Sign in to follow this  
MJ_86

Where to stay, what to do, what to see - Cebu City

newbster

We don't really know what your aim is in this trip. Do you like to do touristy sight-seeing type stuff or are you hoping to have some female companionship while you are here (assuming that you haven't already met somebody online that you are meeting here). Three days isn't much time to see anyplace, so unless you are meeting somebody here (pre-arranged), about your only options are the girly bars along Mango (I'm not recommending that...I'm just saying). Three days just isn't enough time to meet real girls (like the kind you might want to actually get to know and possibly marry) and start a real relationship without any advance preparation.

If your aim is NOT to find girls for recreational purposes, then just go to restaurants rather than regular bars. Most decent restaurants here also have a bar inside that will serve whatever you want (within reason). Truthfully, if your aim is just to relax and do some touristy things (or if you are meeting somebody that you have already met online), I would suggest that you just spend one day and night (that's plenty) in Cebu City (to see the Cathedral and Basilica, Magellan's cross, Fort San Pedro and whatever else you find of interest), and then take a jet boat ferry to Bohol (Tagbilaran) and hop over to one of the beach resorts on Panglao. They have much nicer beaches there, and you can do the tourist circuit there too (chocolate hills, tarsiers, butterflies, river cruise, etc.). Most of the great old mission churches on Bohol are now just piles of rubble from the earthquake. The beach resorts have watersports for you as well.

We don't really know what your aim is in this trip. Do you like to do touristy sight-seeing type stuff or are you hoping to have some female companionship while you are here (assuming that you haven't already met somebody online that you are meeting here). Three days isn't much time to see anyplace, so unless you are meeting somebody here (pre-arranged), about your only options are the girly bars along Mango (I'm not recommending that...I'm just saying). Three days just isn't enough time to meet real girls (like the kind you might want to actually get to know and possibly marry) and start a real relationship without any advance preparation.

If your aim is NOT to find girls for recreational purposes, then just go to restaurants rather than regular bars. Most decent restaurants here also have a bar inside that will serve whatever you want (within reason). Truthfully, if your aim is just to relax and do some touristy things (or if you are meeting somebody that you have already met online), I would suggest that you just spend one day and night (that's plenty) in Cebu City (to see the Cathedral and Basilica, Magellan's cross, Fort San Pedro and whatever else you find of interest), and then take a jet boat ferry to Bohol (Tagbilaran) and hop over to one of the beach resorts on Panglao. They have much nicer beaches there, and you can do the tourist circuit there too (chocolate hills, tarsiers, butterflies, river cruise, etc.). Most of the great old mission churches on Bohol are now just piles of rubble from the earthquake. The beach resorts have watersports for you as well.

Are the Bohol Panglao resorts up and running fine after the earthquakes last year? Anything I need to know or beware of when traveling to Bohol now or is everything back to normal there?

Also if I'm looking for a 2-4 day trip from Cebu is Bohol one of the better ideas or is something like Palawan or another area better? I have no specific agenda or interest area, just looking for a nice place to vacation with my sweetheart for a few days. We probably would want to do a little light sight-seeing but nothing too strenuous like an all day sweaty walk sort of thing.....mainly we would want to check something (waterfall, boat ride, market, animal park, lookout point, whatever) out for a couple hours and get in some photos. :)

Thanks

Edited by newbster

Enuff

alona beach is 100% up and running fine. there is much to do there and many different types of accommodations. you are going to have some issues hitting the p1000 mark in alona but might have luck elsewhere on Panglao island. my experience is its best to just stay in alona beach otherwise you will be wanting to go there for the restaurants and nightlife. I usually stay at lost horizon beach resort annex, its a few steps away from the beach and only less than p2000 per night. free wifi, nice pool & cheapest beer around (p35 smb 11am-7pm). also this is the best time to go (near holy week) as there are about 15+ bars on the beach and usually 4-5 of them offer live music. not really any disco nightlife and usually everything is shut down by 11pm but it works well for us. there are also many daytrip options and since there are so many vendors you can negotiate and get some decent deals or even pair up with another couple and share costs. 

good luck

newbster

Any suggestions on most worthwhile day trips?

Enuff

Sea tour was good

Sagbayan peak tour no good for me

Countryside tour no good for me

Panglao tour was good

Next time we go with relatives we will do all land tour in one day. Start at bee farm for breakfast the sightsee around Panglao then Lubec dinner cruise. Other than that the sea tour was fun. We also took a ride to tagbilaran for the day. Nice to walk around and see the malls BQ & ICM.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MJ_86

I absolutely adored Bohol and it is possibly my most favourite place in the country. It is quite different from other islands. There is little poverty (that I saw) and the people are very friendly.Mostly things are running as they were before the quake except there is a noticeable lack on teenagers around in the evenings as the school times were extended so they could catch up on the curriculum that they missed after the schools closed post quake. There is quite a lot to do there besides the obvious Chocolate Hills and tarsier sanctuary which disappointed me a little. 

Panglao is turning into Boracay from what my friend there said but it was cheaper and still very nice. I shall take a diving course there when I return in January. Tagbilaran is a lovely little city easy to get around and it has most essentials. I'd like it to be a little more livelier in the evenings, there is little choice of evening entertainment. Once this changes and they build an SM Mall I could quite happily live there.

On my next trip I'll be staying in Manila for a few days as for some reason I'm quite partial to it and then go straight to Tagbilaran!

Mike

newbster

Sea tour was good

Sagbayan peak tour no good for me

Countryside tour no good for me

Panglao tour was good

Next time we go with relatives we will do all land tour in one day. Start at bee farm for breakfast the sightsee around Panglao then Lubec dinner cruise. Other than that the sea tour was fun. We also took a ride to tagbilaran for the day. Nice to walk around and see the malls BQ & ICM.

Hi,

Great info but I got a little lost on a couple things -hope you don't mind clarifying for me. :)

Sea Tour - is there any particular sea tour I should try to get or price I should try to pay? i.e. anything I should know when bargaining for a sea tour (like don't go to this place, thar  be pirates thar, etc) :)

Panglao - is that just driving around Panglao in a van or something? What is there to see on Panglao that you recommend?

Bee Farm - do you recommend staying there or just going there for breakfast? And I guess Lubec dinner is only a few hours - are mosquitos/malaria/yellow/hemorrgagic-fever/etc a problem on that tour?

Any recommendations on where to eat at Alona/Panglao that's reasonably priced and safe/clean/good?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by newbster

Enuff

Sea tour is basic. Out to a couple islands for scuba or snorkeling or just sightseeing. Shouldn't cost more than p2500 for private boat. If going with group should be much less. Last trip we paid p300 for private snorkeling trip off the island. Should be a total trip of about 6 hours +/-

Bee farm breakfast and tour then off to see panglao. Cave, church, white beach & market. That's a quick tour so afterwards have driver go to lobuc for dinner cruise. It's p450 per head with 1 free soda. Beers were p60 I think?? Total cost for the driver & car shouldn't be over p2500. I didn't see any mosquito.

Eating in alona is very good. Prices can be high if you eat at resorts or low if you walk up to main area and eat bbq. There's a great bar with the best shwarma for p150. Good pizza and couple bodegas too. All about sense of taste and adventure. If you focus or u r taste you will find her unhappy. Filipina girls love bbq, fish and rice. Eat like a local and she will love u long time

JSL-USMC

One of the big draws here is the women. Boy, they've got some beauties.

Brucewayne

They best part of the of the Philippines is under the water.

Only because they haven't figured out how to drive a scooter there yet!

oscarpears

I like Colon, but i accept that you do have to have your wits about you and not be especially naive.

It has some interesting sights and you can walk the area in safely by day and use taxis by night.

The hotel i use is the Golden Valley. It is small, pleasant and safe.

I think 1,000 pesos a night budget is a little small. You are on holiday, it it worth making a little finanical effort to ensure that your stay in the city is pleasant.

If you are not staying too long, it is good to visit the Church of ST Nino which is a 15 minute walk from the Golden Valley and the Ayala Terraces are a nice place to hang out, eat and someone on a date.

Good Luck :)

roaddog

You want to see the malls. Same malls here as in Manila.  Why don't you treat yourself to an adventure. When you get off ferry or plane jump in nearest taxi and say bus station. Look around when you see THE bus jump on and pay for end of route. When you arrive at end of line get off look around and say to yourself what the hell now. Stick around for a day or 3 you will either have the best adventure of your life or say why did I listen to that dumb ass for.

You didn't travel half way round the world to go to malls. Go for the adventure.