Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Will we see 50 to $1 again? Or, an optimistic 55 to $1?

ed villas

well I want to be a new car this year so I sure will love to see 50 to the dollar .... like getting a big discount

it would be VERY SLIGHT (rare) for this to occur withing the next 12months. PERIOD

the side effect of a 50 rate(or you getting a new car) would be,,

1. higher prices . 2 higher electric  /power rates

(what do i mean?) its the "?"currency adjustment" feature that the power/water/telephone has listed in the bill

smokey

it would be VERY SLIGHT (rare) for this to occur withing the next 12months. PERIOD

(what do i mean?) its the "?"currency adjustment" feature that the power/water/telephone has listed in the bill

already paying higher rates for everything when the peso is at 40 with no happy ending .. so let it be 50

• Like 1

Headed that way

Bank in  Dau today paying 45 pesos to the dollar.  Manila airport was paying 44.6 on Wednesday night

ed villas

already paying higher rates for everything when the peso is at 40 with no happy ending .. so let it be 50

seems that prices are always rising..

example. coke in can 2002 was 11.5 ..2014 now 20p    ,,

babypowder 500g 2002 was 47-49p ..2014 now 120p..

macdo meal -big mac 2005 78p ....     2014  now153p

thats just a few items that have increased in cost

as the dollar/yen/pound/euro has dropped in the past few yrs

Edited by ed villas
  • Like 1

Jack_be_nimble

Currency adjustment?  Guess the best solution is to consume less.

smokey

or hope its 20 to the dollar so our electric rates will be in line with the west

ed villas

presume that you dont live here or have any bills to pay .

here is some info on

currency adjustment: .

The actual name is ,,,,,,Foreign Currency Differential Adjustment (FCDA)

maybe this can help you and others to understand the side effects of a too STRONG other currency 

or TOO rapid loss of peso value

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/46970/economy/companies/pldt-to-cut-foreign-currency-adjustment-rate-by-11

Phone firms are required to inform the NTC to submit a monthly update on currency adjustment. As a rule of thumb, for every 10-centavo adjustment in the exchange rate translates to one-percent increase or decrease in the company’s rate base

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2013/06/18/955205/water-firms-adjust-rates

West Zone concessionaire Maynilad Water Services Inc. announced yesterday an increase of 17 centavos per cubic meter in its rates beginning July 3 due to the weakening of the peso against other foreign currencies, particularly the US dollar.

The adjustment will reflect in August billings. From the average P46.56 per cubic meter, the rate will increase to P46.73.

Under its concession agreement with the government through the Metropolitan Waterworks Sewerage System (MWSS), Maynilad must pass on to customers its foreign exchange gains or losses arising from the payment of its foreign currency-denominated loans as well as concession fees to the government.

• Like 1

smokey

presume that you dont live here or have any bills to pay .

here is some info on

currency adjustment: .

The actual name is ,,,,,,Foreign Currency Differential Adjustment (FCDA)

maybe this can help you and others to understand the side effects of a too STRONG other currency 

or TOO rapid loss of peso value

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/46970/economy/companies/pldt-to-cut-foreign-currency-adjustment-rate-by-11

Phone firms are required to inform the NTC to submit a monthly update on currency adjustment. As a rule of thumb, for every 10-centavo adjustment in the exchange rate translates to one-percent increase or decrease in the company’s rate base

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2013/06/18/955205/water-firms-adjust-rates

West Zone concessionaire Maynilad Water Services Inc. announced yesterday an increase of 17 centavos per cubic meter in its rates beginning July 3 due to the weakening of the peso against other foreign currencies, particularly the US dollar.

The adjustment will reflect in August billings. From the average P46.56 per cubic meter, the rate will increase to P46.73.

Under its concession agreement with the government through the Metropolitan Waterworks Sewerage System (MWSS), Maynilad must pass on to customers its foreign exchange gains or losses arising from the payment of its foreign currency-denominated loans as well as concession fees to the government.

all I know is the amount my electric bill goes to when the rate goes from 40 to 1 to 50 to 1 is nothing compared to how many more peso I get per month.... if I wanted cheap electric and water I sure would not pick the Philippines to live in

• Like 1

spooks

Dollar Bulls are alrady in position, when tapering ends the dollar will already be on the up any increase in interest rates in 2015 will so modest they may be regarded as cosmetic but enough to underpin dollar gains

GBP to be 80:1 by year end on the back of Dollar increases as well as improving fundamentals in the UK. if the AAA is restored this year then 80:1 is a given.

then again.................

Brucewayne

I'm impressed. I didn't think we would see this for some time yet. 

There was a very short time in the Philippines, where it went over 56. One time, only, though. Where are we headed now?

So, what say ye, 50 or 55 in our futures again?

It should have been .50-$1 this month, but the Chinese economy has caused the PHP to rise a bit against most currencies and the most damaging to our dollar is the Damned Russians causing a lot of instabilities in their neighborhood.

Those problems are compounded by the Euro already being plagued with problems and now the Russians are causing uncertainty by possibly causing a war to erupt, or at the very least sanctions which can cause civil unrest, which in turn can cause another international downturn.

On the upside, the USD should regain and surpass it's former glory before the end of the year.

Too many instabilities send shock waves throughout the world and it scares investors, who move and/or hide their money, which is completely understandable, but so many of them are "Chicken Littles" and quiver at every sound.

That causes economies to falter and even nearly fail.

Look at the stock markets and you will see large gains, followed by large drops every time the news changes from good to bad or vice versa.

Edited by Brucewayne

billy

It should have been .50-$1 this month, but the Chinese economy has caused the PHP to rise a bit against most currencies and the most damaging to our dollar is the Damned Russians causing a lot of instabilities in their neighborhood.

Those problems are compounded by the Euro already being plagued with problems and now the Russians are causing uncertainty by possibly causing a war to erupt, or at the very least sanctions which can cause civil unrest, which in turn can cause another international downturn.

On the upside, the USD should regain and surpass it's former glory before the end of the year.

Too many instabilities send shock waves throughout the world and it scares investors, who move and/or hide their money, which is completely understandable, but so many of them are "Chicken Littles" and quiver at every sound.

That causes economies to falter and even nearly fail.

Look at the stock markets and you will see large gains, followed by large drops every time the news changes from good to bad or vice versa.

i would be shocked to see it go to 50-1 the economy here is not that week, i'm not saying for the poor things are much better but for the rich there great. the goverment has more money... 

smokey

i would be shocked to see it go to 50-1 the economy here is not that week, i'm not saying for the poor things are much better but for the rich there great. the goverment has more money... 

yes your correct I did see foreign borrowing was up like 15% I mean really if a company or country is doing great why are they borrowing for everyone and most of the loans will say no payments or interest till 2016 or 2020

Edited by smokey

fury

Another "expert's" forecast for the USD/PHP exchange rate:  

Quoted from Business World, Monday May 31, page S2.

Peso likely to stay steady ahead of US jobs report

"...In a note to clients sent late Thursday, Barclays said that central bank tightening would support the peso, although the British bank pointed out that the monetary authority would likely let market forces dictate the peso’s direction.  'In our opinion, the increased hawkishness of the central bank and the start of the policy tightening with the [reserve requirement ratio] hike is positive for BSP’s credibility and the peso. However, we think BSP’s tolerance of appreciation is limited, and its preference is for the peso to move broadly in line with regional currencies,' Barclays said.  'Our 1-month USD/PHP forecast is 44.50 and our 3-month forecast of 44. Longer term, we believe that reform as a catalyst for peso strength is fading, amid a strong dollar environment, and we maintain our keeping our 6- and 12-month forecasts at 44,' the bank added."

Brucewayne

Another "expert's" forecast for the USD/PHP exchange rate:  

Quoted from Business World, Monday May 31, page S2.

Peso likely to stay steady ahead of US jobs report

"...In a note to clients sent late Thursday, Barclays said that central bank tightening would support the peso, although the British bank pointed out that the monetary authority would likely let market forces dictate the peso’s direction.  'In our opinion, the increased hawkishness of the central bank and the start of the policy tightening with the [reserve requirement ratio] hike is positive for BSP’s credibility and the peso. However, we think BSP’s tolerance of appreciation is limited, and its preference is for the peso to move broadly in line with regional currencies,' Barclays said.  'Our 1-month USD/PHP forecast is 44.50 and our 3-month forecast of 44. Longer term, we believe that reform as a catalyst for peso strength is fading, amid a strong dollar environment, and we maintain our keeping our 6- and 12-month forecasts at 44,' the bank added."

Sorry, but that is probably dated information and we are climbing toward 46 even now.

Give it a couple of weeks and hopefully the dollar will rise a bit each month.

If we could cap the problems in China, Russia and Europe, we would probably already be at or near P50-$1.

Investors forget quickly and are already infusing more money into the markets.

spooks

The Euro has climbed steadily and its problem is that it is now too highly valued, why?

P

I

G

S

portugal, greece and Ireland appear to have hit the bottom of their curves without a 'dead cat bounce'

Spain appears to be in similar position and that is with youth unemployment at about 25%

Italy lurches from one politician to the next, then again it has done so every year since end of WW2 

I suspect Europe is regarded as have already hit rock bottom and that market forces are upwards otherwise the Euro would already have depreciated against the dollar.

Dollar value will be determined by the Fed at this time. jitters over tapering and real interest 

Edited by spooks