Sign in to follow this  
riklynbor

shipping by sea from China to Philippines

riklynbor

I purchased a concrete vibrator from china and they want to ship it by sea.

Has anybody done this before or know how long this may take?

It has not been shipped yet so can still change the way it is shipped.

Thanks in advance

post-14249-0-97203100-1390106247_thumb.jpg

Jerome

Hello riklynbor,

Shipping by sea into the Philippines can take on many forms. The most common for ordinary folks like you and me is the balikbayan box, which is essentially cargo consolidation. An agent outside of the Philippines will collect parcels and place them in a sea container. This container leaves the port and enters the Philippines, clears Philippine Customs using the PH counterpart's broker, and gets delivered to you by truck.  This takes a few weeks, depending on the source country. This service is available just about anyplace in the world where there's a concentration of Filipino people. Balikbayan boxes containing household items in this manner most likely will require no duty or tax payment from you.

Another common way to get things to the Philippines is using the post office. If your seller in China is using their local post office, then Philpost will clear and deliver the parcel on this side. You will work with a Philippine Customs employee to finalize payment of duties and taxes, if any. (This is a common surprise for people in PH. All imported goods are subject to tax.)

The only other method I can imagine is that they will work with a sea freight forwarder and ship the parcel to you individually. If this is the case, you need to ask if they're shipping to your door or to the port and who will be responsible for clearing the item. Otherwise you may find yourself with port fees, storage fees, and duties and taxes to boot. This is not a common method, but it's worth asking your seller just what method they'll use and for the contact info if it's not the post office.

Happy to answer any questions you have beyond this or provide clarifications.

EDIT: I just read another post and I see you're familiar with the balikbayan box. Maybe you're asking specifically about shipping from China to PH, something I've personally never tried. Still, in your position, I'd ask them who their carrier is and inquire with their counterpart on this side. Best to know this before the item leaves China.

Jerome

Edited by Jerome
  • Like 1

riklynbor

I jusy received an email I would have to collect it myself at a port but this is not possible.

I have the option to cancel the order and may have to do that.

At $198 inc shipping it was a good deal for me if dropped at my door.

If I need to send somebody to a port and pay the fees it is not worth it.

Why don't couriers like fedex for example also offer cheaper sea freight but still drop of at home?

David_LivinginTalisay

When I left Hong Kong to come live here in Cebu, I shipped some items by Cathy Pacific air-freight, and we got a discount. as we were flying Cathay Pacific to Cebu from Hong Kong.  It did involve going back to freight section of MIA and getting Customs Clearance.

I also shipped some bigger items like Television, Microwave etc by sea freight and used APL but there was high charges not originally quoted for getting the custom clearance.   In the end we used another Broker to clear my personal effects (that was about 1/3 the cost of what APL seemed to be demanding. There was still an admin fee to APL, to have the other broker take over, but was still more than 50% cheaper.

If I had been informed about these additional charges, up front, I would have had 2nd thoughts on shipping them or added them to the items sent via air freight with that discount for being passengers on same airline.

How much does that concrete vibrator weigh, it does not seem that big?  

post-14249-0-97203100-1390106247_thumb.j

It is basically 2 items i) Electric Motor, ii) vibrating hose.

The weight of the Electric motor will be dependent on Power, typically perhaps 16Kg for 1kW to 22Kg for 1.5kW?

The matching vibrating hose, perhaps 12kg to as much as 22kg (depending on length etc).

A gasoline Engine version is on sulit.com.ph for Php12,000

Description

CIM Samurai Concrete Vibrator 
BRAND NEW 
complete with Vibrator Hose 32mm or 38mm x 6meters
Engine - Gasoline engine 6.5 HP.
GOOD QUALITY WITH warranty
6 months warranty against factory defect on engine
1 year free service warranty.

NET PRICE P 12,000.00 includes 6 months warranty against factory defect on engine
Call Princess 8432899
William 09228146263

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
  • Like 1

riklynbor

Thanks for the info.

Sorry for the late reply we moved house and have had no internet till just now.

I cancelled the order from China and was thinking of sending one from oz in a BBB.

I don't realy want a petrol powered vibrator as in my experience the petrol motors in Philippines are not very good.

Had some problems with cheap chineese copies.

I would still need it shipped to Maasin. Not sure of the cost of that.

Regards Rik

Bill H

All in all I think you are better off using a broker who will deal with customs for you.  Customs here is notorious for robbing you blind.  If you use a broker, he knows the people and maybe you won't get raped quite so bad.  In any case, bringing things into this country is always a challenge unless you use the BB, that is the one method I've found that is almost fool proof and cost effective.

• Like 1

Bill H

I'm curious Tinbum, what is your business?

Bill H

Bill H,

I wont elaborate more as will be off topic and get me in trouble with the boss, but here you go  http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/64300-reliable-trades-peoples-for-your-repair-renovation-and-remodeling-needs/

Oh NO don't want to irritate the ones above.  Your shipping experience was interesting to me.  I looked into bringing some marine materials here for my boat building, but the blocks and taxes not to mention the hand out attitude of customs dissuaded me.  Maybe I will look at it again after reading your experience.

Tinbum

May i suggest a course of action.

First off

Make an appointment with Embrado and go have a chat with them. Tell them what you want to do, the value, where its coming from etc. Based on this they will be able to advise you of a course of action, either give up....or yes we can do it this way. They should be able to give you a ballpark figure for duties and taxes there and then. Best of all is it will be FREE!!!! Just give up some time. This advice would work for ALL importations.

Then..based on what they say, proceed.

They really are helpful, willing to see around corners and very transparent, traits that are not too common here!!

If i can be of help, just PM me.