US: Feds Say PTSD Vet Has to Turn in His Guns

RogerDuMond

Hmmmmmm.... a good start but how would we get rid of the other six?

Well you could split them up between criminals, gang members, and the Justice Department to give to Mexican drug lords. Then all the guns will be in the hands of criminals and crime will go up.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebob

• lamoe

• Bill H

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the government would have to totally disarm themselves

And these things are going to protect you, how?  The bad guy beats down your door and is coming at you with a bolo, you think calling the Pulis will save you?  They will show up in time to mop up the

Careful of your interpretation of PTSD - I have been diagnosed with it  - it has become the catch all to allow label us as incompetent -for 46 years my wife has managed our finances and I unplugged th

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Well you could split them up between criminals, gang members, and the Justice Department to give to Mexican drug lords. Then all the guns will be in the hands of criminals and crime will go up.

well

we could make crime against the law

RogerDuMond

well

we could make crime against the law

That is a good idea. Lets start with Chicago where the gun crime rate is 3 times that of Mexico City and they have some of the toughest gun laws in the country.So we should try making crime illegal.

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

Or just tell the government you gifted your guns to your wife. It doesn't mean that you can't still be the one to use them (and control the combination to the gun safe). You can even still hunt using guns "borrowed" from your wife. There isn't a state in the US that requires you to own a firearm before you can buy a hunting license.

They want to totally crap on this Veteran because he does not feel comfortable doing his finances on a computer...

Yet they seem they have no problem in many States letting any baboon off the street buy one...

1524744_1415340812041067_1229508065_n.jp

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1
Brucewayne

Or just tell the government you gifted your guns to your wife. It doesn't mean that you can't still be the one to use them (and control the combination to the gun safe). You can even still hunt using guns "borrowed" from your wife. There isn't a state in the US that requires you to own a firearm before you can buy a hunting license.

You can't legally hunt without a gun permit and I bet the government thought of that, too bad they weren't thinking when they implemented O'bummer's health care plan.

Headshot

You can't legally hunt without a gun permit and I bet the government thought of that, too bad they weren't thinking when they implemented O'bummer's health care plan.

That is wrong. I don't know of a single state where that is true. There is no law in any state that requires you to own the gun you hunt with or have a permit to carry (provided the gun isn't an assault weapon or a handgun and provided you don't conceal it). I have purchased many hunting permits, and they have NEVER asked for a gun permit. If you look in state hunting regulations, you will find that no gun permits are required for long guns (rifles and shotguns) unless they are assault weapons. Most states don't even require gun permits for assault rifles unless they have a full automatic feature.

Headshot

They want to totally crap on this Veteran because he does not feel comfortable doing his finances on a computer...

Yet they seem the have no problem is many States letting any baboon off the street buy one...

1524744_1415340812041067_1229508065_n.jp

That baboon is going to end up with a nice cut around its eye if it pulls the trigger.

• Like 1
Brucewayne

That is wrong. I don't know of a single state where that is true. There is no law in any state that requires you to own the gun you hunt with or have a permit to carry (provided the gun isn't an assault weapon or a handgun and provided you don't conceal it). I have purchased many hunting permits, and they have NEVER asked for a gun permit. If you look in state hunting regulations, you will find that no gun permits are required for long guns (rifles and shotguns) unless they are assault weapons. Most states don't even require gun permits for assault rifles unless they have a full automatic feature.

Then this is wrong?

Hunters wishing to use firearms need to obtain a Firearm Owner Identification Card (FOID) from the Illinois State Police.

Breadcrumb
  1. Illinois DNR
  2. Hunting
Getting Started 

Hunting Opportunities in Illinois

Landscape diversity provides ample opportunities for hunting a variety of species in Illinois.  From hunting ducks along a Mississippi River backwater slough to bow hunting deer in the forests of the Shawnee, Illinois has a variety of opportunities and experiences available.

For hunters just getting started, finding and taking a hunter safety course is required by law for persons born after January 1, 1980.  Hunters will learn about safety, ethics and many of the skills to become a successful hunter.  After taking the course, a person should learn how to use their hunting weapon and practice with it often until they are proficient in using it.

Hunting is an important wildlife management tool that maintains the health and abundance of game species and the balance of our natural resources.  Hunters play an important role in managing wildlife and it is their tax dollars paid through the Pittman-Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act and hunting licenses and fees that pay for the majority of wildlife management by the IDNR.

Who can hunt in Illinois?

• Illinois allows hunting for both Residents and Non-Residents.
  • There are also special hunting opportunities/privileges for Youth, Seniors and Disabled hunters.
  • Illinois provides an Apprentice License for first-time hunters.

Where can I hunt in Illinois?

What can I hunt in Illinois?

When can I hunt in Illinois?

What permits or licenses do I need to hunt in Illinois?

• In general, anyone wishing to hunt in Illinois is required to purchase a hunting license.  There are some exceptions to this requirement.
  • In most cases, a state habitat stamp is also required.
  • Waterfowl hunters will also need both the state waterfowl stamp and the federal waterfowl stamp (federal waterfowl stamps may be purchased at US Post Offices or selected DNR offices).
  • In addition to the license and stamps, species-specific permits are also needed.
  • Anyone born after January 1, 1980, will need to have a copy of the Hunter Safety Education Certificate available while hunting.
  • Hunters wishing to use firearms need to obtain a Firearm Owner Identification Card (FOID) from the Illinois State Police.
  • Lost or damaged permits can be replaced, if you provide required information.

What are legal hunting devices and are there any ammunition restrictions?

• It is unlawful to hunt any protected species except with a gun or bow and arrow. 
  • Various species and seasons have restrictions as to hunting devices and ammunition

What am I required to wear?

• Firearm Deer Hunting - It is unlawful to hunt deer with any firearm when not wearing a solid blaze orange cap/hat and an upper outer garment displaying at least 400 square inches of solid blaze orange material.  Note:  Camouflage blaze orange does not meet the requirements.
  • Archery Deer Hunting during a Firearm Season - During the muzzleloader only, the youth, the late winter and the CWD deer season, archery deer hunters must comply with the requirements to wear blaze orange in counties open to those gun deer seasons.
  • Archery Turkey Hunting during a Firearm Season - When and where it is legal to archery turkey hunt during any gun deer season, archery turkey hunters must comply with the same blaze orange requirements as gun deer hunters.

Trapping Opportunities in Illinois

Trapping plays an important role in the ecology and conservation of Illinois' furbearers - mammals that are hunted and trapped primarily for fur.

If you are first starting out in trapping, it is recommended that a person take the Illinois Trapper Education Course.  Successful completion of this course is required for first-time trappers under the age of 18.  Part of this requirement can be met online at United States TrapperEd.com.  This resource offers helpful tips for both new and experienced trappers.

Who can trap in Illinois?

Where can I trap in Illinois?

• Some properties owned or managed by IDNR offer trapping opportunities.
  • Trapping can occur on private property if a landowner or tenant grants permission to do so.  Permission must also be obtained from anyone living within 100 yards of where traps are set.  This requirement often limits opportunities to trap in residential areas.  Trapping along roads or other public right-of-ways is prohibited.  Land Access Permission Card

What can I trap in Illinois?

• Only certain furbearer species are allowed to be trapped in Illinois.

When can I trap in Illinois?

What do I need to trap in Illinois?

• In most cases, a trapping license and habitat stamp are required to trap in Illinois. See the Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations for exceptions.  Non-residents may trap in Illinois if their state allows Illinois residents to trap there.
Footer
Copyright © 2014 Illinois DNR

Acce

RogerDuMond

The only thing to hunt in Illinois anyway is rats. So as has been said before they have some of the most repressive gun laws and areas of the highest gun murder numbers in the US. Interestingly though a non citizen of Illinois does not need a FOID to hunt in the state.

Back to the OP this is going to be challenged as a violation of the due process section of the 5th amendment.

thebob

I don't really get this. The title says he has PTSD. That should be a reason to keep him away from fire arms. I is a mental condition that can lead to some very random behaviour.

The letter says that he has been banned because of incompetence, it says nothing about him not being able to take care of his finances.

Edited by thebob

I'm pretty sure this is not a new issue. It may make the headlines, at least on the Internet. Unless I am missing something, the issue has to do with competency and the veteran's ability to manage their affairs. It is not exclusive to handling finances. This is an issue going pretty far back and has become intertwined with various anti-gun legislation. It is not a creation of the VA.

Before I get flamed for this, I want to point out that I am not supporting any sort of right for the USA government to circumvent a citizen's constitutional rights.

More power.

• Like 3

I don't really get this. The title says he has PTSD. That should be a reason to keep him away from fire arms. I is a mental condition that can lead to some very random behaviour.

The letter says that he has been banned because of incompetence, it says nothing about him not being able to take care of his finances.

Careful of your interpretation of PTSD - I have been diagnosed with it  - it has become the catch all to allow label us as incompetent -for 46 years my wife has managed our finances and I unplugged the toilet  cleared the snow and fixed the sink - so what.

i know I can't own a firearm but have been cleared if I want one. SURPRISE :rose:  

You'd still want me protecting you and your family instead of some lib who'd say an't my job.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 3
thebob

You'd still want me protecting you and your family instead of some lib who'd say an't my job.

I certainly wouldn't want you protecting me. I'd prefer that to be done by legislation, the rule of law, a strong legal system and the relevant authorities.

• Like 2

I certainly wouldn't want you protecting me. I'd prefer that to be done by legislation, the rule of law, a strong legal system and the relevant authorities.

And these things are going to protect you, how?  The bad guy beats down your door and is coming at you with a bolo, you think calling the Pulis will save you?  They will show up in time to mop up the blood before it's thoroughly dry.....maybe.  The 12ga shot gun hanging on your wall out of the kids reach is what will save you!  It's not the governments job to save you, it's your job!

• Like 4

The VA has been mistreating vets for years and they are getting worse.  I used to joke that VA health care is designed to kill you sooner so they VA does not have to pay you any more disability money.  Lately I've come to think maybe this isn't such a joke any more.  The VA like the IRS has become a political tool of a government out of control in search of power.