Why Bisaya more difficult than Tagalog?

I've heard and read several times that Bisaya is a considerably more complex language than Tagalog, and that therefore Bisaya is more difficult to learn for the foreigner.  Is this true, and if so, in what ways is Bisaya more complex than Tagalog?

No way Bisaya is a more sensible language IMHO.  I did a course of Tagalog at University many years ago and then a few years back learnt Cebuano from a language teacher and found it to be easier to learn in my experience.  The reduplication in Tagalog is too much for my brain and tongue.   I have through lack of use and aging forgotten most of what I have learnt.   Maybe an issue is the language is really not as structually written as Tagalog is and therefore does not have the same formal aspects.   O and U, I and E are interchangeable even Visayas don't know the correct spelling if there is one and it varies from island to island.  Language is a living communication learn the language people are using where you live is my advice. 

I found structurally Cebuano far more easier to learn than Tagalog.  Past and future more obvious and no reduplicating part of the verb to suggest future tense like in Tagalog.   Both have more emphasis on the passive than the English which is why they are not as direct as Engish language speakers. 

• Like 1
SkyMan

One might say Visayan  is more complex because it's not formalized and therefore there are a lot of variations.  Also, there's a lot of Spanish mixed in (mostly nouns so you can learn the commonly used Spanish words or the true Visayan words.  I would say the main difficulty in learning Visayan is finding a decent teacher, one who can actually explain why things are said the way they are.  They need to have actually studied their language and have a very good grasp of English.

• Like 3
Jess Bartone

To my ears, Tagalog sounds like a machine gun, whilst Bisaya sounds like a mellifluous love song.

Thus it is very easy to learn a few valuable words and phrases for day-to-day life, and upon that base, greater understanding grows and vocabulary increases. Sometimes I surprise myself when the correct word or phrase pops out almost instinctively, and listening intuitively can be very rewarding.

Tagalog on the other hand leaves me completely baffled.

• Like 3