Sign in to follow this  
maccydee

CNI from UK registrars office. Will it be recognised in Cebu.

maccydee

Hi all I've looked thru the forum but can't see an answer to this question. I went for my interview for my certificate of non impediment on jan 27. It has to be up on the walls of the office there for 21 days. I will collect it on February 18th & will travel to cebu on march 1st. I'm being married on April 4th, is there anything I need to have done or will they recognise this certificate or will it have to be stamped by the consulate.

Majorsco

My kids nanny is engaged to an Australian who on his last trip brought an equivalent CNI from his government. They went to city hall to get the marriage license and were denied because it was not on the Philippine form filled out by the Australian embassy. They would not accept the foreign form.

Edited by Majorsco

ancienrocka

Philippine law requires the CNI to be issued by the Embassy of the applicant’s country of nationality in the Philippines.

I believe you need to take the CNI issued to you in the UK to the British Embassy in Manila to have it stamped locally.

• Like 1

hookedtothenet

I believe you need to take the CNI issued to you in the UK to the British Embassy in Manila to have it stamped locally.

Yep, that's what you will have to do maccydee.

Buko Beach

Coming from Canada I had to get one done in my home province, then take the letter to my Department of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa to get it stamped/certified. Upon arrival in Cebu I took the stamped letter to the Canadian Consulate to get it authenticated. The process will be different for every Country but at least it gives you an idea of the process. You can't get married without going through all the steps.

Just wondering if you know you have to file a SEPERATE cenomar (certificate of no marriage) for you and your fiance in Cebu to make sure the both of you are not already married. That takes awhile to get the results. If I remember back it took at least a week to get the clear cenomar. You and your fiance will also need to attend a marriage counseling seminar. You can book the seminar at Cebu City Health.

Also take note that once you and your fiance have completed all the requirements, your marriage license request will be posted outside Cebu City Health offices for a 10 day waiting period. You probably know all the details, but if you are unsure here is the link to the marriage license checklist.

http://www.cebucity.gov.ph/avail-apply-inquire/civil-documents?start=3

Best wishes on your upcoming nuptials.

philuk

Had mine done at the consulate in Angeles,  it will be required

David_LivinginTalisay

The CNI issued by 'Registrar of Marriages', is not the same as the local CNI required for the 21 Day Posting of Notice of Intent to Marry?

If you have applied at another Embassy/Consulate overseas, the Embassy/Consulate will forward a copy of the 
Notice of Marriage (NOM), properly endorsed, to the British Embassy in Manila. Once this is received, a local CNI 
can be issued. 

You will need to make an appointment to collect the local CNI and will need to produce other documents. Or you 
may authorise a representative to submit the application and collect the local CNI on your behalf. 

My CNI was issued by the British Consulate (Maya Jackson - Honorary British Consulate,organised it, from here in Cebu).  Believe it was sent to Manila in Diplomatic bag ands was processed afterchecking Records in the UK

Moya Jackson, our Honorary Consul, in Cebu retired (Friday 19th April 2013). In the interim period, and until her successor is officially appointed, all CNI applications and other matters should go through consular section, British Embassy Manila. We apologise for the temporary inconvenience.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/certificate-of-no-impediment-and-nulla-ostas

A Certificate of No Impediment is a certificate which confirms there are no objections to your proposed marriage.

Document

Detail

If you are getting married overseas, you may be asked to prove that you are single or that you are allowed to marry. In most cases, you will be able to obtain a CNI for this purpose. You should check with the authorities in the country where you are getting married if you need a CNI.

A Nulla Osta is the Italian version of the Certificate of No Impediment

HOW TO APPLY FOR A CERTIFICATE OF NO IMPEDIMENT (CNI) 

1. How to proceed if you already have a CNI issued by a Registrar of Marriages in the United 
Kingdom, or a British Embassy/Consulate Overseas 

The Registrar in the UK, or the Consular Official at the British Embassy/Consulate overseas, will require you to 
appear personally before him. Your Notice of Marriage will have to be posted on his notice board for 21 days 
before he can issue your CNI. When the procedure is completed, the Registrar in the UK will give you a CNI, which 
you must present to the British Embassy Manila. 

The local CNI will be available after your appointment if all the documents are in order and there will be no 
requirement for you to re-visit the Embassy

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

Majorsco
A Certificate of No Impediment is a certificate which confirms there are no objections to your proposed marriage.

Yes, we know, and those posting in this thread took it correctly, with the objection being a legal prior marriage.  It is required to get a marriage license in the Philippines.  The Philippine equivalent is the Certificate of No Marrage (CeNoMar) for Filipinos.

Edited by Majorsco

maccydee

Thanks for all the info. I've booked my appointment in Manila & my fiancé has booked flights all I gotta do now is book a hotel. I sent an email to the new UK consul In Cebu Tamsin Booth but after 3 days have not received a reply. Guess the office is not up & running yet as I'd much prefer not to travel to Manila now is their any other things I should know before I go mad lol