Sign in to follow this  
Ogami

Windows 8 blows...

Ogami

My new Dell desktop has windows 8, not only do I hate the interface but it just isn't very good. For example, you can't click through jpegs in Photo Viewer without eventually getting annoying "Not responding" messages, videos won't play off the SD card unless you use VLC player. Anyone know if I can run W7 without it jacking all my media files, programs, plug ins etc? 

Pretty sure new Dells have generic W8 (the don't even give you a disc).

Fergie

Agreed it sucks!

roadhaze

I'm starting to get use to it. Use it for a bit.

philuk

I was told win 8 was win 7 in a different skin. Cos you can make win 8 look like win 7

Even though you get no discs you should have a recovery partition and the option to make one set of recovery discs from it

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Ogami

I can live with a new interface and the ads. But stall out in photo viewer? Some jpegs don't even show up. Exact camera and SD cards worked brilliantly in w7. Tonight it's bogging down when I shift files from one internal HDD to another. Unbelievable. Bill Gates does it again. 

Ronin

I don't think Windows 8 blows but that's a topic for Politics and Religion...

Try this...

Hit Ctr-Alt-Del, select task manager, then click the "more details" button on the bottom of the resultant dialog box.

This will show you what is using your CPU/Memory.

Maybe something is happening in the background that is slowing your system down, possibly an update in progress?

Btw, is your new dell desktop comparable to your old windows 7 system (hdd speed/processor/memory/graphics card)?

Ogami

The new Dell is allegedly faster and better in every way. 12 gigs of RAM and new generation i7 quad core. Much better graphics card too. 

Task manager doesn't show a lot of system usage. 

Edited by Ogami

miles-high

My new Dell desktop has windows 8

Is it 8 or 8.1? Lots of improvements on 8.1, solved all hardware problems on my Surface. My Surface 2 came preinstalled with 8.1, much better overall... :) If 8, I would upgrade it to 8.1 right away...

Caveat emptor: I was browsing the cyber zone (SM) last weekend, helping my friend buy a computer… Many are still 8.0… A well-known store even had a 8.1 demo/display unit but when asked the tech brought us a 8.0 unit of the same model, telling us he would upgrade it to 8.1 right then… We insisted 8.1 and he finally brought us an 8.1…

Edited by miles-high

MattFromGA
Anyone know if I can run W7 without it jacking all my media files, programs, plug ins etc? 

You should always backup your data before doing an OS change, especially going backwards.  If you do go back to win7, you should format the drive and start over and restore your data files after.

However, I'd say you have some other issue if the images are not showing as they should.  Photo viewer can show images from your skydrive account.  There is a chance you are viewing your images from a skydrive account, which has to download images over the internet and then bad network access can give the situation you have.

I do have to agree that the photo viewer in windows 8 sucks, however, you can set your image types to be viewed by "windows image view" rather than the new one in windows 8 and get the desktop popop window you are used to seeing in win7.

You should always be watching movies with VLC, regardless of win7 or win8.  There is no other media player worthy anyway.

I agree with the win 8.1 upgrade.  Before you go to win7, do the free upgrade to win8.1, but that wont fix the gripes you have with media playback.

Edited by MattFromGA

Ogami

Okay guys, I'll try 8.1. I had thought of that but when I read what it does, it didn't say much about fixing glitches and whatnot -- just claimed to add new feature. I'll try it and report back. Nothing left to lose.

throttleplate

hang in there,i like 8 and installed 8.1,all works great for me,pictures no problem.give it some time and play around with it and soon it will be old school to you.

Ogami

Haven't tried 8.1 yet, but found something interesting. My C drive suddenly filled up. Weird since I don't place any video/jpeg files on it, just programs. Pinpointed the issue to CrashDumps from AVG. It's out of my pay grade but apparently w8 crashes avg and send these ginormous files to Crashdump. Deleted the files and now photoviewer, so far, isn't hanging. Will keep things posted and I bumble on.

mikewright

Using Windows 8.1 and a new laptop this trip, not having much joy. Bought a Smart dongle to get internet access, no joy as Smart doesn't have a driver developed yet for 8.1.  Then cursor disappeared when using the touchpad, apparently a bug in Windows 8.1, so had to buy a mouse.

On the bright side, am getting very good internet reception with Globe.

Edited by mikewright

roaddog

Ya my touchpad stopped too. Someone told me the driver might need a update now. Can't figure out where to even look for it. Anybody heard about a update on driver for touchpad.

• Like 1