Day rate or Job rate painters

So after reading all the pros and cons of both forms of employing pinoys on a painting job, we got a quote for the job. Based on the job quote, we chose the day rate and thought we'd need to keep a close eye on them. So yesterday they start prepping our bedroom for painting and today they start the painting. Well  my missus is a very, very polite person and every time she goes to the bedroom she knocks on the door. So I'm thinking to myself she should keep them on their toes and just open the door unannounced. I didn't say anything about it, then this afternoon I thought I'd have a look and see how they're getting on and find the door is locked. So I ask her and find she's been knocking not out of politeness, but because the door is always locked.They'll be leaving shortly, so I'll be interested to find out why they need to lock the door when they're painting. :angry:

I would leave someone inside to watch them, personally.

Davaoeno

So after reading all the pros and cons of both forms of employing pinoys on a painting job, we got a quote for the job. Based on the job quote, we chose the day rate and thought we'd need to keep a close eye on them. So yesterday they start prepping our bedroom for painting and today they start the painting. Well  my missus is a very, very polite person and every time she goes to the bedroom she knocks on the door. So I'm thinking to myself she should keep them on their toes and just open the door unannounced. I didn't say anything about it, then this afternoon I thought I'd have a look and see how they're getting on and find the door is locked. So I ask her and find she's been knocking not out of politeness, but because the door is always locked.They'll be leaving shortly, so I'll be interested to find out why they need to lock the door when they're painting. :angry:

at the risk of sounding outrageous have you considered telling them not to lock the door ????  I have had maybe 40 different workers and if there is one thing i have learned is that when i am out of sight very little gets done - if anything.  They arent stupid - the longer the job takes the more money they make, so why should they rush ?  In fact you have created the situation where it is guaranteed that they will go slowly . 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2
NOSOCALPINOY

My wife negotiated the "daily rate" of a good reputable painter she knows! P450 per day just for the primary lead/foreman laborer and P350 per day per person for additional help he may need! Most painters only do contract work for the full amount of the estimated cost for the entire work to be done, but we convinced him at a daily rate! 

They, the 3 of them, did an outstanding job of "touch up" painting the entire exterior of our home as needed including our dirty Spanish tile roof all of in 4 days time, cutting our cost dramatically!

Interior painting will be next, but don't know if he'll agree again on a daily rate, pay as you go daily! We'll see!   

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

and please do not fall for the ''Cash Advance'' trick....usually they need to buy rice for the family or some other excuse....

at the risk of sounding outrageous have you considered telling them not to lock the door ???? I have had maybe 40 different workers and if there is one thing i have learned is that when i am out of sight very little gets done - if anything. They arent stupid - the longer the job takes the more money they make, so why should they rush ? In fact you have created the situation where it is guaranteed that they will go slowly .

They only had about an hour to go when I found out about the locked door from the wife. As I didn't want to stop them  from, looking like they were, working, I waited until they clocked off to confirm there was no need to lock the door in futurer. Comically the wind blew the door closed and locked them out just as they were clearing away, so I brought it up then. Fortunately I had sorted out the keys yesterday, so we were able to get back in.

I was aware they weren't going to hurry, but I give people the benefit of the doubt until I can be sure they're taking the mick. However, I have a suspicion one of them actually fell asleep this afternoon as the other was banging the door for about ten minutes trying to get back in. Didn't raise it with them as I don't think it will achieve anything as they will finish the bedroom tomorrow anyway and I will be able to keep a closer eye on them when they work in the rest of the condo.

Sadly they don't realise that their actions will cost them work, because I'm irritated now and have started painting to make sure the job finishes a lot earlier. I had no intention of doing any work, and its only peanuts we're talking about, but I just don't like someone trying to take me for a mug.

Davaoeno

Sadly they don't realise that their actions will cost them work, because I'm irritated now and have started painting to make sure the job finishes a lot earlier. I had no intention of doing any work, and its only peanuts we're talking about, but I just don't like someone trying to take me for a mug.

I have been there - done that. In my experience you can not shame the average filipino worker into feeling guilty . They in fact are usually quite happy to watch you work.  Few workers here are able to work and talk at the same time 

What we consider usual motivations in wanting to get more work in general do not work here !! Totally different mind set . 

I have been there - done that. In my experience you can not shame the average filipino worker into feeling guilty . They in fact are usually quite happy to watch you work. Few workers here are able to work and talk at the same time

The thought of shaming them by doing the work hadn't even crossed my mind. I'm not naive enough to think you can change their mindset. Now I just want to pay them as little as possible for the job. I don't expect them to realise that if they'd worked normally I would not have started painting. I'll do the things that I don't mind and leave them to do the ceilings and cutting in, which I find more of a hassle. I had a couple of other jobs I was going to offer them at the end if they'd been good workers, but I won't now.

Humboldt

the pay in the province a bit less 350 for the lead man 300 other's

we do give snacks 10 am and 3 pm water/Tang/coffee and sweet bread .. I like to leave a radio on

To say you get what you pay for does not always apply when it comes to workmanship here ... a lesson learnt... I had my condo painted while I was back in OZ by the same three guys that painted a friend of mines Condo which is almost exactly the same as mine. He and his wife were there to oversee progress, the workmanship and actual time on the job. He paid each worker 200 pesos an hour less than I did...his job was done in half the time and the finished job was much, much better then mine. ........."A fool and his money are soon parted  :db: ".

cebulover2000

They work slow when you don't watch them, it's always better to hire a person to watch the contractors, it pays off.

So our condo painting job is finishing today.  :clapping: We've just got the head painter in for odds and sods. In all it cost around 9k in wages on a day rate basis.

The head guy is actually very good, a family friend, a hard worker and a very good painter (He didn't start the job until day 4 as he was finishing another job). So I just had to ask him how he arrived at his labour quote of 27,800! He was allowing for the filling and sanding of all the walls to take longer, along with the cleaning of the mess. I do actually believe him as I saw how slow his 2 workers were in taking 3 days to complete a small bedroom! While they do have their own brushes and rollers, they don't have a decorating gun so the time taken to fill, sand and clean was painful. When I went round and filled using a gun and decorators caulk, it saved time and caused a lot less mess, as sanding wasn't necessary.

So the bottom line was I worked 3 long days to save around 19k. It wasn't just the money saving, it was the reduced completion time, so I would choose the day rate option if being given the choice again.

I will recommend using the head painter in the services section of the forum.

• Like 1