Sign in to follow this  
Woolf

Signal No. 1 up in 5 provinces as ‘Basyang’ nears PH

Woolf

More rain on the way

http://www.inquirer.net/philippine-typhoon-news/articles?nav=571617&chan=10

MANILA, Philippines — Five provinces were placed under Signal No. 1 as Tropical Depression “Basyang” moved closer to the Philippine area of responsibility Thursday afternoon.

In its 5 p.m. advisory, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration said that Basyang may make landfall Friday evening or early Saturday morning.

Placed under Signal No. 1 are Surigao del Norte including Siargao Island, Surigao del Sur, Dinagat Province, Misamis Oriental and Southern Leyte.

Pagasa said Basyang was last spotted 1,108 kilometers east of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur with maximum sustained winds of 55 kilometers per hour near the center. It was forecast to move west at 30 kph.

Residents living in areas under Signal No. 1were warned of possible flashfloods and landslides. Bong Lozada

RELATED STORIES

Moderate rains in Cebu as tropical depression Basyang enters PH today

LPA intensifies into tropical depression, may enter PAR Thursday

pagasa-track-basyang.jpg

spritsail

OMG, the blue spot is directly over Camiguin. Not a puff of wind here though,at the moment 1am Friday. Heard that CDO has gone to signal 1.

JamesMusslewhite

This just life here in Surigao during the rainy season, will be like this until mid March. :biggrin_01:

spritsail

I think I prefer the droughts that we had in 2008, 9 and 10 to this load of crap. Australia swelters with record high temperatures, typhoons developng over Solomons and PNG and the winds pushing the blighters here.

spritsail

Is basyang its official Philippine name or chinese.. I would prefer something more Wagnerian like Tristan or Matilda

cebubird

I get a "kick" out of their "signal" ratings-a "signal" 1 is not even a tropical storm

JamesMusslewhite

I get a "kick" out of their "signal" ratings-a "signal" 1 is not even a tropical storm

it may not have the intense driving winds but can still deliver a lot of rain and push a small tidal surge which in turn triggers floods, mudslides and brownouts in this area.

Paul

Then, let's hope and pray that is the most it becomes.

thebob

This is what the signals mean.

http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/genmet/psws.html

no one

siquijor pier is already shut down 

will go back in 1 hour to see if thy are going have any ships going out or not need to go to dumagete and tomorrow to mindanao but it dont look to good 

weather is still good here so there is hope 

Woolf

MEMORANDUM CIRCULAR NO. 01-09 GUIDELINES ON MOVEMENT OF VESSELS DURING HEAVY WEATHER

http://coastguard.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=38:circulars&id=89:memorandum-circular-no-01-09

-------

VI. POLICIES:
A. Vessels of 1,000 gross tons or below shall not sail, except to take shelter, when PSWS number 1 is hoisted within its point of origin or route or point of destination.
B. Movement of vessels above 1,000 gross tons is left to the discretion and responsibility of the ship owner and master when PSWS number 1 is hoisted within its point of origin or route or point of destination.
C. Vessels of any tonnage shall not sail, except to take shelter, when PSWS number 2 or higher is hoisted within its point of origin or route or point of destination.

--------

no one

as of now all trips from siquijor pie are canceled :(

JamesMusslewhite

siquijor pier is already shut down 

will go back in 1 hour to see if thy are going have any ships going out or not need to go to dumagete and tomorrow to mindanao but it dont look to good 

weather is still good here so there is hope 

odd are boats heading to Mindanao will be on hold till at least Tuesday, the Coast Guard has been very strict since the "Princess of the Stars" flipped in a typhoon. It is better to be late than fish food.

SkyMan

as of now all trips from siquijor pie are canceled :(

The witches cannot escape now.

Which is why it's listed as a TD for now. A significant amount of rain and flooding can be done by a TD though.