Duterte Says He Will Gladly Kill

Even though I don't believe in vigalante justice I am wondering what will happen after Duterte is gone will the vultures return or will people be more law abiding?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Majorsco

• Baywak

• RogerDuMond

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Paul should make him a moderator on this forum........eliminate the bitchin whining members....

Isn't this how tyranny starts? Best intentions forward and then it slowly morphs and the definition of "criminals" starts to expand...

His strong arm tactics have driven out any opposition, he has cleaned out the poor and underprivileged and flaunts the laws, that as a mayor he has sworn to uphold.     He has driven out any oppos

JamesMusslewhite

I'm sure the citizens feel that way now.  Some people liked Marcos.   If he were to follow through on his lawless lawmanship (I know its not a word, but it works), do the ends justify the means?  That encourages more lawlessness for other offenses.  Maybe some of his political enemies may just disappear for the common good.  Maybe starting off on a public spirited note, but may end up just like Marcos, and we all know what happened during his dictatorship. 

Now I was here during Marcos both before and after the "People's Power Revolt" and Marcos was a tyrant who preyed on citizens to promote an evil agenda and self indulgences . Google "Philippines the Disappeared" and  you will see there is a night and day difference compared to Duterte. If you don't like his methods than you do need to go to Davao. Marcos made the whole Philippines dangerous and Duterte made a very very dangerous City safe... :biggrin_01:

As yet I have heard of political opponents or non-criminals threatened or harmed by these vigilantes..

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 2
Majorsco

Now I was here during Marcos both before and after the "People's Power Revolt" and Marcos was a tyrant who preyed on citizens to promote an evil agenda and self indulgences . Google "Philippines the Disappeared" and  you will see there is a night and day difference compared to Duterte. If you don't like his methods than you do need to go to Davao. Marcos made the whole Philippines dangerous and Duterte made a very very dangerous City safe... :biggrin_01:

As yet I have heard of political opponents or non-criminals threatened or harmed by these vigilantes..

Yes, they can't be compared at the moment when Duterte is just a mayor and Marcos a dictator.  The speculation of myself and others is what would he become if he takes that same type of lawless approach to the national stage.  He may not be as bad as Marcos, but he could be worse.

I think he should take his strong desires to have a safe city and actually make a lasting difference that won't erode as soon as he's gone.  That would be a legacy worth a great deal.  His tactics are not likely repeatable by others, so he's just a flash in the pan.  Makes great headlines, and may have good results temporarily, but when he's gone it won't stay the way it is.

• Like 2
tobster

Paul should make him a moderator on this forum........eliminate the bitchin whining members....

• Like 9
JamesMusslewhite

Yes, they can't be compared at the moment when Duterte is just a mayor and Marcos a dictator.  The speculation of myself and others is what would he become if he takes that same type of lawless approach to the national stage.  He may not be as bad as Marcos, but he could be worse.

I think he should take his strong desires to have a safe city and actually make a lasting difference that won't erode as soon as he's gone.  That would be a legacy worth a great deal.  His tactics are not likely repeatable by others, so he's just a flash in the pan.  Makes great headlines, and may have good results temporarily, but when he's gone it won't stay the way it is.

And in that there may be the problem that necessitated such action, and if it reverts back to the levels it was before him, than is it a necessary evil in that region of the Philippines? Nationally there is not the need nor would it be accepted, but the citizens do not resort to that level of uncontrollable crime.  

Skywalker
Are you saying committing extrajudicial murder is acceptable in modern civilization?

Are you saying this is a good example of "modern civilisation"?

There's a reason why he is popular, and frankly it doesn't matter what you or I think about it.  We are aliens here, or did you forget that?

In the so-called wild west, which wasn't actually that long ago.  There was lots of extra-judicial killings.  That probably wasn't right, as we apply our version of right; but it worked during a time when the Law was being ignored.

Edited by Skywalker

You boys can say what you want about Rody. But, if I were a Filipino, the man would have my vote, and a yearly donation for bullets. We had, for a very short period, a similar form of justice in Cebu. Unfortunately, it came to an end.  So, yes, I am a HUGE supporter of vigilante justice, and certainly of the DDS (Davao Death Squad). 

If he were President, he would not impose Martial Law. He is nothing like the Marcos family. Please do not insult the man by making such comparisons. He would, however, make sure the country were cleaned up and criminals would be running for their lives, quite literally. So, one could only hope that he would run for the highest office in the land, one day. However, I do not think that is what he is aiming for. Personally, he seems quite content in h is part of the world. Plus, he would probably have too much opposition from those who are more liberal, in the country. Right now, he is in an environment he can control, and he does it well.

Even though I don't believe in vigalante justice I am wondering what will happen after Duterte is gone will the vultures return or will people be more law abiding?

Hopefully, his daughter will have learned enough from Papa, and take over and be mayor at that time. If not, I don't know who would have the balls to fill his shoes.

People, on their own, would never be "law abiding". The members of this forum have proven that since its inception. Hell, I had to, quite literally, start banning people from the site before they started taking me seriously. (By the way, that will continue as the herd will continue to need to be thinned. So, do not get complacent here, folks, and start breaking the rules of this site. The days of me being patient are history. Welcome to the New World Order.)

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
Majorsco

Are you saying this is a good example of "modern civilisation"?

There's a reason why he is popular, and frankly it doesn't matter what you or I think about it.  We are aliens here, or did you forget that?

In the so-called wild west, which wasn't actually that long ago.  There was lots of extra-judicial killings.  That probably wasn't right, as we apply our version of right; but it worked during a time when the Law was being ignored.

The Philippines is trying to put such savagery and lawlessness in the past, not embrace more of it.  They are trying to grow up as a country.  Granted they're not succeeding in many areas, but encouraging it doesn't help them grow up as a society.  They will always be a third world country if they can't get control make this a law abiding and orderly society.

There are other ways besides vigilantism.  Its been done in other cities of the world.  I for one would never set foot in a place like that, where you never know what the vigilanties are doing there is no rule of law. 

• Like 3

There are other ways besides vigilantism.

Show me another way that makes the criminals so fearful, that they wish to remain in jail, rather than to be released. 

Show me another way that reduces the crime rate in a city to almost zero, and I will support it.

I see you do not live in Cebu City. However, during the time of our "Vigilantes". Women would walk downtown with their jewelry hanging from their bodies again. People would walk in "bad areas" at night, again. People felt safe in the city, for the first time in ages. 

Look at the justice system in the US. It's a joke. We need judges like Judge Roy Bean again. 

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Why is it no one asks the question of why is a government placing a higher tariff on the food staple of its people than it does on mechanical/construction related goods?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

CebuKano

Show me another way that makes the criminals so fearful, that they wish to remain in jail, rather than to be released. 

Show me another way that reduces the crime rate in a city to almost zero, and I will support it.

I see you do not live in Cebu City. However, during the time of our "Vigilantes". Women would walk downtown with their jewelry hanging from their bodies again. People would walk in "bad areas" at night, again. People felt safe in the city, for the first time in ages. 

Look at the justice system in the US. It's a joke. We need judges like Judge Roy Bean again.

This all sounds good on paper, so to speak, but what happens when there are cases of mistaken identity? It happens all the time for one reason or another.

• Like 2
Majorsco

Establishing a police force that enforced laws rather than being corrupt themselves, having judges impose maximum sentences, building bigger prisons, use intelligence capabilities to get and convict the criminal leaders, then those who replace them. Bring in troops if necessary to aid the police.

Corruption is why the city let criminals rein. They will do what they want if they "own" officials and police.

Even if the mayor gets what he wants in Davao, without fixing the underlying cause , the criminals will go to a city they can "buy" and start over.

The mayor needs to work with Pres Aquino in eliminating corruption and not just engage in a short term crusade.

Once control has been achieved then it needs to be maintained.

Singapore is a good example of a consistently orderly and controlled society. Not perfect, but crime is not rampant.

• Like 2

This all sounds good on paper, so to speak, but what happens when there are cases of mistaken identity? It happens all the time for one reason or another.

Out of the, oh, 120 - 130 or so cases where they shot and killed (most of the criminals), I do not know of a single "mistaken" identity. 

As I stated, I am in support of it. It is not perfect - and neither is our justice system in the states. I wonder how many innocent men are behind bars in the US, today? Either way, it works. It keeps crime in check. 

It's just like the guy who pointed a gun at myself and JJ, so many years ago. I was willing to die to stop him from getting what he wanted. He, however, being a coward criminal, was not willing to die in order to take it. 

Majorsco

I agree with your assessment if the justice system of the US mostly. It works in the rural parts but not in the urban areas . Federal justice system is a joke I agree.

Judges like judge Bean, I don't know, but I understand the sentiment. Sheriff Arpaio in Phoenix is one getting the job done within the law and he's feared by the PC police in DOJ.

• Like 1

I'm sure i heard him say on tv that he will kill him if the smuggler comes out and fight when Duterte sees him in the act of unloading smuggled rice.

Print media has this routine of always leaving out some sentences or words for sensationalism.