Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

Don't try to force filipina's...

Wolfpack

You might try reminding her that the kids eat free, or half off depending on age. Maybe that will help her to justify it. 

Its funny though, I used to find myself sometimes thinking just the opposite with girlfriends past - What a waste to bring them to a high end buffet like Shangrila if they are going to load up on rice, lechon and sinigang.  You can buy a lot of that shit for 2800PHP. Thankfully my wife passes on that stuff when other quality food is available so its a non issue for me now. But I find some of my friends thinking that way when I suggest 5 or 6 couples go somewhere like that. And I can't blame them really. Kind of like slamming down shots of a good single malt. You can, but why the hell would you? 

40 percent discount of a 1750 buffet for a 6 year old...not the greatest of deals...not quite a selling point...

Paul

I think taking my wife to Blu Bar and Grill at Marco Polo...has an impact on her thinking (in fact, I know it does)...

If we are going to spend "crazy" money on a meal...it should be a good meal on a special occasion...

The Marco Polo Christmas Eve buffet was supposed to have prime rib...that is what was advertised in the flyer they sent to our room...when they did not offer prime rib...and the beef they offered was not good...she was upset at the price we paid for the food we received...did not matter to her, all the other food the buffet offered...she had her taste buds set for the prime rib...and it left her disappointed...and upset, we paid so much money for a meal she did not enjoy...

She would rather cook a entire turkey at home...and have leftovers to eat the next day...

This is an ongoing conversation...see, I am listening...

From the day I retired, the ONE thing I said I would NEVER budget, is dining out. I can, instead, budget every other aspect of my life around our diet. I will eat good quality food. When I go to a restaurant, I look at the left side of the menu. I do not pay attention to the right side. I don't care what the cost is, as long as I am having a quality meal and as long as I enjoyed it.

Food for the house is budgeted similarly - not at all. We buy what we need to restock the shelves. When we are hungry, we eat, and eat good. I can cut back on the power bill. I can rent a smaller / cheaper place. But, I will never short change myself on what I wish to eat. 

Been that way for many years - too many to change now.

• Like 2

Wolfpack

From the day I retired, the ONE thing I said I would NEVER budget, is dining out. I can, instead, budget every other aspect of my life around our diet. I will eat good quality food. When I go to a restaurant, I look at the left side of the menu. I do not pay attention to the right side. I don't care what the cost is, as long as I am having a quality meal and as long as I enjoyed it.

Food for the house is budgeted similarly - not at all. We buy what we need to restock the shelves. When we are hungry, we eat, and eat good. I can cut back on the power bill. I can rent a smaller / cheaper place. But, I will never short change myself on what I wish to eat. 

Been that way for many years - too many to change now.

I totally agree...

One thing that frustrates me though...is paying good money...and not getting a good meal...

In the Philippines, paying a good price...does not mean you are going to get good service...or a good product...be it food or otherwise...and they don't appear to care...

Salty Dog

You might try reminding her that the kids eat free, or half off depending on age. Maybe that will help her to justify it. 

Its funny though, I used to find myself sometimes thinking just the opposite with girlfriends past - What a waste to bring them to a high end buffet like Shangrila if they are going to load up on rice, lechon and sinigang.  You can buy a lot of that shit for 2800PHP. Thankfully my wife passes on that stuff when other quality food is available so its a non issue for me now. But I find some of my friends thinking that way when I suggest 5 or 6 couples go somewhere like that. And I can't blame them really. Kind of like slamming down shots of a good single malt. You can, but why the hell would you? 

I noticed when we go to the Radisson Blu buffet, that all the Koreans just ate Korean food and most Filipino's ate Filipino food. If it's Italian night, I want Italian food. Not rice or noodles. Like you say, why pay P800 (I only go on half price nights)  for food you can get anywhere for less than P100. 

When I go to another country, like Thailand, i want Thai food, not Western food.

Looking forward to my trip to Singapore. They have such a great variety of food there.  Of course I will buy a couple of Subway Sandwiches at the airport for the trip home.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

Wolfpack

I noticed when we go to the Radisson Blu buffet, that all the Koreans just ate Korean food and most Filipino's ate Filipino food. If it's Italian night, I want Italian food. Not rice or noodles. Like you say, why pay P800 (I only go on half price nights)  for food you can get anywhere for less than P100. 

When I go to another country, like Thailand, i want Thai food, not Western food.

Looking forward to my trip to Singapore. They have such a great variety of food there.  Of course I will buy a couple of Subway Sandwiches at the airport for the trip home.

man I could go for a quality sub...

• Like 1

Paul

Of course I will buy a couple of Subway Sandwiches at the airport for the trip home.

You just reminded me of another reason I do miss Thailand.

Wolfpack

Thailand has Subway?

Salty Dog

Thailand has Subway?

Both Thailand and Singapore had them. I think Manila also has a few. I often thought it might be a good to open one here in Cebu.

There are 3 just at Singapore Airport.

My wife also loves Subway.

Edited by Salty Dog

SkyMan

I think Manila also has a few. I often thought it might be a good to open one here in Cebu.

Yes and no. We went to one in Mall of Asia and were disappointed. If the same place were in the US it would close fast with lots of unhappy customers. The ingredients just aren't available at the price needed for Subway to do business as usual here.

I agree with your wife BR. Especially about the Prime Rib bait and switch. The flyer probably had a picture of a nice juicy red Prime Rib and you got the local burnt shoe leather. I probably would have caused a scene.

• Like 1

Half Baked

Singapore Airport also had a Burger King. Didn't get to try it.

Salty, do the food hawkers stalls everywhere.... you will be happy! Get to Little India, if you like Indian food.

Monsoon

The Subway tasted better in Thailand than it does here in the Philippines. I ate at the one across from my hotel in Soi LK Metro the last time I was in Pattaya every damn day!  Here I really couldn't tell you the last time I had Subway. Not during this visit thats for sure. 

Edited by Monsoon

Monsoon

Singapore Airport also had a Burger King. Didn't get to try it.

I can't believe they haven't done a BK in Cebu yet. There are BKs in most every mall and even in the rest areas on the expressways here in the metro Manila area! One at the airport too in T3.

In Vietnam there was a BK at Hanoi and Saigon airports. In fact it was the only western fast food joint I saw at both airports. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

Half Baked

I've always preferred flame-broiled to the other. Being from Texas, always had to have the Mustard Whopper, of course.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

My favorite Subway Italian BMT or Spicy Italian.  Only 900 calories. Screw rise...

subway_ItalianBMT_D_805502a.jpg

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1