The Star Spangled Banner

American patriotic exuberism often crosses the line into jingoism. I think historically it comes from not having any powerful neighbours.

I rather think it was initiated during the late 19th and 20th century - watch Yankee Doodle Dandy - there's a segment where they talk about waving the American Flag if you wanted applause no matter how bad your act.

These were people who came here looking for a dream  and many of them found it. The realization of this dream instilled in them a deep love of this country. Like the religious person who feels sorrow for the atheist, I feel pity for someone who doesn't understand our love of country and can't feel the same for their own.

You seem to have a disdain for American patriotic exuberance, please remember that as part and parcel of that exuberance is an attitude that has kept the asses of  millions of non-Americans free, at the cost of the lives of millions of our men and women,  and allowed then to devote a substantially smaller portion of their GDP to defense since they don't have to worry, those silly Americans will be there to bail us out AGAIN. (Japan, Germany, and Canada come readily to mind)

SIPRI military expenditure database
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 682,478,000,000 4.4% 2012
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan 59,267,000,000 1.0%

23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 45,785,000,000 1.4% 2012
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada 22,600,000,000 1.3% 2012
  • Like 3
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Majorsco

• thebob

• Baywak

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From a Marine Corps Colonel in Afghanistan: "So with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting event: s

i didn't like it when the dixie chicks complained their freedom of speech was being violated cause people didn't want to play their records and were telling others not to buy them.. they (the dixie ch

I'm not sure what SABA means, but I'm entitled to my opinion, and you are entitled to ignore it if you please.

Posted Images

thebob

You seem to have a disdain for American patriotic exuberance, please remember that as part and parcel of that exuberance is an attitude that has kept the asses of  millions of non-Americans free, at the cost of the lives of millions of our men and women,  and allowed then to devote a substantially smaller portion of their GDP to defense since they don't have to worry, those silly Americans will be there to bail us out AGAIN. (Japan, Germany, and Canada come readily to mind) SIPRI military expenditure database

I don't want to get into a discussion about American perceptions of "freedom". But being the third most populous nation on the earth, with a population density of only 35/Km2 and a huge amount of natural resources, confers an advantage that most others can't compete with.

I believe that most countries have reasons to be proud, but some feel the need to shout about it more than others.

Mr. Mike

I don't want to get into a discussion about American perceptions of "freedom". But being the third most populous nation on the earth, with a population density of only 35/Km2 and a huge amount of natural resources, confers an advantage that most others can't compete with.

I believe that most countries have reasons to be proud, but some feel the need to shout about it more than others.

Honestly, I don't believe the average american means any harm or disrespect to any other nations when they display patriotism. Be it the big ass flag pole, (with flag) in my front yard, the national anthem, fly-overs at sporting events, veteran funerals with the stars and stripes (or SEAL tridents imbedded) upon the coffin.

Frankly, I have to agree with Iamoe, you have issues with USA patriotism....because you do not understand it!

....yet, I would think you should!

Majorsco

Honestly, I don't believe the average american means any harm or disrespect to any other nations when they display patriotism. Be it the big ass flag pole, (with flag) in my front yard, the national anthem, fly-overs at sporting events, veteran funerals with the stars and stripes (or SEAL tridents imbedded) upon the coffin.

Frankly, I have to agree with Iamoe, you have issues with USA patriotism....because you do not understand it!

....yet, I would think you should!

Yes, people are not disrespecting other countries. When Canadians show the maple leaf, they are not disrespecting other countries either. It's the same, just showing national pride and patriotism.

• Like 1

I have read thebobs posts for some years now-I without a doubt consider him to be patriotic.Its the dudes that scream out lefty,leftist etc because they know not how to communicate and are actually the non patriots of the USA.

• Like 1
Mr. Mike

I have read thebobs posts for some years now-I without a doubt consider him to be patriotic.Its the dudes that scream out lefty,leftist etc because they know not how to communicate and are actually the non patriots of the USA.

Explain please.

I  have no qualms with anyone's else's degree of patriotism or lack there of, but I do not understand why some feel they have to degrade or ridicule mine

• Like 2
Majorsco

It is the political left complaining about not displaying the flag too much, not singing the anthem, doing the pledge of allegiance and a whole host of other patriotic actions and displays out of fear that it might offend non Americans.

Your allegation that those pointing this out are not patriotic is the opposite of the truth.

• Like 2

Other then here on LINC,I have never heard anyone ever say what you just wrote.It became fashionable under GWB to just put out BS enough and hope the dummies will take it and run with it.

It is the political left complaining about not displaying the flag too much, not singing the anthem, doing the pledge of allegiance and a whole host of other patriotic actions and displays out of fear that it might offend non Americans.

Your allegation that those pointing this out are not patriotic is the opposite of the truth.

I don't believe I said they were not patriotic - my contention is that "to each his own" - the degree is up to the individual but to not take any pride in your country is totally beyond my understanding.

Other then here on LINC,I have never heard anyone ever say what you just wrote.It became fashionable under GWB to just put out BS enough and hope the dummies will take it and run with it.

Explain please?

My interpretation has been "I was born here so what?" If I'm wrong then I do apologize for misunderstanding what was written. When was the last time you saw a Lib apologize for anything?

Edited by lamoe
Mr. Mike

..are you talking about Bush .....again? ........        Grow up!

• Like 1

Mike be kind, you have to understand their messiah has been proven to be a liar and they don't know how to accept the truth.

• Like 1
Majorsco

I don't believe I said they were not patriotic - my contention is that "to each his own" - the degree is up to the individual but to not take any pride in your country is totally beyond my understanding.

I agree with you. Its those that say someone's patriotic display within their own country is offending foreigners and thus should curtail it or reduce it are those I'm citing.

Foreigners are free to experience the culture and learn about the people and what makes them patriotic, or not.

A country can welcome foreigners without changing who they are to do it. The foreigners, if they don't like the patriotism displayed in the country they are visiting or immigrating to are obviously in the wrong place. That is true of foreigners in America or expats in the Philippines.

They are free to still be patriotic to their original country, but they should not expect or demand their adopted country to change to suit them.

In America the left aka, the PC police are acting like the agents of foreigners who don't like American patriotism. I believe their actions are misplaced.

Yes we should never talk about you know who when most are trying to forget him.

I had German workers living here - took them to a 4th of July concert on the green - National Anthem - they stayed on grass - told then to get up - they didn't understand - told them people around us would be upset - VERY interesting discussion about national pride over a few - well many - beers later on. 

Like I said - it's impossible to really understand what another person feels - know it? yes - understand it? no

• Like 1