Marine double-amputee’s treatment on Delta flight angers other vets

USMC-Retired

I just do not understand why he was not pre boarded. I get that with my kids. If your not pre boarded this is what happens...

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

There is a certain irony... members with the "screw the marine, what makes him so special, he was a stupid fecker for volunteering to serve his country" condescending horse-shit... Yet these same self-righteous little bitches will pour their anger out on threads here to whine how they were so mistreated because their fries are served too cold, food dishes did not come out in proper order, or the wait staff did not kiss their sorry asses. They demand that employees fired, businesses be boycotted into closer, and demand heads to roll; because they are far too special to have been treated so poorly... 

Some comments here just serve to remind the veterans from every nation that many of our own civilians are not worthy of that service and sacrifice, They remind all vets from all around the world that some that we served for are just nothing more than selfish over-opinionated waste of sperm cells.

1560699_222274654626697_530595005_n.jpg

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 3
thebob
There is a certain irony... members with the "screw the marine, what makes him so special, he was a stupid fecker for volunteering to serve his country" condescending horse-shit...

James I don't think anyone is saying "screw the marine", but it is very possible that this guy hadn't been out in public much since his horrific injuries. Psychologically I'm sure he was a mess, add to that his fever, and he could have had any kind of reaction.

I can't really see much in the report that Delta did wrong. Transferring him to First class might be possible but not during taxiing. Then there is the situation seat configuration etc.

I'm sure it isn't easy to use a wheelchair inside a plane, and bumping into seats is just going to happen.

How this can be seen as an example of disrespect to vets is beyond me.

Edited by thebob
  • Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

James I don't think anyone is saying "screw the marine", but it is very possible that this guy hadn't been out in public much since his horrific injuries. Psychologically I'm sure he was a mess, add to that his fever, and he could have had any kind of reaction.

I can't really see much in the report that Delta did wrong. Transferring him to First class might be possible but not during taxiing. Then there is the situation seat configuration etc.

I'm sure it isn't easy to use a wheelchair inside a plane, and bumping into seats is just going to happen.

How this can be seen as an example of disrespect to vets is beyond me.

Perhaps it was those that actually witnessed the event who were incensed by what they personally witnessed to complain about his treatment themselves?

They also had merely only closed the cabin door and were not yet taxing the plane.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1
Canuck Joe

I just do not understand why he was not pre boarded. I get that with my kids. If your not pre boarded this is what happens... Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk

Very true but maybe he was late. The article is just an opinion piece designed to stir up emotion...mission accomplished lol.

firstly i do have a lot of respect for the armed services, But have to agree with some on here that can not see how he was mistreated.

My mates x wife, had crumbling hips, and could not walk far, so needed wheel chair assistance,

when he tried to book a bulkhead seat by one of the exit doors so she would have more leg room, he was told, there was no way that would be allowed,

reason given.                   because she was not 100% mobile she would hinder the other passengers escape from the plane in an emergency.  so she was wheelchaired to the back of the plane,

granted she was one of the first to board the plane allong with parents with kids in pushchairs,

I might add, dont bother looking online for an article about this, there wont be one, she was just an ordinary passenger.

• Like 1
Majorsco

firstly i do have a lot of respect for the armed services, But have to agree with some on here that can not see how he was mistreated.

My mates x wife, had crumbling hips, and could not walk far, so needed wheel chair assistance,

when he tried to book a bulkhead seat by one of the exit doors so she would have more leg room, he was told, there was no way that would be allowed,

reason given. because she was not 100% mobile she would hinder the other passengers escape from the plane in an emergency. so she was wheelchaired to the back of the plane,

granted she was one of the first to board the plane allong with parents with kids in pushchairs,

I might add, dont bother looking online for an article about this, there wont be one, she was just an ordinary passenger.

That should not happen with a bulkhead row unless it was also an emergency exit row. No one with any physical or language limitation can be seated in exit row.

I have seen bulkhead rows that have a basinet table restricted to mothers with infants, however. Not all bulkhead rows are also set up with basinet features.

I am not American and certainly not ex-military but this is plain wrong. Someone who has served his country AND lost his legs doing that deserves better treatment than this. It may not mean much to us, judging from some of the comments here, but it certainly means SOMETHING to this marine. Is this what he thought he was defending his country for?

There were other people on the flight who were willing to give up their seats for him and is not difficult to move him from the wheelchair onto a seat but the flightcrew decided that couldn't happen because they will be late?

Sure, the flightcrew didn't know his life story but they could have made an exception as he is clearly disabled. A few minutes wouldn't make much of a difference and I'm sure none of the passengers would've minded.

• Like 2

I am not American and certainly not ex-military but this is plain wrong. Someone who has served his country AND lost his legs doing that deserves better treatment than this. It may not mean much to us, judging from some of the comments here, but it certainly means SOMETHING to this marine. Is this what he thought he was defending his country for?

There were other people on the flight who were willing to give up their seats for him and is not difficult to move him from the wheelchair onto a seat but the flightcrew decided that couldn't happen because they will be late?

Sure, the flightcrew didn't know his life story but they could have made an exception as he is clearly disabled. A few minutes wouldn't make much of a difference and I'm sure none of the passengers would've minded.

perhaps they would not have minded at the time, but had he been in way in the off chance of an emergency evacuation of the plane, they would have walked all over him trying to get out,

In these sort of situations, being an invalid means you are expendable when it comes to others who are not, being an ex serviceman holds no bearing on the matter, there are millions of dissabled people in the world, it would have been no different for them,

perhaps he thought they should have laid on a private jet for him

Majorsco

perhaps they would not have minded at the time, but had he been in way in the off chance of an emergency evacuation of the plane, they would have walked all over him trying to get out,

In these sort of situations, being an invalid means you are expendable when it comes to others who are not, being an ex serviceman holds no bearing on the matter, there are millions of dissabled people in the world, it would have been no different for them,

perhaps he thought they should have laid on a private jet for him

That isn't the treatment other disabled people get. Normally they're pre boarded and given all kinds of help. They normally can sit pretty much in any part of the plane except exit rows. I've seen people brought in on this'd narrow airplane wheelchairs, and if done slowly and gently it is done with little or no bumping or jostling. He did not have to be in the back tow because if his disabilities.

He could easily have been moved to first class if the flight crew wasn't in so much if a hurry to depart vs handle this handicap person respectfully.

• Like 2

During the Viet Nam war, when they still had military standby fares as a concession to the low pay servicemen got at that time, I was on a Delta flight. It was a meal flight and two flight attendants were arguing loudly in the aisle. The subject? Whether or not they had to serve meals to the military standby passengers. Haven't flown Delta since. 

Back when I was flying home from LAX on Stand By, a lot of people were doing that - not just Viet Nam Vets - how would the Flight Attendants know who was Military and who was civilian, if you weren't wearing a uniform?

But my story - I was being separated from the Marine Corps in May 1969 - I got transportation to LAX checked in at the Airline Counter - I think it was Western Airlines at the time - the Ticket Agent seemed confident that there would be extra seats on the plane - the Plane was schedule to take off in maybe 4-5 hours and every minute it seemed that the the waiting area filled with more and more people - I went to the Ticket counter about three times to check if there would still be Stand By Tickets - on my fourth trip to the Ticket Counter the clerk grabbed my ticket and gave me a regular ticket and a seat assignment and told me to stop bugging him - I spent the next hour or so in the Bar and had a very enjoyable flight back to Minneapolis - I think I was served a meal too

:)

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Whatever happened, if it was inappropriate, I'm more inclined to blame the crew members involved. It's not likely that Delta would condone disrespectful treatment of any passenger. Even if the crew was following established procedures, there is never any excuse to make a fellow human-being feel shame or ridicule, regardless of the situation.

I hope this doesn't sound like some Delta commercial. I have mixed feelings about Delta's involvement in this because of a recent video (attached below) I posted in another topic. I've also seen many similar stories on TV and in print about Delta. Specifically their favorable treatment of service members both alive and deceased. It's hard to believe that a company who went to such great lengths to honor our fallen service members, would consciously treat a disabled veteran in a disrespectful manner.

I flew often with Delta while in the military and on more than one occasion they moved me into an empty first class seat, regardless of my ticket status. I've even had them offer me food and free drinks from first class even though I was seated in the economy class. Was this a Delta policy. Probably not, but some caring crew member choose to do this on their own.

Published on Jul 7, 2013
Something most people do not see, as it happens behind the scenes. Delta honors our Fallen as they come home with their own Honor Guard, as the Fallen Warrior is transferred from the plane. 
The Delta Honor Guard was created May 30, 2006 by volunteers who noticed the attention to detail paid by the Honor Guard. This is not some half-measure, but something that is given the highest level of attention and devotion.

God bless our fallen soldiers, and thank you, Delta Airlines, for what you do to honor them.

Those of you who are somewhat anti-American or anti-military might want to mute the music as it's very patriotic. 

http://youtu.be/FEkHgIpZyRQ

• Like 5

Travel Assistance

Started by timJan 17 2014 06:21 PM

from DAV magazine Jan/Feb 201 

I posted this article which has  program information to assist disable Vets when traveling by  airlines in the USA. Great information to share if anyone knows of any (disable Vets) needing help with future travel plans...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The attitude of the Flight Crew all depends on the personality of the Captain and the Head Flight Attendant. My ex was a Flight Attendant for years and used to tell me horror stories about her experiences dealing with fellow co-workers and the general public. I was in the military for over 20 years and have flown Delta many many times and never had a bad experience but I do not doubt the story is true. Anyone, that spends their hard earned money to buy plane tickets deserved to be treated with common decency and respect regardless if they are in the military or not.