Looking for supplier of steel decking for 2nd floor slab.

riklynbor

riklynbor

Hello everyone, I am looking for steel decking to pour my second floor slab on.

Maybe one of you has searched out the best supplier already.

I would need it shipped to Maasin city Southern Leyte.

We could not make it in 2013 but will certainly go this year.

I want my carpenter to lay the slab so I can start the walls when I get there.

Thanks

+*************

post-14249-0-90389200-1389313160_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-50444100-1389313678_thumb.jpg

Edited by SkyMan
Please don't post phone numbers on the forum.
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• riklynbor

• D_D

• Headshot

• fred42

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you made a French Drain ? Good thinking. You for sure know what you are doing.    Most people don't use a moisture barrier, but you still have time to add it before you pour your floor. If I go t

My septic tank and water from submersible pump. I did not like the way they buil form works so designed and made my own. You can see my upright form behind me in one of the pictures It took us 5 we

Against my advice they are over propping anyway. The steel only needs one in the middle as it is only a 2800 span.   Hehehe yep you may ask. They are already closed of. They went around with bucke

Posted Images

Headshot

My contractor, Ben Simbajon, used formed steel floor decking in our house. I don't know who the supplier is, but it is obviously available here in Cebu. Look in the "where to find-services" forum under contractors for his contact information.

post-6379-0-53382500-1389314948_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Vic Enterprises
Address: MJ Cuenco Avenue corner F. Gochan Street, Cebu City, Cebu
Phone:(032) 232 1720

I buy a lot of material for Vic Enterprises, it is more like a contractors supply, rather than a home store. So don't expect the people at the counter to know what the material is used for. You have to know exactly what you want and the quantity. You pay and they give you the receipt to pick up the order at the warehouse. 

After shipping cost, did you price what it would cost buying in Maasin city Southern Leyte rather than buying in Cebu ? What is the price difference ? 

( I was in Maasin City in 2006 to help with the Search and Rescue efforts of the Guinsaugon village Land Slide
Edited by D_D
  • Like 1
riklynbor

Thanks for the info. I will compare the prices later today.

Problem at the moment is getting contact numbers for the limited hardware places in Maasin.

I sent Tatay to talk to them later today. They also know me and always up the price compared to the locals.

They are only small hardware stores and would have to get it in from Cebu also.

Last time I was there they did not have decking or steel wall studs.

Thanks for the info. I will compare the prices later today.

Problem at the moment is getting contact numbers for the limited hardware places in Maasin.

I sent Tatay to talk to them later today. They also know me and always up the price compared to the locals.

They are only small hardware stores and would have to get it in from Cebu also.

Last time I was there they did not have decking or steel wall studs.

Ask Vic Enterprises if they can ship FOB ( explain in local dilect ) or know of a wholesale buying going to Maasin City. 

Vic is where the wholesale buyers supplying all the small stores buy at. I see trucks loaded way above any normal load limits buying supplies that are destined for the provinces.  

If you don't mind me asking... 

What was your plan once you bought the material to get it to Leyte ?

Do you have your own truck to haul and transport the material ? Or did you plan to rent one ? 

• Like 1
riklynbor

I normaly get them to take things to Ferry 1 at the docks and ship it with Cokaliong ferries straight to Cebu.

If you buy something they normaly do not mind taking it there. We purchased a fridge and airconditioner last year over the phone and they delivered it to the ferry for us. My brother inlaw picked the units up from Maasin ferry and took them home for me.

I am going to buy a small truck next year so I can pick things up myself. And yes I have driven in the Philippines before :-)

I am planing double wall construction with hollow block outside and stud wall inside. But not 100% sure yet. I designed the posts to be the right dimensions for that.

In the end it will be 2 floors and attic so 3 levels. I have permits for 4 floors but after the last Earthquakes desided not to go that high.

I already have a 6 inch bore out back for water supply. All the plumbing and septics are done also.

riklynbor

My septic tank and water from submersible pump.

I did not like the way they buil form works so designed and made my own.

You can see my upright form behind me in one of the pictures

It took us 5 weeks to get this far into the build.

post-14249-0-63438800-1389330949_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-22574000-1389331083_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-34143000-1389331154_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-00319400-1389331346_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My septic tank and water from submersible pump.

I did not like the way they buil form works so designed and made my own.

You can see my upright form behind me in one of the pictures

It took us 5 weeks to get this far into the build.

Those columns and beams look great ! Looks like you know what you are doing. Nice job so far. 

Did you use a vibrator ? 

That is a nice power tamper, did you use or planning a Polyethylene Vapor barrier under the 1st floor before you pour concrete ? 

You may also want to try 

CEBU ATLANTIC HARDWARE 
Subangdaku, Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines
Phone: +63(32)3462665

Central Lumber Corporation  
Highway, Tipolo 6014 ‎
(032) 345 4234 ‎

Mandaue Trade Center
Lopez Jaena St
Mandaue City
(032) 346 8643

They are all along the same road but some are in stock and some are out of stock Sir. 

I was trying buy corner bead and no one had anything in stock, ( maybe because no one uses it here ). They were trying to pass off normal angle on me telling me it was "corner" bead. After going to all 4 places, Central said they had it at another location but did'nt have any samples to show me. So they ordered me some and I will pick it up on Monday. If it turns out to be normal angle I am going to flip on them ! 

• Like 1
riklynbor

Firstly thanks for the compliment and I am happy with rhe job also.

I have worked in many fields of construction building extentions here in Australia.

Sadly I could not find a vibrator but have ordered one for the next floor.

I payed a couple of people to keep tapping my formworks with rubber hammers and it worked for most part.

I used a 123 mix throughout the job and so far used 400 bags cement or 16 ton lol.

The underground footings are huge.

We used a 1 to 5 mix in the hollow block machine and they had never used blocks you could not break but had to use diamond saw to cut.

Your last question is a sore point with me as I could not find any construction sheeting to lay under my floor :-(

The house is up in the hills in the Forrest so I hope I should have no problems.

I may paint on a moisture barrier before I lay tiles.

No point to get angry or flip it won't help any been there done that.

I to will use cornice with my suspended gyprock ceilings.

I alread have all the LED ceiling downlights lol.

Thanks for the hardware contacts.

Regards Rik

post-14249-0-22485500-1389351052_thumb.jpg

Sadly I could not find a vibrator but have ordered one for the next floor.

I payed a couple of people to keep tapping my formworks with rubber hammers and it worked for most part.

Your last question is a sore point with me as I could not find any construction sheeting to lay under my floor :-(

The house is up in the hills in the Forrest so I hope I should have no problems.

I may paint on a moisture barrier before I lay tiles.

Yeah it looks like the rubber hammers worked because I don't see any air pockets in the pictures of the columns. 

In the back of your picture, it shows your house is below the grade above. You could have moisture seeping up with the run off from the hill above. 

The moisture barrier paint may crack over time and would be an option in if was a renovation that already had a moisture barrier installed. But since this is a new build why cut corners now by not installing a moisture barrier. 

I think you already know you will need plastic sheeting and may have to get creative to find some. 

Have you planning on using 3 D panels for the walls ? 

I used them because of the R-value of thermal resistance. So much better than CHB. The house will for sure stay cooler if there is any direct sun light on the walls. They also go up a lot faster than CHB. 

Can you post the blueprints of the columns and footings.

Did you consider seismic specs ? 

There is another on going thread about what the specs should be for support columns of a concrete deck.

riklynbor

Yes the house does have a higher gradient on one side only but I installed a drain there just like there will be on all sides of the house. There is a ditch and in the ditch is a slotted drain pipe covered in gravel. In the picture you can just see the ditch.

Sadly nobody had ever heard of laying a barrier under a slab in Maasin city and the foreman insisted it was not necessary. I did try to find some but sadly I could not. I fired him not long after for reducing the mix of my post concrete. I used a 1+2+3 mix everywhere and that should be quite water proof.

Yes I have considered 3D panels but I am unsure of the available supplies.

Are they widely available? What is their cost.

My last thoughts were using concrete tilt up panels.

I brought my own blueprints from Australia but were not acceptable so I had a architect re draw them to suit Philippines specifications. He told me that the house was up to seismic specifications.

We had some bad earthquakes since then and there is not even a little crack anywhere.

On the drawing the posts are 200x200 but for me that was too small so now they are 250x250 and the corner posts are 250x300x300x250x50x50 :-) i made form that is shaped to go around the corner.

The beams are 250x450 we used a shit load of rebar. Check pictures.

The rebar post you see in one of the pictures is for my corner shape post.

I am over 100kg and could walk on the rebar beams before they had concrete form around them.

Our build is totally in accordance with local building regulations and all required dues paid.

Building permit is painted on the front beam.

My sister in-law could not find any steel decking at any construction suppliers here in Maasin city but one is pricing some for me and I will compare the price against Cebu prices.

post-14249-0-11656000-1389432619_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-14075700-1389432774_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-24481200-1389432795_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-11285500-1389432814_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-72914200-1389432839_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-50443300-1389432866_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-19310200-1389432886_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-05168800-1389434988_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-50423900-1389435202_thumb.jpg

Edited by riklynbor
  • Like 1

There is a ditch and in the ditch is a slotted drain pipe covered in gravel. In the picture you can just see the ditch.

Sadly nobody had ever heard of laying a barrier under a slab in Maasin city and the foreman insisted it was not necessary. I did try to find some but sadly I could not. 

Yes I have considered 3D panels but I am unsure of the available supplies.

Are they widely available? What is their cost.

My last thoughts were using concrete tilt up panels.

We had some bad earthquakes since then and there is not even a little crack anywhere.

Our build is totally in accordance with local building regulations and all required dues paid.

So you made a French Drain ? Good thinking. You for sure know what you are doing. 

Most people don't use a moisture barrier, but you still have time to add it before you pour your floor. If I go to any supply houses this week, I will see if they have anything here. How much do you think you will need ? 

Eastern Wire in Manila sells EVG-3D Construction Systems , I am not sure of Cebu because I built my own. 

The contractor at one of my condo buildings I have some units in used tilt up concrete panels and I think they are crap, a lot of cracks at the seams ( but that may be cause of half ass building techniques ) and they are not sound proof at all. I can hear most everything in the condo next door. They do have polystyrene pellets mixed in to make them lighter but I am not sure how good they are for insulation. I would not use them in my personal house I built.

You won't notice the earth quake damage until the entire house is up and all the walls and floor is one.  After the 7.8 Earthquake we have in November, it was evident who prepared for an earthquake and who did'nt. I would think and hope the current building codes are increased and respected before they are tested again with an even bigger earthquake. 

Looking at your blueprints and pictures, your specs look are for sure in accordance with local building regulations, but that is not saying much of what the Philippines codes require. Not that they even inspect the work after you submit for a permit to build. 

Nice to see quality work and design, your house will be there for your future generations to enjoy. Congrats. 

• Like 2
riklynbor

Thanks for the kind answers D.D.

Problem is normaly nobody seems to know what a french drain is so I described it for them.

But the floor was poured a long time ago even before the beams.

I wanted the floor in so it was easier to support the beam form work.

I brought my lazer level system with me to keep it all level.

I also put in all the under slab plumbing I dont like the way they build floors higher in wet areas in Philippines so they can put drains in.

I was quite proud of the floor as it holds no water puddles after it rains.

You can see this in one picture just after some rain.

The locals laughed when I made a screed from a length of rhs aluminum but they are not laughing now.

They also thought my form works were never going to work but they love the design now.

I had big crouds waiting for them to break they even had bets.

Dont forget I already have posts and beams I am just thinking of standing concrete panels in the void.

I am also putting in a double wall so noise will be minimal and well insulated.

There are many design flows in the blueprints like the size of the posts and the stairs in the bathroom over the toilet etc etc but I saw them and rectified them after. I just needed plans approved.

I won't be back till the end of the year to continue the build.

I did not find anybody who I trusted enough to continue building to my standards in my absence.

I am hoping with steel decking they should not stuff up a second floor slab.

This would give me less work when I arrive. Steel decking with a 100mm slab on top with a 1+2+3 mix should be plenty strong. The biggest span is only 3.5 meters.

Regards Rik

post-14249-0-03058700-1389458353_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-01235500-1389458466_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-56391100-1389458513_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-49133800-1389460357_thumb.jpg

post-14249-0-21711500-1389460418_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind answers D.D.

But the floor was poured a long time ago even before the beams.

I wanted the floor in so it was easier to support the beam form work.

I brought my lazer level system with me to keep it all level.

There are many design flows in the blueprints like the size of the posts and the stairs in the bathroom over the toilet etc etc but I saw them and rectified them after. I just needed plans approved.

I won't be back till the end of the year to continue the build.

I did not find anybody who I trusted enough to continue building to my standards in my absence.

Regards Rik

Ohh ok. These are old pictures. Yeah so I guess if you already have your first slab poured an under polyurethane moisture barrier is too late, but possible too put a rubber membrane ( expensive ). 

I am surprised they knew how to use the laser level. If I have a new worker and am bored I hand them my  Hilti PD-40 Range Meter and tell them to give me an accurate measurement. I let them mess with it and come back and ask them what the measurement is. Most can turn it on, but that is it. 

I really can't see the blueprints clearly because they are too small. What are your specs for your electric panel ? 100 amp ? One thing I had a big problem was some the electric conduit in my walls and deck being clogged with cement, so better to pull wire before.

I don't see any conduit or pull boxes in your deck or columns. So I guess you are going run conduit or wiremold exposed ? Hard to find pipe benders here so I had to bring over my own.  Philippine style is to chip out the walls AFTER to install the electric... that is sooooo stupid. I did see some nice pipe bending work at one of my condo buildings, but I have also seen a lot of crap. Pipe bending is an art form, something I really enjoy doing. 

Yeah I am even worried when I leave my project for more than a day to go to the city to buy material. There is NO WAY I would leave the project for an extended amount of time with out knowing for sure it would be messed up ! 

Hello everyone, I am looking for steel decking to pour my second floor slab on.

Maybe one of you has searched out the best supplier already.

Ohhhh I remember now the place I was thinking of. 

You can for sure buy the deck from Union Galvanized Steel

I have bought them before and the quality is good.