Sign in to follow this  
scoander

Reformatting with Windows 2007

Kim_

..........and what I'd have to do for programs backup, etc.

I don't think you can backup programs but data files only. This as most programs write needed information into a registry during installation.

You need to note down all programs you want to keep and reinstall them after a HD formatting. Don't forget to make sure you have the product keys if it is licensed software.  This program, keyfinder, can read out the license key. (at least it found my Win8 key).

Majorsco

I don't think you can backup programs but data files only. This as most programs write needed information into a registry during installation.

You need to note down all programs you want to keep and reinstall them after a HD formatting. Don't forget to make sure you have the product keys if it is licensed software. This program, keyfinder, can read out the license key. (at least it found my Win8 key).

Program files can be backed up no problem. In fact people should have a Copy. Sometimes a file in the program is corrupted and a back up copy can replace it. You can't reinstall from a backup though.

You could image you installation disk potentially and reinstall from an imaged copy on external media.

I've done that with many computer games that require the disk inserted to run. I just have it imaged and loaded to a virtual drive do the computer doesn't know it's not the physical disk.

scoander

As I said, I used Malwarebytes which helped my speed a lot, but I uninstalled my Avast before scanning the former. Now I have this "bad image" window opening up everytime I do something, saying that C:\PROGRA~2\Wincert\WIN32C~1.DLL is either "not designed for Windows or contains an error." A virus?  Also, I can't get Avast back up.

philuk

As I said, I used Malwarebytes which helped my speed a lot, but I uninstalled my Avast before scanning the former. Now I have this "bad image" window opening up everytime I do something, saying that C:PROGRA~2WincertWIN32C~1.DLL is either "not designed for Windows or contains an error." A virus? Also, I can't get Avast back up.

Go start assesories system tools find sytem restore and follow prompts to restore to an earlier time this hopefully will undo what you did

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

lopburi3

Did you install Avast again after the uninstall (or did you just mean you turned it off)?  If you restore using a system image you will be at square one (but that would require your having made backups recently).  Probably best you visit a computer shop and have them get running as you want - just be sure to tell them of anything you need saved before they do anything.

scoander

Did you install Avast again after the uninstall (or did you just mean you turned it off)?  If you restore using a system image you will be at square one (but that would require your having made backups recently).  Probably best you visit a computer shop and have them get running as you want - just be sure to tell them of anything you need saved before they do anything.

I uninstalled Avast before I ran Malwarebytes. Then I downloaded Avast again and was informed that Windows didn't recognize the file when I tried to run it. Went to the Avast forum, found others with the same problem, read I'd need a removal tool as uninstalling a antivirus program in the usual way is inadequate. Ran that, in Safe Mode as recommended. Found and removed files, but I still couldn't install Avast.  Went back and restored the system.  That put Avast back on but in a disabled state--and it's also when I started getting "bad image" warnings. Downloaded and ran Malwarebytes again but still the same. I'm pretty sure it's a virus. I'll bring it somewhere tomorrow. Thanks.

lopburi3

Good luck and you might consider the free Bitdefender antivirus with the new install as have found it very good (and is highest rated) and does not use any system resources to speak of.   

philuk

Also consider microsoft security essentials. Its free and the only anti virus i have ever used

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2