reasonably safe during day, but refuse to ga anywhere after dark. No way do I come close to feeling as safe as back home.

Canuck Joe

have to be pretty dumb to get in trouble here.

Exactly, like hurting someones ego or bad mouthing someone in power whether true or not...otherwise its a walk in the park ;)

There is no comparison as to possible unsafe situations here and in the USA.

Sure there is -  near west side of Rockford around State St  - inner city of Chicago (my old stomping (literly) grounds) - 7 Mile road detroit

smokey

Sure there is -  near west side of Rockford around State St  - inner city of Chicago (my old stomping (literly) grounds) - 7 Mile road detroit

Yep brooklyn new york Compton California we never let you feel safe

storybrook

There is no comparison as to possible unsafe situations here and in the USA.

Well let's be fair.  Of course there are leave your door unlocked and windows open at night places you can live in all countries I think....I haven't been to all countries...but you know what I mean. 

There are foreigners who live in Mindanao for example who have lived down there for YEARS and they feel perfectly safe…how do I know…because I have talked to them and asked them that question directly.

Me – you couldn’t get me to go to Mindanao for a visit to any location on the island if you were Jesus and appeared unto me and promised me that I’d be safe …. Ok maybe that is a little exaggerated – but I’m not going to Mindanao – not for all the Tea in China.  Why?  Because the way I define safety that island doesn’t qualify!

So like a lot of things posted here it comes down to how you personally see the world and how you define different things like safety or a marriage that works etc.

Some people are total worry warts when there is nothing to be concerned about others are more adventurous, perhaps are more self reliant and have skills that they feel make them safe and can handle just about any situation that comes up.  I would think that the x military guys who have been taught to kill with their bare hands and have done it as part of their service to their country – I would guess those guys are like the guy who says he is on the top of the hill now and no one ***k’s with him.  I like that guy lol…

But you see my point I think.  Depends on what scares you.  I just read a post where a guy is scared to say anything bad about someone in power in this country for fear he’s have problems….well for him that is a real fear….me….not so much as you might have noticed. 

Maybe you want to believe that because I’m not afraid of the same things that you are that I’m one of those guys who can kill instantly with my bare hands and that is what make me so bold – I hope the Governor here in Antique believes that lol  or maybe you choose to believe I’m just some dump **it with a low IQ who don’t know any better.

People are different and one guy can get away with one thing and have no problems in this country while another personality who does something similar or the exact same thing maybe gets a world of hurt from his statement or actions; Kind of like speeding in the USA.  If there is a cop around and has his gun on you. You are going to get a ticket.  If not, maybe you can get away with it..  As Clint would say….. “Well punk – do you feel lucky?”

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I am not afraid of the Philippines per se. I do have concerns about some of what the Philippines attracts. That and breathing in all of the smog up here where I unfortunately live at the moment. 

I’m not afraid of the same things that you are that I’m one of those guys who can kill instantly with my bare hands and that is what make me so bold

I know some people who really can and have done this (in the current decade). Funny enough, none of those people ever talk about it. So I am very skeptical of people who sit in a bar, on a forum, or at a Starbucks and provide superfluous information about themselves in a casual setting. Either way, those guys will all tell you they don't stand a chance vs. 5 or 6 decently placed .45 rounds put into their body while they are out for a quiet stroll to the market. 

• Like 5
Humboldt

I am not afraid of the Philippines per se. I do have concerns about some of what the Philippines attracts. That and breathing in all of the smog up here where I unfortunately live at the moment. 

I know some people who really can and have done this (in the current decade). Funny enough, none of those people ever talk about it. So I am very skeptical of people who sit in a bar, on a forum, or at a Starbucks and provide superfluous information about themselves in a casual setting. Either way, those guys will all tell you they don't stand a chance vs. 5 or 6 decently placed .45 rounds put into their body while they are out for a quiet stroll to the market. 

That's So True if you have earned a black belt after years of training  ,,, why Tell ? ,,its like playing poker telling the other player's you holding Ace's

Headed that way

I think that we all have B.S. detectors that go off once we see talk like this.  The bad thing is that the one talking smack rarely realizes how they come across.  You know that they will never accept criticism because they are too clueless to realize that you are talking about them .   The biggest give away on these kind of Jerks though is bragging about helping others.  Like the guys with the military training and experience in offing bad guys, the ones that actually help others don't have time to brag about doing good deeds.

I'd say that staying safe in the Philippines for thirteen or fourteen years might be more about the locals having pity on the clueless.  Someone runs their mouth or does something offensive and the locals might write it off because the guy is kano.

• Like 1

With the exception of mid - western Mindanau I have travele all over the Visayas, negros, leyte, samar, eastern mindanau.   Lived in Cebu City 10 yrs.   Never felt I had a problem.   Like any where, there are some areas a person should not go due to extreme poverty/local crime.   Never wear jewelry, flash money annd use your (hopefully you have it) common sense.

• Like 3