Sign in to follow this  
NHANORAK

Taxi recommendations

Monsoon

He might be bringing $100k so he can have a really good time during the 1 months stay!

Then he should book an armored car.

Paul

I just don't see the point or need to prebook transportation from the Cebu airport. Unless you are going somewhere special (a long way out of town) or require a special vehicle for whatever reason.

I would much rather have someone I know, someone I trust, and someone who equally knows me - as Danny and his family do, to meet me at the airport, than to jump into the car of a driver I may have never seen in my life, before. 

This certainly applies if I am carrying a large sum of money, upon entering the country. 

Maybe you don't see it because you have a lot of Cebu experience?  This info is valuable for a newbie.  I like to be prepared and will go for a known entity every time versus a stranger if given the choice.

Excellent point. Chris, you, others - myself included, have a lot of on the ground time there, over the years. The new fella just arriving needs to be as comfortable as he can, especially if in country for the first time. 

• Like 1

lamoe

Thanks for the post - I've bookmarked him also. A couple of USD is worth it to what will be a newbie

• Like 1

smokey

Yea I know. Got a taste of that my first visit. Lunch at 12 means sometime around 3 pm with traffic and everyone's so laid back. For a guy from NYC like myself who's use to being on point, its torture.

have you ever watched the Jerry Springer show..?  your about to be in the show at times

• Like 1

Topper

Well bring some valium as this is going to be a major problem for you .. its hard here to plan 3 hours ahead

You much humor, Smokey San!  Can't argue with you though.

goggleye

ive taken yellow cabs and white cabs from the airport there in Mactan  - i never felt i was misused    only once did a driver try to drive without a meter  - cebu cab drivers generally are very good  

• Like 2

Mikala

I had too many white cabs from the airport that were in such disrepair that I didn't think we'd make it the few km to my hotel. I try to keep a positive outlook though and treat it as another 'experience' in life. I consider reserving a driver / car just so I can be sure the vehicle is roadworthy.

Enuff

Yes

You have a few options

Yellow, white or private

Always bet on white

smokey

i have done it many ways a few times i drove myself and left the car in the parking lot, hassle and security questions arise... your basic choices are yellow metered cab outside the door... private car usually a new vios out the door or drag yous stuff up the stairs and get a white cab which just dropped off a fare at the entrance... to my house which is pretty far..  white cab... 350 peso... yellow 450 peso often much cleaner ... private car 700 great is you have lots of luggage .  i would rather take the yellow because they are often cleaner .. smell better ,, maint. is more up to date and the air con works... and i am too lazy to drag my shit up the stairs..  but i will take the private car also if no yellow ready and able to go as often i cant wait to get home and un pack and sleep in my own bed .. I am baffled at times when a guy will fly say from the usa to cebu a 25 hour trip costing at least 60,000 peso only to find the need to drag his shit up the stairs to save up to 100 peso on the taxi fare

Edited by smokey

Mikala

I am baffled at times when a guy will fly say from the usa to cebu a 25 hour trip costing at least 60,000 peso only to find the need to drag his shit up the stairs to save up to 100 peso on the taxi fare

Plenty of times I arrive after midnight and there are virtually no yellow taxis available.

I take the convenient elevator up and go find a white taxi after that. Admittedly there are times it will take 45 minutes to get a white taxi at that hour too!

smokey

Plenty of times I arrive after midnight and there are virtually no yellow taxis available.

I take the convenient elevator up and go find a white taxi after that. Admittedly there are times it will take 45 minutes to get a white taxi at that hour too!

You of all people should be able to lets the dust out of your wallet and come up with the few hundred extra to take the limo type service ... I mean i guess you can just walk to your hotel and save the whole 200 peso ... :yahoo:  hey whats that squeeking sound ??  oh nothing its just Mikala removing his wallet from his armored pocket

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

newbster

It sounds like Danny is a good option and a truly nice guy.

I usually tip taxis a little in Cebu, something like rounding up to the nearest 50 or 100 depending on how far they drove me and how good the service was. If I book Danny to do an airport ride for 300p, how much is reasonable to tip him? 50p? 100p? Thanks.

Also for getting to south part of Cebu island, I usually use the yellow bus aircon (tickets for 2 are I think around 500p or so). Is there another safer option that would cost under 1500p or 2000p? Pls just PM me for this one so we don't divert the thread.

Mikala

You of all people should be able to lets the dust out of your wallet and come up with the few hundred extra to take the limo type service ... I mean i guess you can just walk to your hotel and save the whole 200 peso ... :yahoo:  hey whats that squeeking sound ??  oh nothing its just Mikala removing his wallet from his armored pocket

I'd use Danny Noy every time if I was 100% sure he'd be there. I read some other posts where he didn't show up. The only time I felt the fare was too high was when I was traveling with a LOT of cash and I had the Radisson pick me up. They charged me something like 3,000p for that pickup. I was astonished, but I had a LOT of cash, so felt it was a small thing to be safe.

If there was an actual limo available, I'd use it. Those vans suck. The white taxis really suck. Some of the yellow taxis are just old junk white taxis with a paint job.

I usually round up the fare and tip depending on the driver, the taxi and overall feeling. For the most part, the fare is always less than 300p. If it's close to Christmas, I might tip 500p. If the driver did a good job and the taxi is clean and comfortable, I might tip 100p. If it's a crap taxi, but the driver is funny, I usually tip 40-50p.

• Like 1

Paul

I read some other posts where he didn't show up.

It may have been where he sent a driver, other than himself, to fetch the client? Not sure. He has never let me down when I arrived in Cebu.

I usually round up the fare and tip depending on the driver, the taxi and overall feeling. For the most part, the fare is always less than 300p. If it's close to Christmas, I might tip 500p. If the driver did a good job and the taxi is clean and comfortable, I might tip 100p. If it's a crap taxi, but the driver is funny, I usually tip 40-50p.

I will be your driver in Cebu, especially during the holidays. :D

• Like 3

Enuff

I'd use Danny Noy every time if I was 100% sure he'd be there. I read some other posts where he didn't show up. The only time I felt the fare was too high was when I was traveling with a LOT of cash and I had the Radisson pick me up. They charged me something like 3,000p for that pickup. I was astonished, but I had a LOT of cash, so felt it was a small thing to be safe.

If there was an actual limo available, I'd use it. Those vans suck. The white taxis really suck. Some of the yellow taxis are just old junk white taxis with a paint job.

Yes, he left me high & dry

Had flown my mother in and standing at the airport looking like fool cause . . . . Sorry sir, I forgot. Went upstairs and squeezed 3 people & 6 pcs luggage in a white cab.

now I just stick to what I know, white cabs

• Like 1