Sign in to follow this  
Lee

How to properly quote a post

Headshot

Optimally, quoted txt would not be editable by the quoter but I think that's probably beyond forum software capabilities.

Well, if we see somebody reconstructing a quote to give a different meaning than was intended by the quoted poster, The person who reconstructed the post can probably expect a warning or worse.

Ricky

Can someone please highlight this thread to the British guy who quotes half of the internet in his posts and rambles on pointless irrelevant tangents.

• Like 2

Paul

Can someone please highlight this thread to the British guy who quotes half of the internet in his posts and rambles on pointless irrelevant tangents.

We could. OR, you could simply pass over his threads. There is no law on the books of this forum, demanding that you must open David's, or anyone else's threads. 

Now, stay on topic.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Now, stay on topic.
Can I quote you on that?
  • Like 1

storybrook

All to often lately I see members replying to other members posts and the person replying will post their replies in the op's post box they are quoting, which then makes it very hard for readers to follow and understand who wrote what and why.   

I think as a newbie I have been guilty of this on more than one occassion.  It's amazing what you can learn even us old dogs can learn a few new tricks...see just by doing this I have learned how to do it....i think...now where is that part about me being able to preview this??????????  hmmmmmmm only see a post or more reply options....I'll try more reply options and she what is under that rock.

AH  cool more fun stuff....Now I see a preview post....I'm getting good at this I think...  hmmmm nope now I'm in a loop asking me to add a reply I thought I was done...this is confusing to my old brain. Well let me think outload, I can either preview the post again, or I can add a reply....not much of a choice....I just want to post this damn thing and be done with it...ok I'll click the other one and add reply and see what happens.......

• Like 2

storybrook

.I just want to post this damn thing and be done with it...ok I'll click the other one and add reply and see what happens.......

Ok got it so the Add Reply is the same thing as POST Don't know why it didn't just say POST and changed the wording but I got it.  I'm cooking with gas now....many that is an old saying....

passingby

I guess highlight - copy and paste is too simple -

Jeepney

Hmm, when I post a reply, or try to quote a part, my editor is passive, nothing I can do to highlight asection, increase lettersize...nothing!

Maybe something is broke, Paul> what did you do? :)

Paul

Hmm, when I post a reply, or try to quote a part, my editor is passive, nothing I can do to highlight asection, increase lettersize...nothing!

Maybe something is broke, Paul> what did you do? :)

Click on the little icon on the top left row of your text editor.

lopburi3

It does not provide a link to the original poster/post as using the quote or selective quote functions do and requires extra steps (highlight - copy - paste - highlight - enclose in quote).

Edited by lopburi3

passingby

I am more interested in content and/or ideas and not trying to post the complete history of a comment so for me as one who is NOT an expert on forum software highlight - copy and paste works.  How can 3 pages and 24 or so comments be taken on this technical subject.  Sorry but for this old uneducated guy what works for me is OK for me.  If anyone is offended by my method where I may have included a quote from them, sorry let me know and I will remove the quote from what I have written

Paul

I am more interested in content and/or ideas and not trying to post the complete history of a comment so for me as one who is NOT an expert on forum software highlight - copy and paste works.

In that case, simply use the "Selective Quote" feature at the bottom left of each members' post. Highlight just as you would normally, then click "Selective Quote".

storybrook

I am more interested in content and/or ideas and not trying to post the complete history of a comment so for me as one who is NOT an expert on forum software highlight - copy and paste works.

In that case, simply use the "Selective Quote" feature at the bottom left of each members' post. Highlight just as you would normally, then click "Selective Quote".

yep that what I learned to do and it's simple and easy even for us OLD MEN!  It's always fun learning something new.

Edited by Paul
Please edit quote errors.

cebubird

Why is it that sometimes you can't get your comment out of the box you want to quote?

I just tried to comment on 3 different quotes(3 diff subjects)and could not get out of the quoted box.

Lee

Why is it that sometimes you can't get your comment out of the box you want to quote?

I just tried to comment on 3 different quotes(3 diff subjects)and could not get out of the quoted box.

Did you read post 1 in this thread.