Sign in to follow this  
scoander

Reformatting with Windows 2007

scoander

Anyone out there willing--or know of somebody willing--to reformat an aging desktop I got from my employer a few years back. I'm in Guadalupe in Cebu City. It would have to be no later than early next week. PM me with a price and what I'd have to do for programs backup, etc.

Thanks!

lopburi3

If you are running XP and fear the 'maybe' coming to an end talk I would not worry about it too much.  They are already starting to backslide and in any case it will continue to be usable - just no new updates.  Believe you may want to have 4 megs of ram if changing to Win 7 so if can may want to do that at same time (if not done already).  That said am sure any computer shop would be willing to do the deed for you and should not cost much (unless for legal Win 7 software) but remember you will have to have programs installed again so best you get software together so they can do for you.  Win 7 does provide a rather good listing if you use there transfer program but a third party might not bother.

philuk

4 gig of ram not really needed for windows 7. I have just built a Tyan Thunder server motherboard into a pc case, it has two duel core cpu's and fans with two gig of ram each.

during normal use it barely uses much more than 800 meg of ram, saw it peek at 1.2 gig usage once. most pc's will run wnidows 7 comfortably with 2 gig of ram.

If the motherboard is old you may not be able to get compatible drivers for it for windows 7. post the motherboard make and model on here, ( normally found between the pci slots or the ram slots )

lopburi3

Have upgraded four family units myself and have indeed found the change from 2 to 4 to be very welcome in speed of units.  It costs almost nothing today at current prices and will really make your experience using older computers much more pleasant in my view.

scoander

4 gig of ram not really needed for windows 7. I have just built a Tyan Thunder server motherboard into a pc case, it has two duel core cpu's and fans with two gig of ram each.

during normal use it barely uses much more than 800 meg of ram, saw it peek at 1.2 gig usage once. most pc's will run wnidows 7 comfortably with 2 gig of ram.

If the motherboard is old you may not be able to get compatible drivers for it for windows 7. post the motherboard make and model on here, ( normally found between the pci slots or the ram slots )

What I copied off the motherboard: ASRock G31M-S   FSB1600  DDR2800 Dual Channel   The RAM is 1.00 GB. What's on it now is Windows 2007 Ultimate.

GoHuk

Don't know Phil - is that a 32 bit or a 64 bit O/S?  I've just moved from Win 7 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit and with 2Gb of DDR2 the 64 bit O/S is snail-like (lots of disk activity) compared with the 32 bit version.  I have 8Gb of DDR3 sitting beside me waiting to be installed hoping to improve performance (when I get a round tuit).

philuk

Don't know Phil - is that a 32 bit or a 64 bit O/S?  I've just moved from Win 7 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit and with 2Gb of DDR2 the 64 bit O/S is snail-like (lots of disk activity) compared with the 32 bit version.  I have 8Gb of DDR3 sitting beside me waiting to be installed hoping to improve performance (when I get a round tuit).

64 bit is faster but uses more ram to do it. 

do control- alt- delete, and start task manager check on the performance tab and see what your cpu usage is, when at idle it should be next to nothing mine is at 1%.. if it sitting high, there is a good chance you have picked up some malware, download malwarebytes to remove it.

It will also show you how much memory it is using,

For a better check click on resource monitor, on the same page and the disc tab at the top will show you disc activity and the memory tab will show the ram is being used,

I am using win 7 64 bit with 3 gig of ram and it flies,

I have just finished number 8 of 12 motherboards i need for an i cafe all with win 7 32 bit and 2 gig ram, some are duel core, some are pentium 4's

philuk

What I copied off the motherboard: ASRock G31M-S   FSB1600  DDR2800 Dual Channel   The RAM is 1.00 GB. What's on it now is Windows 2007 Ultimate.

you are running windows 7 ultimate, why do you want to reformat,

do you have the windows 7 disc, or is there a recovery partition on the hard drive

if you click on this link      

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=asrock+g31m-s+fsb1600+manual

this is the manual for your motherboard.

and this 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&Model=G31M-S

will take you to Asrocks download page for the drivers.

Edited by philuk

GoHuk

64 bit is faster but uses more ram to do it. 

do control- alt- delete, and start task manager check on the performance tab and see what your cpu usage is, when at idle it should be next to nothing mine is at 1%.. if it sitting high, there is a good chance you have picked up some malware, download malwarebytes to remove it.

It will also show you how much memory it is using,

For a better check click on resource monitor, on the same page and the disc tab at the top will show you disc activity and the memory tab will show the ram is being used,

I am using win 7 64 bit with 3 gig of ram and it flies,

I have just finished number 8 of 12 motherboards i need for an i cafe all with win 7 32 bit and 2 gig ram, some are duel core, some are pentium 4's

No there is no malware.  I use Avira regularly and Malwarebytes occasionally to ensure a 'clean' machine.  I'll post again after installing the new memory with my observations.

Meanwhile I would expect any system to consume minimal resources while idle but I really don't want an idle machine. ;) (My CPU usage while idle shows 0% most of the time, peaking every few seconds to 4% for a split second.)  There are other reasons why my performance may have degraded when upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit.

I'd also enjoy discussing why you claim 64 bit is intrinsically faster than 32 bit but I fear we're straying off-topic and I forget what the punishment for that is - something with boiling oil in it I fancy.

• Like 1

Runian

cant use DDR3 where it used to be DDR2 , it wont fit in the slots .. bought DD3 by accsident for my DDR2 slotted motherboard to bad my new pc back in norway already have 16 gig DDR3 sigh

Edited by Runian
  • Like 1

scoander

you are running windows 7 ultimate, why do you want to reformat,

do you have the windows 7 disc, or is there a recovery partition on the hard drive

if you click on this link      

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=asrock+g31m-s+fsb1600+manual

this is the manual for your motherboard.

and this 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&Model=G31M-S

will take you to Asrocks download page for the drivers.

I downloaded and ran the free version of Malwarebytes. Found 64 problems and the computer is faster now. My CPU usage is 1% when idle.

But when I look at the "processes" I see 20-odd things going on all under the user name of my former employer, from whom I got this thing. I might not be necessary, but I thought I'd get a little more out of it if I reformatted. Not to mention starting with a clean slate sans reminders of the bastards I worked for!!

philuk

I dont consider it off topic, we are still discussing windows 7 software, and the instalation of said software, which is the op's original question,

just taken this from microsoft web site,

If you’re shopping for a new computer, chances are you already have enough to consider without wondering whether you should buy a computer with a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7.

There’s no need to fret. For most people, there’s little reason to think about this choice when you’re making your next computer purchase. That’s good, since many people don’t understand the difference between a PC running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows, and the version they choose won’t make a big difference in most cases.

Some power users prefer a 64-bit version of Windows. There’s no mystery there. A computer with a 64-bit version of Windows can use more memory—4 GB (gigabytes) or more—than a PC with a 32-bit version of Windows, which is limited to about 3.5 GB or less. (Even if a PC comes with 4 GB or more of memory installed, a 32-bit version of Windows can only use about 3.5 GB of that memory.)

With more memory, you can keep more files and programs open at once without slowing down your computer. But having more than 3.5 GB available usually won’t matter unless you really keep a lot of things open at once

It is all about ram access and the use of it.                            the more ram you have, the more of a buffer you have to hold information ready for instant use, 32 bit can only access 3.5 gigs of ram, any more than that is a waste,    so not that much of a buffer, so win 32 has to keep fetching from the hard drive,  which is slower,  

philuk

I downloaded and ran the free version of Malwarebytes. Found 64 problems and the computer is faster now. My CPU usage is 1% when idle.

But when I look at the "processes" I see 20-odd things going on all under the user name of my former employer, from whom I got this thing. I might not be necessary, but I thought I'd get a little more out of it if I reformatted. Not to mention starting with a clean slate sans reminders of the bastards I worked for!!

Ok mate, do me a favour,

click start,    computer,   on the page that opens right click on any white part of it not on any drive icons, then click properties it will bring up your system information,

scroll down to where it shows computer name, to right is a link to change settings,  in the next window where it says " to rename this computer " click on the change tab the next window will show you the name of the pc, change it to whatever in the box,     for example       scoander-pc  then click ok it will ask for a re-start,   all the processes will now belong to you and your boss will be gone,

Edited by philuk

philuk

you can also go into    control panel  uninstall a programe,   and uninstall any software added that you dont want,

this will speed up the boot time ............... keep desk top icons that you will only use daily,   anything else delete them, they are only shorcuts, but windows will load an instance of the program at boot up,  

GoHuk

cant use DDR3 where it used to be DDR2 , it wont fit in the slots .. bought DD3 by accsident for my DDR2 slotted motherboard to bad my new pc back in norway already have 16 gig DDR3 sigh

Quite true.  My motherboard has 2 DDR2 slots and 2 DDR3 slots.  Unfortunately you can't mix and match, it has to be exclusively DDR2 or DDR3.