Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Will we see 50 to $1 again? Or, an optimistic 55 to $1?

contraman

I was hoping to make a killing on the exchange rate.

Oh well, back to Bitcoin I guess :)

• Like 2

throttleplate

if it hits 50-1 watch out for the influx of american newbies lookin for paradise.

tim

if it hits 50-1 watch out for the influx of american newbies lookin for paradise.

Hopefully Ya'll will see more of my fat As.. there @ 50 -1...

Headshot

How about if it hits 4:1 like it was the first time I came to the Philippines in 1968? Of course, back then a peso was worth a lot more in goods and services, so we were still getting a good deal. If the dollar drops against the peso today, we just lose purchasing power.

smokey

How about if it hits 4:1 like it was the first time I came to the Philippines in 1968? Of course, back then a peso was worth a lot more in goods and services, so we were still getting a good deal. If the dollar drops against the peso today, we just lose purchasing power.

oh the I work inflation my dad used to tell me over and over and over how he could of bought a piece of property in LA for 60,000 dollars in 1944 that is worth million easy in 2000 ... numbers went up but that is about it..

Ozepete

oh the I work inflation my dad used to tell me over and over and over how he could of bought a piece of property in LA for 60,000 dollars in 1944 that is worth million easy in 2000 ... numbers went up but that is about it..

But I guess what you're saying is that finding 60,000 in 1944 was just as hard as finding a million in 2000. 

Back in 1965 I enquired about a 4.5 acre block on the highway on the edge of the town. Met the agent there and being a young bloke off the land I knew the 'price per acre' but when he said it was $19,500 I said "you must think I'm a ferking idiot" and stormed off. (Farm land was going for about 1200 per acre then)

Many years later my comment was proved correct when it resold to a commercial developer for 355K.. And that bloody agent keeps reminding me!

Things don't really change much although with the US and Brit economies improving considerably, their currencies should rise against the peso but I doubt the greenback will hit 50 but close.

Skywalker

I did predict the £ to be at about 78 - 80 pesos by April.  It would appear that was overly optimistic, as it looks to have stalled at just under 75.

All things considered it wasn't a bad guess.  The Russia/Ukraine issue has caused uncertainty in the markets, with confidence levels adjusted accordingly.  But, I still think the £ has some more strength.  I don't, however, think it will be worth $4000 by the end of the year!

smokey

well I want to be a new car this year so I sure will love to see 50 to the dollar .... like getting a big discount

• Like 1

Steve and Myrlita

Unfortunately, it will never happen at least while NoyNoy is President. I can't for the life of me remember where I read it but NoyNoy gave orders to the BSP to intervene as necessary to keep the Peso between 40-45. If over 45, Foreigners getting too many pesos for $. Under 40 and lose remittances from the OFW's. God Bless......

• Like 1

smokey

Unfortunately, it will never happen at least while NoyNoy is President. I can't for the life of me remember where I read it but NoyNoy gave orders to the BSP to intervene as necessary to keep the Peso between 40-45. If over 45, Foreigners getting too many pesos for $. Under 40 and lose remittances from the OFW's. God Bless......

well I wonder if that can be achieved by borrowing money in one currency and then flooding your own market with it

Lee

Peso is now above 45 to 1 us dollar.

cebubird

I remember reading that they wouldn't let it dip much under 40.

smokey

I guess if your a small player on the field you can control this better I think it allowed or pushed to 40 so the borrow floodgates can open then allowed to 45 to dollar at payback time

musicman666

Unfortunately, it will never happen at least while NoyNoy is President. I can't for the life of me remember where I read it but NoyNoy gave orders to the BSP to intervene as necessary to keep the Peso between 40-45. ..

Good to know this if your a speculator ....I hope the Philippines has deep pockets to see that one through.

GoHuk

I remember reading that they wouldn't let it dip much under 40.

You're correct.  the BSP intended a strategy of 'buying Dollars internally' to prevent the exchange rate going below 40.  However before they (the BSP) could implement this strategy there was a U-turn in that they are now fighting to prevent the Dollar rising above 45.  When the US economy is finally on track I don't think the PH has 'deep enough pockets' to prevent the exchange rate going to 50.