Sign in to follow this  
Lee

How to properly quote a post

SkyMan

Why is it that sometimes you can't get your comment out of the box you want to quote?

I just tried to comment on 3 different quotes(3 diff subjects)and could not get out of the quoted box.

click the icon at the very top left of the post box you are quoting, then it will change the BBCode Mode to put it back to the way it used to be years ago before quote boxes were installed automatically and then you can post below the very last [ /quote] you find at the very bottom of the post you are quoting.

Paul

Why is it that sometimes you can't get your comment out of the box you want to quote?

I just tried to comment on 3 different quotes(3 diff subjects)and could not get out of the quoted box.

My cursor is at the bottom, just below the quote, whenever I click "Quote" to quote someone's previous post, as in this case in replying to you.

However, if yours is NOT, just use your down arrow to move it down.

lopburi3

If you have BB Code selected however, and then select the quote, and then deselect BB Code your cursor will be within the quote and can not be moved outside without selecting BB Code again.  Easy to see by font as normally it will be very black but it BB Code is selected it becomes very faint to let you know.

Paul

If it is that big of an issue for too many members, I can simply force the basic editor to be used, through the control panel. That way, everyone will visually see the below the quoted text. Then, they will know to start their message (reply) beneath that point. 

Davaoeno

I dont see the problem . Sometimes the quote goes where I want- sometimes it doesnt. When it doesnt i just move it . No big deal .

Just like hitting the new content button- sometimes it says ' no new content' - so i just hit it again and get what i want . It seems pretty simple to me .   Few things in life work exactly the way that i want all the time.

lopburi3

Agree it is not an issue for those who know - but when it happens and a person is not aware it does make for errors - but that is why forums have moderators to correct such errors. :)

Really should be able to see post as it will appear rather than with machine functions.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

cebubird

My cursor is at the bottom, just below the quote, whenever I click "Quote" to quote someone's previous post, as in this case in replying to you.

Ahhh--ok-guess I was just looking at the fact that while typing it is in the box, but when I preview, see it is out of the box.

Just trying not to run afoul of rules here. I am pre-K when it comes to this stuff.

cebubird

Ahhh--ok-guess I was just looking at the fact that while typing it is in the box, but when I preview, see it is out of the box.

Just trying not to run afoul of rules here. I am pre-K when it comes to this stuff.

Paul

We don't really have a rule against proper quoting. Just want to make sure posters separate what THEY post, against what other members they may quote have posted. Basically, we don't want one member, even accidentally, making it look as though another member stated something. 

Not to mention, it makes it difficult to determine who said what, when all text is within the quoted text. 

• Like 1

Brucewayne

We really have a rule against proper quoting. Just want to make sure posters don't separate what THEY post, against what other members they may quote have posted. Basically, we want all members making it look as though another member stated something. 

Not to mention, it makes it difficult to determine who said what, when all text is within the quoted text., so be sure to squeeze as much in as possible to make the original poster look like a fool. 

• Like 2

Kim_

Is there a easy way to quote two posts this way?

I simply did a multiquote, then moved the quoted respons done by Paul into the quoted post by cebubird...

We don't really have a rule against proper quoting. Just want to make sure posters separate what THEY post, against what other members they may quote have posted. Basically, we don't want one member, even accidentally, making it look as though another member stated something.

Not to mention, it makes it difficult to determine who said what, when all text is within the quoted text.

or should it infact look this way?

JSL-USMC

We really have a rule against proper quoting. Just want to make sure posters don't separate what THEY post, against what other members they may quote have posted. Basically, we want all members making it look as though another member stated something. 

Not to mention, it makes it difficult to determine who said what, when all text is within the quoted text., so be sure to squeeze as much in as possible to make the original poster look like a fool. 

By golly, I thnk you got it.

• Like 1

Paul

Is there a easy way to quote two posts this way?

Not sure what you are asking. We have a setting in the ACP that will allow members to quote embedded quotes, or disallow it, where it will only allow - I believe, only one posters quoted text, whomever you are replying to.

With it as it is, you can move the text any way you wish, as long as it is clear as to who posted what text. The only issue I see here is, you tiring of doing that every time you quote text with embedded quotes already existing. 

Kim_

Not sure what you are asking. We have a setting in the ACP that will allow members to quote embedded quotes, or disallow it, where it will only allow - I believe, only one posters quoted text, whomever you are replying to.

With it as it is, you can move the text any way you wish, as long as it is clear as to who posted what text. The only issue I see here is, you tiring of doing that every time you quote text with embedded quotes already existing.

Well, yes I was asking how to do embedded quotes in an easy way.  Normally, there is no need for embedded quotations but it happens.  I guess I don't have access to ACP, whatever it is?

I can live with doing this the way I did, just being curious.

Paul

I guess I don't have access to ACP, whatever it is?

Sorry. It is a global setting in the ACP (Administrator Control Panel), to change how previous posts are quoted, when they already have quoted texts embedded. 

• Like 1