Sign in to follow this  
NHANORAK

Taxi recommendations

Monsoon

how much is reasonable to tip him? 50p? 100p?

More like to the nearest 5 peso.

Tipping taxi drivers in the Philippines is unnecessary and not done by locals, apart from the few odd pesos here and there. 

Enuff

More like to the nearest 5 peso.

Tipping taxi drivers in the Philippines is unnecessary and not done by locals, apart from the few odd pesos here and there.

Travel with a wife.

They have more change and small bills than jollyb.

After marriage I figured out why no stores ever have change, the women horde it.

• Like 1

smokey

I'd use Danny Noy every time if I was 100% sure he'd be there. I read some other posts where he didn't show up. The only time I felt the fare was too high was when I was traveling with a LOT of cash and I had the Radisson pick me up. They charged me something like 3,000p for that pickup. I was astonished, but I had a LOT of cash, so felt it was a small thing to be safe.

If there was an actual limo available, I'd use it. Those vans suck. The white taxis really suck. Some of the yellow taxis are just old junk white taxis with a paint job.

I usually round up the fare and tip depending on the driver, the taxi and overall feeling. For the most part, the fare is always less than 300p. If it's close to Christmas, I might tip 500p. If the driver did a good job and the taxi is clean and comfortable, I might tip 100p. If it's a crap taxi, but the driver is funny, I usually tip 40-50p.

when you go out the door turn right and ask for the airport limo its usually a set fee depending on where your going and the cars are all 2013 or 14 ... cost to my house is 700 while the yellow taxi will be 450..

contraman

I personally have not used Danny, but a few months ago I had a colleague stay in Cebu for a week.

He used Danny exclusively the whole week, he had nothing but praise for his service.

• Like 2

Mikala

ask for the airport limo

Last time I used a limo, I had a choice of 3 colors. Do they have any variety at Mactan airport?

Limo Choices.jpg

Or is it more like this?

Corolla.jpg

Will my driver look like this?

sexy-driver-24524362.jpg

• Like 4

Davaoeno

and i am too lazy to drag my shit up the stairs.

you make it sound like a major task.  You only need to push your luggage trolley up a slightly inclined sidewalk .  But then i think you are one of those returning residents who has 6 suitcases and 6 boxes in tow . You have to make sure you have a sufficient supply of sunflower seeds after all !! hehehe 

• Like 2

Paul

Mikala, they will have a VW Beetle waiting for you.

• Like 2

smokey

Last time I used a limo, I had a choice of 3 colors. Do they have any variety at Mactan airport?

attachicon.gifLimo Choices.jpg

Or is it more like this?

attachicon.gifCorolla.jpg

Will my driver look like this?

attachicon.gifsexy-driver-24524362.jpg

Well considering the fee is under 15 dollars just be glad its a real car you want special treatment stay home 

you make it sound like a major task.  You only need to push your luggage trolley up a slightly inclined sidewalk .  But then i think you are one of those returning residents who has 6 suitcases and 6 boxes in tow . You have to make sure you have a sufficient supply of sunflower seeds after all !! hehehe 

oh buddy its just i am one of them returning residents that dont plan  on taking it with me.. life is short just today i noticed i wasted 3 min of my life just today looking for a trash can in the mall its so hard for me to do like the locals and just toss the trash on the ground 

• Like 2

contraman

Last time I used a limo, I had a choice of 3 colors.

attachicon.gifLimo Choices.jpg

I bet you choose the pink one with the gay driver :)

Mikala

I bet you choose the pink one with the gay driver :)

Admittedly the guy wore almost the same outfit as the girl pictured earlier. With my sunglasses, the pink looked blue. Honest!

Here's a photo of the "limo" that picks me up and delivers me to the Busan airport. It rides like a pig. There's no TV. No mini-bar. Makes me question how in the heck it can be considered a "limousine". Maybe it's luxurious to krongkrongs?? It's still better than anything available at Mactan airport.

Korean Limousine.jpg

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 2

oztony

Speaking of drivers , Ian have got yours parked with the motor running , you know just in case , seriously though good to see you back on deck.

Edited by oztony
  • Like 3

Ozepete

I think it would be unreasonable to book Danny or any other taxi to collect you at the airport if you're only going into the city, a 200 -300p fare. Best to use taxis there for such short trips.

We book Danny because we are about a p1.5K trip from the airport to our Cebu home and therefore worth his while stuffing around. Other than that we book Danny by the day for shopping, visiting or whatever but if in the city we just grab any cab for short trips. Danny has never let us down.

• Like 3

hyaku

Is there a taxi app I can use in Cebu? I got stuck in the port a few times with bags. Many refuse to take you unless its to the airport.

I got in one taxi once that had GPRS and was picking up with that. I see this grabtaxi service but maybe its Manila only.

Monsoon

At NAIA the disparity between airport taxi and the 'limo' is ridiculous. The so called 'expensive' airport taxi in bad traffic is 230 pesos to my house from T2. The 'limo' wants 700 or 800 depending on which annoying tout you ask. 

I arrived at NAIA T2 yesterday and my car is coded on Wednesdays, so as I am standing in line for the airport taxi and watching them come in I can see they are getting noticeably tired. I couldn't help but think that most of the fleet will probably grow old and decrepit with no money set aside to replace them in rotation. 

The lack of taxis was quite apparent last night. I had not experienced anything like it before.  They should send to driving school half of the annoying touts that ask you repeatedly "Taxi sir? Taxi? Sir, Taxi? Airport taxi sir?" and put them behind the wheel of airport taxis and maybe they would have enough. I swear that half of the people outside of T2 last night were taxi touts. 

It is so annoying. Do they not realize that most of the traveling world is advised/trained to ignore people who ask you if you need a taxi at an airport? I realize they are legitimate and working for the various private car services, but this is a big 'no no' in the rest of the world and people who are not familiar with the system here are likely to ignore these people. Even places like Phnom Penh Cambodia beat the Philippines by having a reasonably priced coupon based taxi system with a desk in the airport so you know you are dealing with someone legit. Not a bunch of people walking around with a laminated ID from the company that can be made for 100 pesos in 5 minutes by anyone. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2

Paul

Is there a taxi app I can use in Cebu?

A what?!