Sign in to follow this  
MJ_86

Where to stay, what to do, what to see - Cebu City

MJ_86

Hi all and happy new year to everyone!

So the time has come to prepare for my next trip :-) I arrive into Manila on the 25th January and I plan to be there for 4-5 days seeing some friends, eating lots of Adobo and sightseeing. 

Then I'll be going to Cebu for the first time. I'm hoping to be there for 2-3 nights depending on what there is to do. I've been on a few websites so know of a few things to go and see but I didn't find out that much. Any top suggestions? I would like to get a local feel of the place.

I'll be travelling alone and hoping to meet some people as it does get lonely even when you're in a such wonderful place. Where would be best to go out in the evening for food and a few drinks? 

Also hotels. Ideally I would like to be located in the city itself and pay around the 1000P a night range for a room with a double (I'm 189cm tall) any good recommendations? 

Thanks in advance

Mike

Monsoon

Hi all and happy new year to everyone!

So the time has come to prepare for my next trip :-) I arrive into Manila on the 25th January and I plan to be there for 4-5 days seeing some friends, eating lots of Adobo and sightseeing. 

Then I'll be going to Cebu for the first time. I'm hoping to be there for 2-3 nights depending on what there is to do. I've been on a few websites so know of a few things to go and see but I didn't find out that much. Any top suggestions? I would like to get a local feel of the place.

I'll be travelling alone and hoping to meet some people as it does get lonely even when you're in a such wonderful place. Where would be best to go out in the evening for food and a few drinks? 

Also hotels. Ideally I would like to be located in the city itself and pay around the 1000P a night range for a room with a double (I'm 189cm tall) any good recommendations? 

Thanks in advance

Mike

I have no idea anything about your interests and background so its hard for me to give you advice on what to do. 

I can give you a recommendation based on your stated budget for a hotel though - I would consider Apple Tree Suites. 

MJ_86

I would like to go to some malls and Colon especially. They just tour around in some jeepneys and see some touristy stuff. As for nightlife I'm looking for some restaurant/bars when you can get some nice food and have a few cocktails

Mike

lamoe

MJ - not being sarcastic but you need to read a lot of the older posts particularly those that caution the visitor on what not to do.

Look up Colon to make sure it's the right place.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/63290-harassment-in-colon/?hl=colon

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

ThomsonJr

Ninoys Payag on Escario Str. corner with Juana Osmena Str. to hook up with boring old farts and eat what is probably the best authentic European food i've eaten in the city (at reasonable prices). 

Hotels: Diplomat Hotel or any hotel listed on hotels.com

MJ_86

MJ - not being sarcastic but you need to read a lot of the older posts particularly those that caution the visitor on what not to do.

Look up Colon to make sure it's the right place.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/63290-harassment-in-colon/?hl=colon

Thanks for the advice but i've been through the older posts in the travel section and the only one I've found are from 2011 and as we know from visiting the Philippines is that prices go up, quality can go down and thats why I was asking so as I can get some up to date info that's specific to me.

Thanks for the Colon   :link: link. I'll be sure to keep my camera away :-)

Mike

• Like 1

lamoe

Ok - let us know how it goes - have said before want to hear about any mistakes others make so I don't :beer2:

POTATOMAN

el gecko is ok, also our place & urban cellar(bars), really hit & miss in Cebu. i stagger round colon & other parts of Cebu & have never had a problem, just use ommon sense

• Like 2

Paddy

There are some quite reasonable touristy places in Cebu - and probably a host of less remarkable sites

Magellan's Cross - watch out for the little old ladies and kids who want to sell you various trinkets.

post-15276-0-63028700-1389726866_thumb.jpg

Fort San Pedro - a nice little Spanish Fort

post-15276-0-20494200-1389726879_thumb.jpg

The Taoist Temple - a favourite peace and quiet spot

post-15276-0-72387700-1389726888_thumb.jpg

there's also the monument to Lapu Lapu but I don't have a good picture of that - it was nighttime when we were there.

As you can probably tell, I'm not much of a bar / nightlife person  :)

• Like 6

Brucewayne

You could always visit different resorts, there are hundreds of them to choose from.

Mactan has luxury resorts and if you head toward Compostela, you can see how locals play at the less expensive beach resorts.

Mingle and if you are a social person, party with the locals if you really want to have fun.

I hope you like karaoke though because that seems to be their favorite pastime.

ron100

hi the hotels i stay in are crown garden near IT PARK rooms 999  double, they ok

,but walking distance to ayala is, golden peak 1000 night good big rooms bit dated ,this is walk in rate and also maybe able to book, but u gota ask for this rate,

Wolfpack

I think Crown Regency on Jones blvd is a cool place to go on ones first visit to Cebu...they have this gig on top of the hotel...you can zipline to the top of another building...and also have this roller coster type gig...you get one option free with their buffet (like 750 pesos or so, last time I ate there)...

Hotels, I suggest Summit Circle, also on the corner of Jones blvd and Mango Ave...more than 1000 pesos...but close to Mango Square, which is a cool night spot for first timers...

Since you are only there for a short stay...that is your best bet...

tomaw

I would like to go to some malls and Colon especially. They just tour around in some jeepneys and see some touristy stuff. As for nightlife I'm looking for some restaurant/bars when you can get some nice food and have a few cocktails

Mike

... I stayed three times at the Marriott right next to Ayala mall. It has good food and a good breakfast buffet and live entertainment at night. The last time I was there though was 9 years ago, so you may want to get some more updated information and current costs. Edited by tomaw

Wolfpack

... I stayed three times at the Marriott right next to Ayala mall. It has good food and a good breakfast buffet and live entertainment at night. The last time I was there though was 9 years ago, so you may want to get some more updated information and current costs.

IMO, his mention of Colon...I think he really means he wants to be going to Mango Square...

That is why I mention Summit Circle as the place to stay the night...or maybe Regency Plaza...or Beverly Botique (formerly known as Eddie's Hotel)

Humboldt

old school hotel in the heart of the city how about the Mercedes hotel in colon st. corner sikatuna

last time we stayed there it was 900 peso's