Sign in to follow this  
quit_yume

Can a Filipina Travel Through Canada to the USA on a Fiancee Visa

quit_yume

Maybe its a stupid question.   But i notice that from Manila to Richmond is cheaper and faster if I buy her a ticket to Toronto and then another one from Toronto to Richmond, VA.   

Would she have difficulties passing through Toronto on a fiancee visa?

redman69

Mine passed thru Dubai to get here. And another I know of went thru Inchon. As long as they do not leave the international area I can not see why it would matter.

on another note: I live in Alexandria, My fiancé got here in November from Carcar south Cebu. I will pm you with out contact info.

• Like 2

Majorsco

Generally speaking as long as they remain in the transit area, not clearing customs in that country then no issue.

Problem comes if they have to clear customs to Change terminals. Then the policy that was provided in the earlier link would come into play. Not all Canadian flights are considered international flights. uS immigration have special set ups with certain airports, some are in canada, where the US immigration handles the flight in Canada as if it were a domestic US flight . Same goes for a few European airports, but not many.

tim

If she can show tickets leaving Canada going to USA without much a delay then I am  guessing she will be allowed...But why take a chance and have her sent back to the PI for the $. Plus,  the trip is going to be hard on her as it is (especially if she is by herself and have not travel long distances before) I would keep the itinerary as simple and short as possible. Picking a Port of Entry for her coming in the USA is also important. Some places have a history of being harder on the visa travelers than others. I used Detroit coming from Cebu for my wife. I tried to avoid anything on the West coast or Chicago as Port of Entries since they were known to be harder to get thru immigration (at least back in early 2000s.) 

Believe me U are going to be paying out the ass for her to stay in the USA for the next 11 years, so u might  start pulling out the wallet now.... and get use to the shock.

Congrats and good luck...

as always

jmho

• Like 1

quit_yume

If she can show tickets leaving Canada going to USA without much a delay then I am  guessing she will be allowed...But why take a chance and have her sent back to the PI for the $. Plus,  the trip is going to be hard on her as it is (especially if she is by herself and have not travel long distances before) I would keep the itinerary as simple and short as possible. Picking a Port of Entry for her coming in the USA is also important. Some places have a history of being harder on the visa travelers than others. I used Detroit coming from Cebu for my wife. I tried to avoid anything on the West coast or Chicago as Port of Entries since they were known to be harder to get thru immigration (at least back in early 2000s.) 

Believe me U are going to be paying out the ass for her to stay in the USA for the next 11 years, so u might  start pulling out the wallet now.... and get use to the shock.

Congrats and good luck...

as always

jmho

that's good advice regarding being selective on the port of entry.  i will have to try to find out more about that.  thx

Monsoon

It is amazing how many people will give advice without having personal first hand knowledge and/or experience!

Canada, like the US typically does not have a 'transit' system. Means if you connect there you pass through immigration. If you are no admissible to Canada you will/can have a problem making a connection to your next flight. 

There is one exception and that is the old PAL flight from LAS that stopped in Calgary for refueling, but it was NOT a connection, it was a fuel stop and the passengers were confined to the gate area. I think the LAX flight may do the same. There was a cage/bars (like they have in mall store fronts) keeping them there. Basically everyone got off, had a pee and then got back on the plane when fueling was finished. 

Some countries that require Philippine passport holders to secure a visa (like Canada) allow exemptions for US permanent residents.  The problem you need to sort out is, is your 'fiancee' considered a permanent resident of the US before obtaining her green card? I think the answer is no. And in that case she would not be able to transit through Canada. 

EDIT - I should probably mention why I have a little bit of knowledge about all of this: I have travelled all over the world with Filipinas on their 'wonderful' passports. I have very recently planned trips with my wife where we wanted to go on a cruise, one of our interests was an Alaskan cruise. Because they all stop in Canada it was a NO GO for her without securing a Canadian visa first. I couldn't be bothered. During my research I read about the same crap regarding transit (lack thereof really) in Canada. 

Further, it doesn't preclude her from getting a TRV (transit visa), but Im sure by then the cost savings will become less desirable...

\

BTW - Airlines know all this shit (the computer tells them admission requirements at check in) so your fiancee wouldn't get past go. She wouldn't be allowed to board in the Philippines because the problem in route would be flagged. 

Good luck with everything! 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 3

shadow

It is amazing how many people will give advice without having personal first hand knowledge and/or experience!

Canada, like the US typically does not have a 'transit' system. Means if you connect there you pass through immigration. If you are no admissible to Canada you will/can have a problem making a connection to your next flight. 

There is one exception and that is the old PAL flight from LAS that stopped in Calgary for refueling, but it was NOT a connection, it was a fuel stop and the passengers were confined to the gate area. I think the LAX flight may do the same. There was a cage/bars (like they have in mall store fronts) keeping them there. Basically everyone got off, had a pee and then got back on the plane when fueling was finished. 

Some countries that require Philippine passport holders to secure a visa (like Canada) allow exemptions for US permanent residents.  The problem you need to sort out is, is your 'fiancee' considered a permanent resident of the US before obtaining her green card? I think the answer is no. And in that case she would not be able to transit through Canada. 

EDIT - I should probably mention why I have a little bit of knowledge about all of this: I have travelled all over the world with Filipinas on their 'wonderful' passports. I have very recently planned trips with my wife where we wanted to go on a cruise, one of our interests was an Alaskan cruise. Because they all stop in Canada it was a NO GO for her without securing a Canadian visa first. I couldn't be bothered. During my research I read about the same crap regarding transit (lack thereof really) in Canada. 

Further, it doesn't preclude her from getting a TRV (transit visa), but Im sure by then the cost savings will become less desirable...

\

BTW - Airlines know all this shit (the computer tells them admission requirements at check in) so your fiancee wouldn't get past go. She wouldn't be allowed to board in the Philippines because the problem in route would be flagged. 

Good luck with everything! 

READ THIS!

Buko Beach

I think Monsoon pretty much covered it. Forget about booking PAL tickets to transit through Canada. She will not be allowed to board in NAIA unless she has a Canadian visa. Either a tourist or a transit visa will do but those are hard to obtain for a single PAX coming from the Philippines no matter the intended destination or personal situation of the Filipina. Your USA fiancé visa is not valid for entry into Canada. You could use the fiancé visa to obtain a transit visa, but that would mean more paperwork and fees and more time to wait before you can fly.

Pearson airport in Toronto has two separate terminals. Passengers getting off the PAL flight have no choice but to go through immigration, then claim bags, then customs. Once through customs you go through doors into the general terminal 3 area. If a PAX wanted they could simply walk away and/or claim refugee status in Canada upon arrival. The Canadian Government is uber strict about who gets into Canada because of the free healthcare and welfare.

Also just to clarify, the old PR106-PR107 PAL flight MNL-LAS stopped in Vancouver, not Calgary. Monsoon described the procedure correctly. This flight has been discontinued since late 2012. The PAL flight MNL-LAX does not stop in Canada. Sometimes the flight stops in Guam or HNL, or it's non-stop depending on what time of year the flight is taken.

To the OP, I would look into booking the MNL-LAX flight, then book an LAX-east coast flight. You could also look into Delta, they fly through NRT (Tokyo) into Detroit.

All the best.

Paddy

Found this, but really do not fully understand

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/twov/travellers.asp

Woolf's link explains things pretty well - but there are several "hazards" in addition to having a valid Philippines passport:

• Must have a valid US visa
  • If transiting through Toronto - must use Terminal 1 - this means you can fly Air Canada or Air China but you can't fly on any of the other eligible airlines (Cathay Pacific or PAL) because they go to Terminal 3. Also better make sure the US flight leaves from T1!
  • Must transit at a time when the US in-transit pre-clearance facility is open
  • Applications to use the program (TWOV) must be made by the airline - so you will need to check if Air Canada or Air China have actually applied and/or are currently eligible - I suggest before buying such a ticket

It will be interesting to see how well you could tie this all together. Air Canada doesn't fly to Manila, so unless Air China can take her the whole way she will be flying on multiple tickets. 

Monsoon

Also just to clarify, the old PR106-PR107 PAL flight MNL-LAS stopped in Vancouver, not Calgary. Monsoon described the procedure correctly. This flight has been discontinued since late 2012. 

Yes you are absolutely correct. It was LAS-MNL via YVR! That flight is no more now unfortunately. 

• Like 1

miles-high

It appears Delta is very competitive – I would suggest you check the prices and the time en-route from MNL to RIC on Delta, ether via Narita or Nagoya (no transit visa needed for Japan)… In fact, it seems much less expensive on my screen... ;)

Edited by miles-high
  • Like 1

RickyL

You should just fly direct and save yourselves from a lot of unforseen problems. 

• Like 1