• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Majorsco

• thebob

• Baywak

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From a Marine Corps Colonel in Afghanistan: "So with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting event: s

i didn't like it when the dixie chicks complained their freedom of speech was being violated cause people didn't want to play their records and were telling others not to buy them.. they (the dixie ch

I'm not sure what SABA means, but I'm entitled to my opinion, and you are entitled to ignore it if you please.

Posted Images

cebubird

For many years I have railed agains this crap and if watching on tv-just turn it off. It is just absolutely disgraceful the way these idiots screw up our anthem. Glad to know I am not the only person who feels this way.

JUST SING IT!!!!!!!!

Edited by cebubird
  • Like 1
Nangulo

It is just absolutely disgraceful the way these idiots screw up our anthem.

Surely you can't be including Rosanne Barr?

• Like 1

Surely you can't be including Rosanne Barr?

Don't call me Shirley...

• Like 2
thebob

I'm not an American, but Francis Scott Key wrote words, not a tune. There isn't a "proper" way to sing it. Jimi Hendrix, did it one way, others have done it other ways.

Respectfully, when the guy says, "Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility that tells the audience that it is about America, not you." I think he is forgetting the line that expresses "The land of the free."

I'm always a little wary of people who describe "their" views as "we". When the guy gets invited to sing his national anthem in public, he can sing it in any way he wants.

The variety reflects the nation, not a constrained ideal, that is impervious to interpretation.

The song itself, with a range of one and a half octaves is notoriously difficult to sing. Let's let musicians do their thing, and warriors do theirs.

• Like 3
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

i am a big believer in freedom of speech. so i would never stop someone from singing the song any way they wanted to.

but while their may be no single right way to sing it..

to my mind and definitely to my ear there are many many wrong ways to sing it.

not necessarily in a way purposely  meant to be insulting, though i believe that to be one of the wrong ways and while i believe someone has the right to do that i believe others have the same freedom of speech to call them on it

but mostly just people who sing it badly either cause of their own inability or the difficulty of the song itself or any other number of reason. and again others have the same freedoms to call them on it. but i do believe there is a lot to be said for someone trying their best even in failure that should carry some weight. 

as for others who choose to change the original song for their own artistic interpretation, that is also their right as it is anyone else's right to like or not like it and tell or not tell them so

some times when people do that i enjoy it sometimes i do not. 

no matter what people can say whatever they want 

sticks and stones

• Like 4
JamesMusslewhite

I'm not an American, but Francis Scott Key wrote words, not a tune. There isn't a "proper" way to sing it. Jimi Hendrix, did it one way, others have done it other ways.

Respectfully, when the guy says, "Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility that tells the audience that it is about America, not you." I think he is forgetting the line that expresses "The land of the free."

I'm always a little wary of people who describe "their" views as "we". When the guy gets invited to sing his national anthem in public, he can sing it in any way he wants.

The variety reflects the nation, not a constrained ideal, that is impervious to interpretation.

The song itself, with a range of one and a half octaves is notoriously difficult to sing. Let's let musicians do their thing, and warriors do theirs

Silly question, when will Great Britain actually sit down and write a real National Anthem? This way the Scottish and Welsh members of your country do not have to snub you during sporting events? Silly Brits do not mind when our citizens poorly sung our Anthem, but they sure get their nicker in a bunch when their own citizens refuse to sing their own. :biggrin_01:

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 2

i am a big believer in freedom of speech.

That's fine and good, when, and where it is applicable. Right?

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

That's fine and good, when, and where it is applicable. Right?

i didn't like it when the dixie chicks complained their freedom of speech was being violated cause people didn't want to play their records and were telling others not to buy them.. they (the dixie chicks)were trying to infringe on others freedom of speech by trying to force them to stop that... but so long as it was all talk both sides were welcome and free to say what they wanted.

and i won't have anyone telling me how to sing a song. who decides what way is the right way? who ..every single person decides for themselves 

and every single person can also feel free to tell anyone else their opinion

if i don't like a movie i get up and leave.. but i don't try to shut down the movie theater

people forget the only real way to protect freedom of speech is to steadfastly protect freedom of unpopular speech

• Like 5

I was insinuating that it doesn't apply here. :D:P 

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

I was insinuating that it doesn't apply here. :D:P

ya feets too big to be insinuating 

• Like 1

Guys its a song, and not a very good one at that, some will mess it up and others do it wonderfully....its a non event, just be proud of your history regardless of how any individual personalises it...its the content and not the delivery that important.

• Like 2