Sign in to follow this  
lamoe

Using your Smartphone when doing repairs

lamoe

So simple, yet only just starting taking pictures of things (washing machine water pump) as I disassemble them for reference when putting back together 

Finished - damn half of a toothpick jamming blades  - my fault - used one as a wedge and stuck other half in shirt pocket.

Saved 10,000 P repair bill - yep that much - 90 USD minimum service call and part lists for about - anyone think repair guy would have disassembled pump or just replaced it?

• Like 2

Steve

Been doing that for a few years. Especially when doing a drum brake job.

Thing about repair men, they've been doing certain jobs for years and probably have the diagrams/images burned in their head.

mexiwi

Use my phone like that all the time when I am working on aircraft. Especially on long jobs where it may be a few weeks before reassembly.

Also good for reading small numbers etc, take a pic and zoom in.

throttleplate

Use my phone like that all the time when I am working on aircraft. Especially on long jobs where it may be a few weeks before reassembly.

Also good for reading small numbers etc, take a pic and zoom in.

do you work for cebu air or zest?

Mikala

There are a surprising number of self-help videos on YouTube also. On top of that, there's a variety of information available on the internet that shows step-by-step instructions on how to disassemble / reassemble a lot of items.

I used the information from a website to disassemble my iPhone 4, replace the battery, screen and home button, then reassemble it again. Website advised it would take about 2 hours and it took me about 5 minutes longer. Worked perfect after that.

Note: taking apart an iPhone is not for the faint-hearted. I'm an electronics engineer and I used an iPhone repair kit that provided most of the tools needed for the job. I supplemented those tools with my own to succeed in the endeavor.

Edited by Mikala

mexiwi

do you work for cebu air or zest?

LOL - nope

I did an 8 month project in Malaysia last year where we were putting things back together 4-5 months after they were taken apart - most aircraft manuals are still line drawings only - the pics on my phone and the library of "before" pics on the office computers helped greatly.

I have had quite a few Filipino mechanics work for me and they are generally pretty good, unlike the malaysians who I honestly wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

• Like 1

lamoe

There are a surprising number of self-help videos on YouTube also. On top of that, there's a variety of information available on the internet that shows step-by-step instructions on how to disassemble / reassemble a lot of items.

I used the information from a website to disassemble my iPhone 4, replace the battery, screen and home button, then reassemble it again. Website advised it would take about 2 hours and it took me about 5 minutes longer. Worked perfect after that.

Note: taking apart an iPhone is not for the faint-hearted. I'm an electronics engineer and I used an iPhone repair kit that provided most of the tools needed for the job. I supplemented those tools with my own to succeed in the endeavor.

Same here, looked online code 21 Whirlpool - started with easy to get at sensor first and of course it was the pump

Did same with Acer tablet - they use a preparatory plug, close to an H but not exactly same barrel diameter. That's how I got toothpick in shirt pocket to start with. Used it to force negative ears of receptacle to contact standard plug.