The Star Spangled Banner

The song is fine however presented....I just can't stand the dickweeds that won't remove thier hats! Simple respect.

• Like 1
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Majorsco

• thebob

• Baywak

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From a Marine Corps Colonel in Afghanistan: "So with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting event: s

i didn't like it when the dixie chicks complained their freedom of speech was being violated cause people didn't want to play their records and were telling others not to buy them.. they (the dixie ch

I'm not sure what SABA means, but I'm entitled to my opinion, and you are entitled to ignore it if you please.

Posted Images

JamesMusslewhite

The song is fine however presented....I just can't stand the dickweeds that won't remove thier hats! Simple respect.

Bum Phillips when coaching in Houston never wore his signature white cowboy hat when at home games. When asked why not, he replied that his parents had taught him that it was impolite to ware a hat indoors.

• Like 2
Canuck Joe

country worship is dumb, wish humans would evolve

• Like 2
thebob

Silly question, when will Great Britain actually sit down and write a real National Anthem?

Take your pick.

I'm not an American, but Francis Scott Key wrote words, not a tune. There isn't a "proper" way to sing it. Jimi Hendrix, did it one way, others have done it other ways.

Respectfully, when the guy says, "Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility that tells the audience that it is about America, not you." I think he is forgetting the line that expresses "The land of the free."

I'm always a little wary of people who describe "their" views as "we". When the guy gets invited to sing his national anthem in public, he can sing it in any way he wants.

The variety reflects the nation, not a constrained ideal, that is impervious to interpretation.

The song itself, with a range of one and a half octaves is notoriously difficult to sing. Let's let musicians do their thing, and warriors do theirs.

Your first sentence says it all....and because you are not   SABA

thebob

Your first sentence says it all....and because you are not   SABA

I'm not sure what SABA means, but I'm entitled to my opinion, and you are entitled to ignore it if you please.

• Like 4
AlooGobi

“Mockingbirds are the true artists of the bird kingdom. Which is to say, although they're born with a song of their own, an innate riff that happens to be one of the most versatile of all ornithological expressions, mocking birds aren't content to merely play the hand that is dealt them. Like all artists, they are out to rearrange reality. Innovative, willful, daring, not bound by the rules to which others may blindly adhere, the mockingbird collects snatches of birdsong from this tree and that field, appropriates them, places them in new and unexpected contexts, recreates the world from the world. For example, a mockingbird in South Carolina was heard to blend the songs of thirty-two different kinds of birds into a ten-minute performance, a virtuoso display that serve no practical purpose, falling, therefore, into the realm of pure art.”

Tom Robbins, Skinny Legs and All

:beer2:

• Like 1
dustybookend

country worship is dumb, wish humans would evolve

Flag worship too.

And many times the nations who are big on flag waving are big on mass murder too.

SkyMan

if i don't like a movie i get up and leave.. but i don't try to shut down the movie theater
You might also tell the Theatre Manager the movie sucks.  You might have a large blog following and you might pan the movie there as well.  That's you freedom of speech in action.  If it results in the theatre going under that's ok.  Likewise, a large percentage of Americans would like the song sung with more respect and less, look at my vocal gymnastics BS.  I listen to the anthem on the TV and hit mute when that starts.  I'd like to hear the whole thing once in a while.  So we talk about it and that's our freedom of speech in action.  Like everything said in this thread.

I recall after 911 they did a pretty good job of singing it for a while.

Personally, I agree with my grandpa who was one of many who wanted America the Beautiful as our anthem.  Focusing on a minor war in our history seems rather odd.

• Like 2

Flag worship too.

And many times the nations who are big on flag waving are big on mass murder too.

Well, I can say this without a second thought. I believe in waving our flag loud and proud. 

If I were in the US, freedom of speech or not, if I saw someone burning an American flag, that person ain't seen an ass whippin' like this old south Georgia redneck would give him. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

At least in the USA it's not against the law to screw up the National Anthem.

Despite repeated reminders, some artists continue to make adjustments to the Philippine's anthem, which is not an ordinary piece of music open to free interpretation.

Section 37 of the Republic Act No. 8491, also known as the 1998 Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines, provides that "the rendition of the National Anthem, whether played or sung, shall be in accordance with the musical arrangement and composition of Julian Felipe."

Felipe composed in 1898 the anthem's music, which has the tune of a march. It was played during the proclamation of the country's independence from Spain at Kawit, Cavite on June 12, 1898.

EXAMPLES:

The National Historical Institute (NHI) said that it would be filing a complaint against the rock singer Arnel Pineda’s “wrong” rendition of the Philippine National Anthem.  Though straight and pure, doing the runs appear like changing the original notes of the anthem. 

The Philippine House of Representatives has approved a bill criminalising the improper singing of the country's national anthem.

This new bill is very precise: the anthem should be sung to a marching tempo, within the range of 100 to 120 beats per minute.

When it is played at public gatherings and in cinemas, all citizens should stand to attention and sing with fervour, as a sign of respect.

The bill also tightens up the rules on the use of the national flag - but it is the anthem that has the biggest impact.

• Like 1

Section 37 of the Republic Act No. 8491, also known as the 1998 Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines, provides that "the rendition of the National Anthem, whether played or sung, shall be in accordance with the musical arrangement and composition of Julian Felipe."

i'm proud to come from a country that allows the freedom to play/screw up the national anthem as one pleases as opposed to having laws such as the above.

my favorite version, one for which mr. feliciano caught a good bit of flack:

by the way, the tigers won :)

thebob

It is a bit of a mystery to many in other countries why the Nation Anthem is played before domestic sports matches in the US. I also do not understand why the flag is a part of uniforms that are only used domestically. It is as if everyone needs reminding where they are.

I can't think of another country that has this obsession about nationalistic imagery. RP comes close, but I imagine that is because of American influence.

Majorsco

It is a bit of a mystery to many in other countries why the Nation Anthem is played before domestic sports matches in the US. I also do not understand why the flag is a part of uniforms that are only used domestically. It is as if everyone needs reminding where they are.

I can't think of another country that has this obsession about nationalistic imagery. RP comes close, but I imagine that is because of American influence.

I guess a personal sense of patriotism is a foreign concept to some.

If you're not proud of your country, even with its flaws, then a person would not want to be patriotic.

• Like 1