A+ and PHILHEALTH underwater ?

My girl told me PhilHealth is way in arrears. Besides that or maybe due to that they are going to raise rates.

I have been dealing with a broker from AOC and according to him, everybody in the industry is concerned that A+ can make good on their future claims. I guess their reserves took a big hit lately.

That would suck to pay for coverage but not be covered due to failure of the insurer. I might stick to U.S. companies that do expat insurance. Should have more recourse. Then again I might just keep my BCBS from my ex employer. It's $273 a month $1300 deductible and they say they will cover inpatient care there in the Phils. I plan on coming back in May for a month so I could set up all my annual visits for cardio stress test and check up, Endocrinologist, skin doc and get my annual physical from my general. I think I can even load up   on 3 months of prescriptions now and 7 months later in May. For the money, IMO It definitely beats the shit out of all those expat plans with the pre-existing coverage and no outpatient coverage. I figure except for outpatient care there in the Phils I will spend about $ 4,600 this year. I know this insurance has no Medivac benefits.

Not sure of there was a question in your post. I hadn't heard anything about Philhealth having financial difficulties. It is an extraordinarily inexpensive insurance option. However, there are are limitations as to coverage. There are extensive posts about the coverage and such in the forum. The one biggest advantage for many is that having Philhealth is helpful when being admitted to a hospital. With Philhealth the hospital has assurances of some settlement from the patient.

Your BCBS coverage may be excellent for the price. That depends, of course, on your financial situation. I would check to be certain coverage extends to overseas treatments. BCBS has policies here and what I recall was that they have different coverages from the coverage they offer in the USA. Kinda like having a Pizza Hut meal here. May look the same, but tastes different.

I have considered Philhealth as an inexpensive backup to my current insurance. Problem is that when claims are filed, there is a "sharing" of costs between the insurers and that means I have to settle the Philhealth coverage before I can get a claim processed. So, I may end up waiting weeks/months for the red tape to process here before I see any money.

Yeah was hoping to get the A+ Essential with $1350 deductible for $853 PER YEAR. I have pre-existing conditions so I need them to accept me and then they will only pay out up to $500,000 which is not much by US standards. but maybe over in SE Asia it is fine. I don't know but I am scrutinizing that number.  Of course I don't expect to ever need that much care at least in the near future but you never know. I do like the deductible and the price but again I got to be accepted and the $500k. yeah does suck that you gotta get reimbursed from the carriers instead of the hospitals dealing directly with them. LOL I think if it's a planned procedure you can maybe avoid all that but don't know.

OK I really didn't see what she was talking about when I GOOGLED P H but I did see they raised their rates a hair. Seems like the people are ready to revolt. If they only really knew.

I've lived here a while and had an insurance coverage from a non-Philippino provider. I have been quite pleased with the coverage and I can accept the condition that it is pay first and file a claim larger process. I'd be glad to offer adovd or opinions about your coverage. Unfortunately, I am clueless about the insurance you are referring to.

If you have an insurance coverage which meets your needs, maybe that is what you should stay with. Costs here are generally lower than in the USA as you refer to.

If you have an ex employer willing to extend your coverage, maybe it is a better option to stick with that. Some insurance companies will be hard to go back to once you abandon the coverage you have been provided based upon employment.

When you refer to a planned procedure, I am guessing you mean a medical process you know in advance, rather than emergency. I doubt that will make any difference as to the process of providing payment. From what I have experienced and reading from others, pay first, get reimbursed later.

The cap of coverage of $500,000 is likely to cover most really serious issues. The problem would be to have a way to cover that cost and claim it later.

What is this AOC you refer to and the A+ ?

AOC  is a broker based in Paris, Thailand and HK. I guess they compete with Broker Fish.

A+ International is discussed here frequently. They insure expats. They are a partnership between several companies and Allianz being the largest.

my needs ? Well maybe you can tell me because you use PhilHealth. 

I need to get bloodwork done a couple times a year to check my numbers, especially A1C and Cholesterol but the usual suspects too. I go to the testing and diagnostic centers for that (PH discounts ?). Say 3 times a year.

I like to get a real Physical once a year.

Maybe every year or every other year get a Cardio stress test.

I had skin cancer before so should be perused for stuff especially over there. Last but not least is my pharmacy regimen.

I take 3 generics (Metformin, Atenelol and Atorvastatin)   AND   1  name brand (Diovan).

Right now at this moment I am thinking Phil Health and A+ if they will take me. The pharmacy stuff I don't think is bad but only sort of checked it out. The diagnostic centers I think are pretty cheap too. So PH  about $50 a year (200 php a month ???)  and $853 a year for A+ and say a $1,000 at the most for the rest. Seems a lot cheaper than $4,600 that's a lot less than BCBS would cost me. What do you think about all this ?

Back home if I come back to live I'll just go ACA. Healthcare.gov.  Premium is about the same but the deductible is way higher. ($6,000 vs $1,300) Hey gotta pay to play so I will definitely consider just going all in with the idea I can get back on the insurance without worry of my pre ex's.

If I was much older (57), I'd probably want something more than the A+ $500k plan but right now I think its fine.

So again your opinion of costs for outpatient stuff if I have PH ?

thanks

Edited by fluke
CebuKano

My wife and I are both covered by PhilHealth (and two other systems) by her employer and she has not heard anything negative about PhilHealth. The company covers 100% of the cost so perhaps that's why nothing has filtered down. Interesting though and worth following the story.

stevensanph

Phil health is a government mandated health scheme which all employees pay into by law. The rates were raised about 4 months ago. They can't go out of business as they are not a business...

I don't have Philhealth coverage. Many relatives of mine have it and we get it for the our employees. There is little or mo coverage for medicines. That can be a major part of a medical bill. It is not uncommon for people to desperately seek money to pay for the medicines while the doctor bills and hospitalization is covered. There are many posts in the forum about costs of medicines. You might get a better idea of that with some research. Medicines are not particularly cheap here if you use name brands. Generics are cheaper though as is true elsewhere.

As to the outpatient costs, I'll ask others about Philhealth coverage.

It does not surprise me that there is a rumor about Philhealth having financial difficulties. I've never heard anything of the sort. Seems to be pretty solvent and is a nationwide coverage run by the government.

You can get an idea of what a physical will cost by using a website of some of the major hospitals here. They will typically post a price range for "executive check ups" based upon what sort of exams they provide. These will usually include an overnight stay as part of the package.

I don't have an opinion of your plan. I am married and have a family, so my needs are different than what you are describing.

My girl told me PhilHealth is way in arrears. Besides that or maybe due to that they are going to raise rates.

I have been dealing with a broker from AOC and according to him, everybody in the industry is concerned that A+ can make good on their future claims. I guess their reserves took a big hit lately.

That would suck to pay for coverage but not be covered due to failure of the insurer. I might stick to U.S. companies that do expat insurance. Should have more recourse. Then again I might just keep my BCBS from my ex employer. It's $273 a month $1300 deductible and they say they will cover inpatient care there in the Phils. I plan on coming back in May for a month so I could set up all my annual visits for cardio stress test and check up, Endocrinologist, skin doc and get my annual physical from my general. I think I can even load up   on 3 months of prescriptions now and 7 months later in May. For the money, IMO It definitely beats the shit out of all those expat plans with the pre-existing coverage and no outpatient coverage. I figure except for outpatient care there in the Phils I will spend about $ 4,600 this year. I know this insurance has no Medivac benefits.

Where do you get your info about A+international ?

Or is it just bla bla bla

S

A broker at AOC. They sell A+ and also something called NOW. He was advising that one, NOW

Needs: Expatriate

Destination: Philippines

Name: David Cerrelli

E-mail: [email protected]

Phone or Skype: +1 443-223-8305

Plan holder: 24/06/1956

Dependant:

Nationality: American

Children:

Dear Mr Cerelli,

Please see below In-patient plan with all available deductibles. Note that NOW HEALTH coverage is higher than A+ (3 millions USD against 500 000 USD), as well as stability, sustainability and service. A+ coverage also been reduced to ASEAN only (Now Health cover Worlwide)

As an NOW health insured myself I definitely recommend you this excellent solution for its professionalism and level of coverage. Indeed thanks to their Hong-Kong office, recognized Asian experience, stable premium (following medical inflation), and high reactivity they offer one of the very best service quality in the area. Premium/ benefit/ service ratio is the highest among all regional players

A+ is also a regional expert, offering good coverage but sustainability is currently a question heavily debated among local professionals.

The premium:

Deductible

PREMIUM

A+ Essentiel

NIL

$         2 095

$              675

$         1 431

$           1 350

$            853

NOW HEALTH ESSENTIAL

NIL

$         2 661

$           1 000

$         2 395

$           2 500

$         2 262

$           5 000

$         1 996

$         10 000

$         1 730

$         15 000

$         1 464

Documentation

NOW HEALTH

I AM GOING TO CHECKOUT      I M G    AND       SEVEN CORNERS. THERE ARE A COUPLE OTHER OPTIONS TOO. IF I FIND ANYTHING INTERESTING I'LL KEEP YOU ALL INFORMED.

S

A broker at AOC. They sell A+ and also something called NOW. He was advising that one, NOW

Needs: Expatriate

Destination: Philippines

Name: David Cerrelli

E-mail: [email protected]

Phone or Skype: +1 443-223-8305

Plan holder: 24/06/1956

Dependant:

Nationality: American

Children:

Dear Mr Cerelli,

Please see below In-patient plan with all available deductibles. Note that NOW HEALTH coverage is higher than A+ (3 millions USD against 500 000 USD), as well as stability, sustainability and service. A+ coverage also been reduced to ASEAN only (Now Health cover Worlwide)

As an NOW health insured myself I definitely recommend you this excellent solution for its professionalism and level of coverage. Indeed thanks to their Hong-Kong office, recognized Asian experience, stable premium (following medical inflation), and high reactivity they offer one of the very best service quality in the area. Premium/ benefit/ service ratio is the highest among all regional players

A+ is also a regional expert, offering good coverage but sustainability is currently a question heavily debated among local professionals.

The premium:

Deductible

PREMIUM

A+ Essentiel

NIL

$         2 095

$              675

$         1 431

$           1 350

$            853

NOW HEALTH ESSENTIAL

NIL

$         2 661

$           1 000

$         2 395

$           2 500

$         2 262

$           5 000

$         1 996

$         10 000

$         1 730

$         15 000

$         1 464

Documentation

NOW HEALTH

I AM GOING TO CHECKOUT      I M G    AND       SEVEN CORNERS. THERE ARE A COUPLE OTHER OPTIONS TOO. IF I FIND ANYTHING INTERESTING I'LL KEEP YOU ALL INFORMED.

i had IMG 2 different years they give you a low 1st year and the 2nd year they go up like 60 or 70% that happened two times with me. I would never go with IMG again

i had IMG 2 different years they give you a low 1st year and the 2nd year they go up like 60 or 70% that happened two times with me. I would never go with IMG again

So should I consider them for 1 or maybe 2 years and be ready to start shopping ? I will remember what you said . Thanks Bill.

Nobody knows Seven Corners ?

A lot of these companies are UNDERWRITTEN BY NATIONWIDE. Is that good or bad ?

bulldoggy26_cute

I was ready to take IMG but I found this topic... I might also reconsider my choice and combine A+ and PhilHeath..

I was ready to take IMG but I found this topic... I might also reconsider my choice and combine A+ and PhilHeath..

Thats exactly what i did is i went with A+ International and phil health

So should I consider them for 1 or maybe 2 years and be ready to start shopping ? I will remember what you said . Thanks Bill.

Nobody knows Seven Corners ?

A lot of these companies are UNDERWRITTEN BY NATIONWIDE. Is that good or bad ?

It doesnt pay to keep changing health insurance carriers because you have limited coverage for first two years. They can say you have an existing condition in first two years