Any good way to ship a laptop to Cebu?

I've engaged a U of Cebu, 2nd  year elemental education teacher to teach me Cebuano and it's working ok, except that we cannot get consistent Skype ability, continued frozen cam, etc.  I'm not sure if some ICafe's have quality enough equipment and connections that she can find one that does or perhaps we'll just have to struggle through the poor connectivity.  Btw I pay her 100peso/hour, seems like a win/win to me.

It occurred to me that as long as she proves reliability (and all is good so far) that in a few months I'd like to send an old Acer Aspire which certainly can handle skype as long as Inet bandwidth is available.  It's getting long in the tooth so next year I probably won't have much use for it anyway..  Now this would go for between $100-150 on Ebay but I've heard so many horror stories like customs saying: "It's worth $xxxxx so that's 13,000 peso please.

There is no point in selling it on Ebay and giveng her $125 to buy another... that doesn't buy anything in RP. 

How about sticking it into a Bakbalayan box with some assorted stuff, it's slow but it just might get there.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Balikbayan boxes are pretty well guaranteed to get there. 

And, they are door-to-door. I have both sent, and received balikbayan boxes in the Philippines.

I would wrap it well, to prevent breakage of any kind. Place it more toward the middle of the box, if possible. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

The bb box would work fine.

Internet speed at a decent cafe should be better than most free WiFi she could hook up to or home hookup of 1-2 MB.

• Like 1

It is probably not the computer but the shared speed of the connection at the cafes. If you send a laptop then be prepared to pay for a good internet connection as well if it is your wish to have a good skype chat. I have found that yahoo chat seems to use less bandwidth and works better from cafes so has worked better for myself, family and friends when they wish to communicate with me via computer to computer. 

I forgot, the best way to bring a laptop over is to have someone bring it for you or to arrange to buy one from a member to give to her rather than pay for a bb box which cost around $100 and needs a bunch of stuff to fill it.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 2

The only advantage to shipping the laptop in would be knowing that it is configured the way you need it, or with a good selection of licensed software so you won't have to worry about that.

Otherwise, I agree with Lee. There are plenty of used laptops here.

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+category/id/196/q/acer/province/Cebu/Notebooks%2C+Laptops+and+Netbooks

See if a member in Cebu can help you stretch your dollars and get one of those.

• Like 1

Have Skype'd with several people in Cebu within a relatively short period of time. Definitely their end speed considerations. Never any problems with Camp 7 location, Cebu very spotty (not cafe).

Word of caution, wife took laptop on vacation, daughter packed luggage on top of soft sided bag with it in it. Cracked screen - large crack with green on either side. Didn't shatter and still works, even self-healed somewhat - only very small faint patch of green prevalent.

• Like 1