Sign in to follow this  
Stukish

They took away my Probationary Visa!

spooks

If you're 50 and above you can also withdraw that 20k to invest in the Philippines - condo, house, etc...

If you're under 50 the deposit goes up to 50k, same rules apply IIRC.

If you're under 50 you can still make a 20k deposit and get the visa, however, you can not invest the deposit.

And $360 usd per year (but no ACR-I card is required and you can come and go as you please).

You do get an ACR card I know I had one, I forgot it when out of the country and was near prevented boarding my return flight despite the original SRRV in my passport. the annual fee you pay gets you the card. What they call the card matters not, it has the function of an ACR card

Davaoeno
You do get an ACR card [/quote

you do get an SRRV card but not an ACR card. 

Baywak

That's why they call it "Probationary".

SkyMan

I was so close. I had finished the process of getting my I-card. I had the probationary card. But I showed up late (beyond the 1 year) by about 2 weeks. So... they took the card away and told me that we had to start all over again.
Actually, if you went in 2 weeks after the Probationary expired you were really about 2.5 months late.

she dismissed me.
Red flag.  Is your wife a current or former BI employee?  Why did you think she knew better than the attorney?

Jawny

Regarding the $20,000 Development Bank dposit method of getting a Visa, does anyone know if I can move IRA/401K money into an account like that without incurring penalties?

The 401k is for deferral of taxes in the USA.  It is my understanding that if you were to remove the money from such an investment, you would be subject to the USA tax liability at the time of the withdrawal.  

I am not certain, but I doubt the Phillippine investment would qualify as a 410k investment.

Be aware of the upfront and recurring annual costs for the SRRV.  Definite benefits for such a visa, but it is not cheap.

mpt1947

Sorry, but I trust no banks here and am even apprehensive of those in the states since my bank there went belly up, taking nearly half of what I had in savings along with them in 2008.

If the Philippines were more stable, I would probably go along with their $20,000 deposit deal.

You had more than $250,000 in one account?  You can have multiple Accounts in the same bank - 

Brucewayne

You had more than $250,000 in one account?  You can have multiple Accounts in the same bank - 

No, I only had around $1,500 in my account, but Midland Bank took Commercial State Bank over and when I found out, I closed my account.

I only got $750.00 of it and when I filed a complaint with the Banking Commission, I was told that Midland Bank was not a federal bank and therefore not covered by their laws.

I was further infomed that if I wanted full protection under federal laws, I need to make sure I am using a federal reserve bank, not some state bank, especially one that operates from another state, which also excluded them from certain Illinois State laws.

Midland is from Midland Texas and they operate by their own rules.

smokey

No, I only had around $1,500 in my account, but Midland Bank took Commercial State Bank over and when I found out, I closed my account.

I only got $750.00 of it and when I filed a complaint with the Banking Commission, I was told that Midland Bank was not a federal bank and therefore not covered by their laws.

I was further infomed that if I wanted full protection under federal laws, I need to make sure I am using a federal reserve bank, not some state bank, especially one that operates from another state, which also excluded them from certain Illinois State laws.

lets complain to james and tim .... dang texas

• Like 2

Brucewayne

lets complain to james and tim .... dang texas

It wasn't the money that bothered me, it was the fact that they screwed me, any real money would have been invested, not sitting in a bank vault gathering dust.

smokey

It wasn't the money that bothered me, it was the fact that they screwed me, any real money would have been invested, not sitting in a bank vault gathering dust.

well if you have a truck load of dusty money send it over i will personally clean it and send you back at least 70% of it all clean and sparkling

• Like 1

mpt1947

I was so close. I had finished the process of getting my I-card. I had the probationary card. But I showed up late (beyond the 1 year) by about 2 weeks. So... they took the card away and told me that we had to start all over again.

Do I have ANY recorse? Any? I am willing to pay any bribe to avoid having to start this process all over again. And I assume that since they probably have all of my original paperwork that someone might be able to reissue the card.

I first read this statement and got very angry - it is because of people like you that I have to deal with a four page application to renew my Permanent 13a - Your Late I don't care why you are late - either take the advice of people here that have suggested the SRRV's or start over and stop blaming your wife - remember she is petitioning for your stay here - be nice. And it is your responsibility.

Then I read more - you have questions about your IRA/401k - How old are you?  Get a Lawyer in the US and ask your tax questions - get a lawyer here to see if they will accept stocks and bond in lieu of Cash.

When you came into the country, was your wife with you?  I suppose you didn't think to ask for a BB Stamp - of course not.

I have no sympathy for you - none what's so ever you blew it and instead of dealing with the consequences you are looking for an easy way out 

• Like 3

Monsoon

I did the same thing with my 13A. I would have hardly been able to meet the deadline anyway as I just returned here early November and mine expired early December. I didn't want the thing anyway.

Im sure you have now learned that they make you jump through hoops to 'downgrade' your visa. And you are required to have a more extensive ECC performed than those who stay here long term on tourist visas. What a farce. Have already gone through all the procedures to be come a permanent, fingerprinting, interview, blah blah blah and now you have to go through more checks than a frigging criminal who comes here for a short stay to do whatever. 

Its ridiculous. Chalk one up for its not more fun in the Philippines. 

I will not start the process over. I was thinking about getting rid of it anyway. If for some reason I ever want one again I will do it from the states and just pop over for  visit for implementation. Mine was a waste of time and money in the first place because we left a couple months after I got mine and spent the bulk of the year in the states. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

mpt1947

OK  Sorry for your loss - has everything been settled?  I would still file a law suit - or become part of a Class Suit - you may dead and gone when it is settled, but $750 could make a nice memorial 

Brucewayne

OK  Sorry for your loss - has everything been settled?  I would still file a law suit - or become part of a Class Suit - you may dead and gone when it is settled, but $750 could make a nice memorial 

Nah, it wasn't even a thousand dollars, why sweat the small stuff.

I only brought it up to explain why I don't fully trust any bank at any time or anywhere.

well if you have a truck load of dusty money send it over i will personally clean it and send you back at least 70% of it all clean and sparkling

If I had a truck load of money, it would already have a job.

Never let the bulk of your money lay around like a lazy stepchild, inflation will eat it up alive.

mpt1947

I did the same thing with my 13A. I would have hardly been able to meet the deadline anyway as I just returned here early November and mine expired early December. I didn't want the thing anyway.

Im sure you have now learned that they make you jump through hoops to 'downgrade' your visa. And you are required to have a more extensive ECC performed than those who stay here long term on tourist visas. What a farce. Have already gone through all the procedures to be come a permanent, fingerprinting, interview, blah blah blah and now you have to go through more checks than a frigging criminal who comes here for a short stay to do whatever. 

Its ridiculous. Chalk one up for its not more fun in the Philippines. 

I will not start the process over. I was thinking about getting rid of it anyway. If for some reason I ever want one again I will do it from the states and just pop over for  visit for implementation. Mine was a waste of time and money in the first place because we left a couple months after I got mine and spent the bulk of the year in the states. 

I don't have a problem if you are making a choice not to finish the process - as long as you are not trying to avoid the process by doing something under the table.

I don't understand the comment about more extensive ECC - I go to the airport - my wife and I pay the Travel Tax, then we go to Passport Control she gets stamped at one window - I go to another pay between 2550 and 2850 depending on how often I have left the country in any particular calendar year - Yeah it sucks to have to pay that exit fee and if I traveled to and from the Philippines a lot I would consider something else too - but I am lucky if I leave the country once a year.

But I don't have to go to BI and fill out any documentation there - Or are you speaking of something else?