Sign in to follow this  
NHANORAK

Do You Give To Beggars?

CebuKano

I give according to the circumstances. The way I look at it my giving a few pesos to a begger is not going to break me. Whatever my donated money buys is none of my business after I give it to them. It's no longer "my" money. Sometimes I would like to think that if I was down on my luck I would want someone to at least consider helping me out one way or the other. This goes double here where there is really no meaningful social net to help all the people that really need it. Have I ever been "ripped off"? Not in my mind because I gave the money in good faith. As far as there being a law against it, I very highly doubt that it will ever be enforced, most especially against a foreigner here in the RP.

It's just a personal choice.

• Like 8

Irenicus

I don't, but my better half does (her own money, not mine).

Guess that is why she is my better half.

:)

InternetTough

I never give money or even food to a minor. I am paranoid about the worst construction somehow being put on my actions. I know that it is illegal on the face of it, as well. I also am nervous about encouraging a minor to beg, as it is possible that the minor might be distracted from school by the money made by begging. Also, i worry that a minor might use the money to buy drugs. In Korea, mothers never minded that English teachers would buy their children snacks, but even wealthy mothers would get angry if an English teacher gave her child some money. Money is power, and parents want to be able to control that money flow. Money can have a bad effect on a kid's life.

As for adult beggars, I don't judge them. In California, I got to know an old woman who was born in 1916. She told me the story of her life. She had been "homeless" for seven years. She was married in 1935, then her husband...well, this is a G-rated forum, so all I can say is that her husband was an insane pig of a man, and they ended up getting divorced---at his instigation. Since this was "the good old days", he got the kid. She wanted to go back to her birth home, but just then her mother was found at the bottom of a well. No one knew if it was suicide, an accident, or murder. She didn't want to live with her father, and she just got the idea, "I'd like to go to California." She was in New Hampshire. Well, she "rode the rails" for a while, sometimes working at diners when she could. Later, she hitchhiked. She ended up going all over the USA. It wasn't until WWII that she could find a regular job at a war factory in San Francisco, where she ended up staying until the 1990s, getting married there.

Sometimes people just have catastrophic things that happen to them that overwhelm them, and once on the street, it has a tremendous momentum.

I imagine that in the Philippines, too, bad things happen to good people.

Edited by InternetTough
  • Like 1

dc3driver

wife does her thinking is it will bring good fortune on us ,,, 

in America she was somewhat shocked to see so many beggars at shopping center's

You must shop at Wal Mart a lot........:)

dc3driver

As has been stated, it is illegal to give to beggars. 

Personally, I would give them extra pizza or other food, and drink, that I would buy at restaurants, say - on Fuente Osmeña in the evenings. 

Giving food is certainly ok. There is an organized crime element attached to some of the kids that beg.

Paul

Giving food is certainly ok. There is an organized crime element attached to some of the kids that beg.

As long as I can remember, there has ALWAYS been a crime element attached to beggars in Cebu. This applies to both children and adults.

Haven't you folks ever noticed that, when you pass by someone (usually seated or laying on the concrete sidewalks) who appears as though they should be begging - but aren't? Those are the "true" homeless who would probably positively use your donations. 

• Like 7

NHANORAK

Haven't you folks ever noticed that, when you pass by someone (usually seated or laying on the concrete sidewalks) who appears as though they should be begging - but aren't? Those are the "true" homeless who would probably positively use your donations.

This is exactly what I feel. However, this is really the heart of the issue I'm interested in. If you donate to people who aren't begging, does this then encourage them to beg? Thats something I don't want to do,  its counter productive, and just adds to the list of beggars. My own view I suppose is that it really will it come down to the individual, circumstances, pride, a work ethic?

• Like 2

Dalis & Debs

We will give only food to beggars or anything but money. Sometimes we take the soaps and toothbrushes handed to us at our hotels and pass them out to the children with a few buns from the local bakery. We also take spare clothes to the city when we can and find someone who looks like they need them. Personalty, me, Dalis, I have given money only a couple of times when I was confronted by an old man with one eye, limbs missing etc in Feunte but that is very rare. I'm not Mother Theresa but helping out occasionally is not going to hurt and can actually make you feel some what better.

• Like 2

Dalis & Debs

You an also ask the kids to sing or something before you buy them food just so to encourage them to use their talents and skills to make money ;)

• Like 2

broden

you can't give to everyone no matter how much you may want to. we give a lot to charity .. in the streets i won't give anything to , what looks to me at least, to be an able bodied man. while i can't say i've never handed out cash to women and children in the states and over seas cause i have at times in the past i would much rather give them food or clothes and have done both many times.

in the states i'm a big believer in local charities where the money is given and used locally big or small ones we strongly support the salvation army for instance 

• Like 2

Davaoeno

You an also ask the kids to sing or something before you buy them food just so to encourage them to use their talents and skills to make money ;)

I sometimes pay so they will stop singing !! or banging their tin can like a drum lol

• Like 7

Baywak

I do not under any circumstances give to beggars!   When the bleeding heart liberal crap heads quit giving to them it will no longer be a gainful source of employment and they will stop.

A mother with a baby gets a few coins, the same mother with an injured baby gets a few more coins.   2+2=4  injure the baby to increase income.   Do you really want to be part of that?

If you give to a beggar in the PI's you are a criminal, I hope you get caught.    Whiner

Whew-whiner is a good name.

• Like 4

Skywalker

I bought a beer for a guy last night in my local bar.  He told me that Obama is a great President.

I figured he needed all the help he could get.

• Like 3

Baywak

I bought a beer for a guy last night in my local bar.  He told me that Obama is a great President.

I figured he needed all the help he could get.

The guy was correct and he got a free beer. :cool:

• Like 1

GoHuk

Like Skywalker, my actions depend upon the situation.  Like Paul I do give to those who are obviously in need and who may not be begging per se.

Coming home today at lunchtime was a good example of my inconsistency.  I gave to the old deformed man sitting on the sidewalk wall; he's obviously been maimed or was born like that.  He sometimes holds out his hand and is often in the same place  Then a kid jumped on the pillion of the tricycle and followed me into our carinderia when I arrived, asking for money.  He was chased out with a flea in his ear.