Bataan

davedude

That would be quite a walk! I'm a sort of a history buff and WW2 fascinates me. My Uncle Gerard was killed below decks when a kamakaze and bombs struck the stern of the USS Bunker Hill off Okinawa May 11, 1945. I have a M1 Garand rifle made in that month I keep in his honor. WW2 touched my family personally.

One of my trips to the Philippines included a side trip to Corregedor, where I paid my respects and learned about the conflict there. During another trip I toured every Battle of Bataan marker and shrine I could find on the Bataan penisula. Alongside the death march road are white  "Death March" mile markers so as you go south along the road you can count down to mile marker zero, which is ----guess what-----a big copy of an M1 Garand stuck in the ground by it's bayonet. There is a giant cross on some mountain I forget the name of, but it is a must see, you can go up in it via elevator and look out over the Bataan penisula from one side to the other. Athe the same site is a building that has the best accounting(all over the walls) of some of the Battle of Bataan I have ever seen, quite overwhelming. I took photos of it all. The battle there was so fierce no vegetation was left on the mountain afterwards. I am forever proud of the Americans and Filipinos who fought so bravely side by side against the Japanese army there.

I'd walk with you if I was there.

Dave Dude

• Like 2
goggleye

My father served in the philippines from the Palo beach invasion untill VJ day -  I've thought before japanese tourists who come should have to go to the American -Filipino national cemetery in Manila and see the rows of white crosses and watch a slide show before they can officially enter the country.    My future mother inlaw still cries about her parents both being hung in a tree by Japanese soldiers as suspected collaborators.

Edited by goggleye
  • Like 1
ROCO22

Quietest place in Manila...

post-678-0-51926900-1403225354_thumb.jpg

Corregidor...

post-678-0-29582300-1403225470_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Davaoeno

My father served in the philippines from the Palo beach invasion untill VJ day -  I've thought before japanese tourists who come should have to go to the American -Filipino national cemetery in Manila and see the rows of white crosses and watch a slide show before they can officially enter the country.    My future mother inlaw still cries about her parents both being hung in a tree by Japanese soldiers as suspected collaborators.

filipino war dead .  [ some of the 300,000 to  1 million killed ]  

The Philippine–American War (Filipino/TagalogDigmaang Pilipino-Amerikano) (1899–1902)[12] was an armed conflict between the United States and Filipino revolutionaries.

The conflict arose from the struggle of the First Philippine Republic to secure independence from the United States following the latter's acquisition of the Philippines from Spain after the Spanish–American War.[13][14] The war was a continuation of the Philippine struggle for independence that began in 1896 with the Philippine Revolution.

Edited by Davaoeno
samatm

Ya know its a great idea.   To start a commemorative  walk.    Get folks to sponsor you for every mile . donate the money to the Memorial or build new one or something.     It could become a thing.. if its not already being done. 

4thDan

Ya know its a great idea.   To start a commemorative  walk.    Get folks to sponsor you for every mile . donate the money to the Memorial or build new one or something.     It could become a thing.. if its not already being done. 

You want to get together and do that???? I've got the time....

goggleye

filipino war dead .  [ some of the 300,000 to  1 million killed ]  

The Philippine–American War (Filipino/TagalogDigmaang Pilipino-Amerikano) (1899–1902)[12] was an armed conflict between the United States and Filipino revolutionaries.

The conflict arose from the struggle of the First Philippine Republic to secure independence from the United States following the latter's acquisition of the Philippines from Spain after the Spanish–American War.[13][14] The war was a continuation of the Philippine struggle for independence that began in 1896 with the Philippine Revolution.

yes in my mind too   - americans perfected water boarding during that time  

contraman

This may interest you, Looks like the organising has been done.

http://www.bataanmarch.com/

samatm

You want to get together and do that???? I've got the time....

Sounds like a good idea ..however i am short on Time just now.   Keep up the dialog who knows..