How safe do you feel living in the Philippines

storybrook

storybrook

We have all heard of scams from money changers to Taxi drivers to the extreme things like what goes on in Mindanao on a fairly regular basic with either a bomb going off or someone being kidnapped or even killed.  So I’m just wondering compared to where you use to live before you moved here, how safe do you feel; More of less safe living in the Philippines?  How often do you even think about your safety?  Do any of you change up your daily routines or carry a weapon or do anything to increase your safety living here?  Let’s here how “Afraid” everyone is about living in the Philippines.  I myself consider living here 100 times safer than living in Southern California.  How much do you worry about your personal safety?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• storybrook

• Humboldt

• lamoe

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was raised in a very sparsely populated area, in the middle of an indian reservation, a logging community, and a fishing community, eight miles from pavement in the coastal mountain range of Oregon.

How safe do I feel in the Philippines?    Well, since I do not engage in one of the leading causes of death for foreigners here I am pretty safe overall. What are the leading causes of death here? 

Saying that the Philippines is safer than the US would be so naive.

shadow

We have all heard of scams from money changers to Taxi drivers to the extreme things like what goes on in Mindanao on a fairly regular basic with either a bomb going off or someone being kidnapped or even killed.  So I’m just wondering compared to where you use to live before you moved here, how safe do you feel; More of less safe living in the Philippines?  How often do you even think about your safety?  Do any of you change up your daily routines or carry a weapon or do anything to increase your safety living here?  Let’s here how “Afraid” everyone is about living in the Philippines.  I myself consider living here 100 times safer than living in Southern California.  How much do you worry about your personal safety?

I feel safer that any place I lived in the US, which was generally small towns and communities I Oregon and Wyoming. Always in the US I had problems with theft, etc., here, no problem at all, or VERY little.

• Like 4
smokey

Dam you guys must of lived in some really bad welfare areas where I live in the us I can carry a gun if I feel un safe here I just dont roam at night

if I feel un safe here I just dont roam at night

I refuse to live anywhere I feel unsafe, where I cannot go out at night. I grew up and lived in Savannah, Georgia for part of my life. During that time, there were areas of the city where I would NOT go without a firearm on my person. I have had the feeling of beating the pure shit out of some I have encountered at night, though. Like my little incident in Cebu City, when my former wife and i were living there.

tobster

I am no expert on the RP or claim to be but I feel expats have it pretty good here. It seems you are more likely to get killed by your spouse or driving down the road or crossing the wrong person than just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Like 4
musicman666

I feel very safe in metro Cebu ....I couldn't say the same about the rest of the country but you have to be pretty dumb to get in trouble here.

• Like 5
smokey

I refuse to live anywhere I feel unsafe, where I cannot go out at night. I grew up and lived in Savannah, Georgia for part of my life. During that time, there were areas of the city where I would NOT go without a firearm on my person. I have had the feeling of beating the pure shit out of some I have encountered at night, though. Like my little incident in Cebu City, when my former wife and i were living there.

But if I carry a gun I have to be headed to the range with my wife

there are places here where i feel quite safe any time of the day.  there are other places where i don't feel safe any time of day.  same as in the u.s.  same as when i lived in detroit--good and bad areas.  most places i've lived in the u.s. i have felt completely safe.  not so much here, so overall i would say i feel much safer in the u.s.  and in the u.s., if i had to spend time in unsafe areas, i had the luxury of being able to carrying a firearm for protection.

shadow

Dam you guys must of lived in some really bad welfare areas where I live in the us I can carry a gun if I feel un safe here I just dont roam at night

I was raised in a very sparsely populated area, in the middle of an indian reservation, a logging community, and a fishing community, eight miles from pavement in the coastal mountain range of Oregon. I fit into NONE of the above categories. I learned to run, I learned to keep my mouth shut, and I learned to fight. Later I moved to small town Wyoming, where prejudice reigned supreme. Still, I didn't fit in. I was "the Hippy" in a "cowboy redneck" community, who moonlighted at the local attorneys office, and bounced at several local bars.

Here, I am considered "the King of the hill", and nobody F***s with me!

Edited by shadow
  • Like 9

But if I carry a gun I have to be headed to the range with my wife

Guns are illegal for the general public here to have. However, my fiancee, somehow, I am not sure, through a government organization she is involved in, can own a gun legally. She will be buying one, for sure, since she can. 

I had a former g/f in the Philippines, whom I purchased a hand gun for. Trust me, if anyone had broken in the house, SHE would have shot them dead - to protect me, of course. 

storybrook
I was raised in a very sparsely populated area, in the middle of an indian reservation, a logging community, and a fishing community, eight miles from pavement in the coastal mountain range of Oregon. I fit into NONE of the above categories. I learned to run, I learned to keep my mouth shut, and I learned to fight. Later I moved to small town Wyoming, where prejudice reigned supreme. Still, I didn't fit in. I was "the Hippy" in a "cowboy redneck" community, who moonlighted at the local attorneys office, and bounced at several local bars.   Here, I am considered "the King of the hill", and nobody F***s with me.0

This post made me laugh out loud.  I like straight talk like this.  Sorry to hear that you time as a child could have been better but like you say, now you are king of the hill so enjoy it!  Nothing like being on top!  

Edited by storybrook
  • Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

Well if you exclude a few hired shooters recently, than I would have to say very safe for the most part... :biggrin_01:  

• Like 4
NOSOCALPINOY

Safe enough, even with "Murphy's Law" hanging in the balance! Just walking out the door at any given day or night, one can be run down and killed by a jeepney, tricycle, crazed water buffalo or by a fat lady jogging around in one's neighborhood!  :idontknow:

• Like 2