Sign in to follow this  
Lee

How to properly quote a post

Lee

All to often lately I see members replying to other members posts and the person replying will post their replies in the op's post box they are quoting, which then makes it very hard for readers to follow and understand who wrote what and why.  I post this because it has happened to me a number of times and it then changes the meaning of what I wrote. :(

If a member wishes to quote a post, then once they click on the quote icon, they then need to go to the very bottom of the post quote box they wish to quote and then post below the person quote box . It also helps to click on the Preview Post icon to see what your post will look like before you post it, or if you click the icon post-2331-0-16491100-1391784531_thumb.jpg at the very top left of the post box you are quoting, then it will change the BBCode Mode to put it back to the way it used to be years ago before quote boxes were installed automatically and then you can post below the very last [ /quote] you find at the very bottom of the post you are quoting. 

• Like 8

Lee

Paul or anyone know of a way to solve this issue or possibly someone can please explain it better than I can. 

rfm010

Paul or anyone know of a way to solve this issue or possibly someone can please explain it better than I can. 

are you saying don't do this?

but do this instead?

• Like 6

Lee

Yes, that explains it well. 

Aerosick

The Post Editor
There are two versions of the post editor: the standard editor and the rich text editor. Which one you use can be configured from your settings. With the rich text editor, you'll see how the post will look when it's finally posted, like a live preview.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/index.php?app=core&module=help

broden

With the rich text editor, you'll see how the post will look when it's finally posted, like a live preview.

and this also gives people a good chance to read what they just typed before they actually post it and decide if it is something they really want to or should post

Brucewayne

it is something they really want to or should post

There is a certain member who quotes like this, then swears the poster stated it this way.

Posting out of context by using only part of a sentence should be a capital offense.

• Like 1

Paul

FIrst, thanks, Lee for bringing this up. I have been wanting to address this for a while. I am glad someone else did. Let's work on proper quoting, people. If you do not know how to do it, then all you have to do is ASK someone else who does. Simple solution.

Posting out of context by using only part of a sentence should be a capital offense.

Another way of quoting a previous poster, is to highlight a given sentence, paragraph, or several paragraphs of the previous posters text, and click "Selective Quote" to put ONLY the highlighted text in your text box. Then, you may reply to it. 

But, to answer your question, Bruce, I do the same thing, sometimes. That is, I will take only a portion of the sentence and quote it, rather than the entire text, to address one specific point a previous poster may have made. 

I do agree with you, though, that it should not be done to take the previous posters quoted text out of content. 

• Like 4

Half Baked

FIrst, thanks, Lee for bringing this up. I have been wanting to address this for a while. I am glad someone else did. Let's work on proper quoting, people. If you do not know how to do it, then all you have to do is ASK someone else who does. Simple solution.

Another way of quoting a previous poster, is to highlight a given sentence, paragraph, or several paragraphs of the previous posters text, and click "Selective Quote" to put ONLY the highlighted text in your text box. Then, you may reply to it. 

But, to answer your question, Bruce, I do the same thing, sometimes. That is, I will take only a portion of the sentence and quote it, rather than the entire text, to address one specific point a previous poster may have made. 

I do agree with you, though, that it should not be done to take the previous posters quoted text out of content. 

Although, I really am the southbound end of a northbound horse!!

WHA--?! Paul, don't be so critical of yerself.  WE can do that to you a lot better than you can! :)

• Like 1

Headshot

All to often lately I see members replying to other members posts and the person replying will post their replies in the op's post box they are quoting, which then makes it very hard for readers to follow and understand who wrote what and why.   

While we are on this topic, there are two other things that should be discussed.

First, if you answering a small portion of someone's long post, please hit the "Quote" button, but then trim down the quote to be only the part you are answering (such as what I have done above. Please include at least a full sentence. And...if the post you are quoting contains pictures, please delete them from the quote before posting. If the pictures are what you are commenting on, it probably isn't necessary to even use the "Quote" function. Just say nice pictures...or whatever else you want to say. If more than one person has posted pictures, then name the person you are commenting on at the beginning of your reply.

Also, sometimes it is very easy to double press the "Quote" button and end up with something like this...

Please do everyone the courtesy of reading what you have written before you hit the "Post" button. If you see more than one quote, please delete the extras. If somehow a double quote (I have actually seen up to five duplicate quotes in a post) still gets into your post, it is very easy to hit the "Edit" button at the bottom of your post, remove the extra quote(s), and then hit the "Resubmit" button. It saves the mods from having to do it. I remember one post where somebody had quoted one of DavidLivingInTalisay's long posts four times (in their full length...even though he was only commenting on one sentence). It is mind boggling to think that somebody could do that and not notice it...but they did.

So...trim the quote down to the bit that you are actually commenting on...and make sure you only do it once. Thanks.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

lopburi3

As mentioned trim of long quotes is a good idea and can easily be done by highlighting and using 'selective quote' very effectively to point out what your reply specifically refers to but care should be taken that it does not change the meaning of the original posters thoughts.

The original point is to be sure to start reply below the quoted text box whenever using quote function.

As mentioned we should always make at least one review before posting (and in my case may make that several as often type real but wrong words).  

BossHog

BruceWayne said that being a homeless street child....

should be a capital offense

Discuss.

• Like 4

JamesMusslewhite

As mentioned trim of long quotes is a good idea and can easily be done by highlighting and using 'selective quote' very effectively to point out what your reply specifically refers to but care should be taken that it does not change the meaning of the original posters thoughts.

The original point is to be sure to start reply below the quoted text box whenever using quote function.

As mentioned we should always make at least one review before posting (and in my case may make that several as often type real but wrong words).  

Very true and text meanings can be lost or changed completely. Let take the above quote and without rearranging text but simply emitting words can do to a members post..

As mentioned quotes can be done effectively taken that thoughts quoted using quote function always make posting wrong.

This seems often to be used merely as a flaming tactic which often leads to senseless infighting between posters. That being said I see benefits in selectively removing sections from very long posts that are unrelated to the response as to make the posts much smaller and easier for members to read and follow; but the true meaning and intent of a posters views should be left in tact.

• Like 1

lopburi3

This is especially important when the quoted post contains its own quote(s).  What your reply refers to is what is needed as long as you have the link to OP name/time that can be checked if required.  Obviously anyone making selective changes to troll should reap there just rewards from the mods.  

SkyMan

I think this problem is partly systematic.  It seems sometimes I have (not sure if full quote or selective) quoted something and while I get the wysiwyg quote box

No carriage return is inserted after the box to allow proper test entry.  I click but get no test cursor.  When this happens I toggle the BBCodeMode button on top left to get:

["quote"]
[/"quote"]

Put the cursor at the end of the [/"quote"] hit return and then toggle back the BBCodeMode button.  Then text can be entered in the proper way.  To be sure press the Preview Post or More Reply Options to view a wysiwyg Preview. 

Additionally, please avoid quoting long posts, particularly news articles.  If you have something for a specific part of it just use specific quoting.  If you want to make sure your reply addresses a long post, just use selective quoting for the first few lines and insert an ellipsis.... to show there was more to it.

Another way to selective quote is to highlight what you want (might not even be from LinC) and drag it to your reply, then with it highlighted in your reply, press the quote button.  (Looks like a text balloon.)  Doing this will not credit the poster, however, and just say Quote as above.

Optimally, quoted txt would not be editable by the quoter but I think that's probably beyond forum software capabilities.

• Like 1