Bataan

4thDan

Since I've been here I've very interested in walking the path of the Bataan Death March.  I wonder if anyone else would be interested in waking the whole way with me.  Would be quite an experience.  I'm an old geezer (LOL) but can still walk the legs off of those half my age.

Nangulo

It sounds like fun; certainly an experience.  What time-frame did you have in mind?

Headshot

Since I've been here I've very interested in walking the path of the Bataan Death March.  I wonder if anyone else would be interested in waking the whole way with me.  Would be quite an experience.  I'm an old geezer (LOL) but can still walk the legs off of those half my age.

You need to have somebody walking behind you and poking you with a samurai sword to give you some incentive to keep walking.

• Like 1
Half Baked
It sounds like fun

?

Sounds like sacrilege to me. Especially your post.

Edited by Half Baked
Davaoeno

Sounds like an extremely realistic reenactment is possibly going .to occur !!

You need to have somebody walking behind you and poking you with a samurai sword to give you some incentive to keep walking.

Keep walking?  You mean to stay alive.

Also, go a very long time with little sleep, then a few weeks before setting off, go on a starvation diet.

Oh yea, no food and very little water during the march.

I say this in jest as I don't think the OP wants to reenact the original march.  However, I think it would be a very difficult trek even with proper rest, food and water.  The heat here can be brutal and 80 miles in it is not to be taken lightly.

• Like 1
rfm010

if you are into running you could join the upcoming ultramarathon:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bataan-Death-March-102160-Ultra-Marathon-Race/172130766206034

from last years race:

http://bataan102.blogspot.com/p/race-route.html

these races take the long route starting in mariveles. 

i was recently on a family trip to bagac where you will find the zero km marker for the death march b route.  that route crosses the peninsula to balanga before meeting up with the longer route.   i would urge caution in walking the route primarily due to the danger from vehicles.  it is a very typical filipino road.  also from bagac to balanga is simply not an interesting drive let alone walk.  but the route from mariveles, more along the coast and along the older road (there is a "superhighway" running parallel to it now, that's where we drove from balanga up to the toll road) may be an interesting walk.

and why not do it if you are able?  bring someone who speaks filipino well and maybe you'll meet up with some old folk who remember the time.  my brother-in-law's wife's father was in the march and managed to escape before reaching san fernando.  he just passed away this year at age 90.  not so many of those folk left.

Nangulo
sacrilege

How so?  Never heard of a re-enactment being sacrilegious.

Never mind.  Just re-read.  I was not intimating that The March was in any way "fun," only that the re-enacting experience might be worthwhile.

Edited by Nangulo
4thDan

Tater, am sorry that you think it would be a sacrilege.  It isn't intended that way at all.  Have been a history buff of sorts for decades and the Bataan Death March is one of the more horrendous but little talked about events in US history.  My thought, idea and intent was that by walking the route it would bring a closer contact to the actual event, yes though it would be in a minuscule way.  My idea was NOT to degrade the sacrifice paid by those who died and even those who survived it.  I am sorry that you took my post in the manner that you did.  I presume that you would not be someone I would forward to seeing in Gettysburg in July either, because that would be a sacrilege?  Wow...sorry I made the post.  

• Like 2
SkyMan

Tater, am sorry that you think it would be a sacrilege. It isn't intended that way at all. Have been a history buff of sorts for decades and the Bataan Death March is one of the more horrendous but little talked about events in US history. My thought, idea and intent was that by walking the route it would bring a closer contact to the actual event, yes though it would be in a minuscule way. My idea was NOT to degrade the sacrifice paid by those who died and even those who survived it. I am sorry that you took my post in the manner that you did. I presume that you would not be someone I would forward to seeing in Gettysburg in July either, because that would be a sacrilege? Wow...sorry I made the post.

I think Tater's problem and mine was with the word 'fun' which Nangulo explained. I think it would be a humbling experience and not fun. It's something I'd like to do myself someday.

4thDan

I think Tater's problem and mine was with the word 'fun' which Nangulo explained. I think it would be a humbling experience and not fun. It's something I'd like to do myself someday.

Thank you for that.  And Tater, ain't upset with you dude.  Anyone that appreciates Ron White that much can't be all bad.  And yes, it isn't meant to be a "fun" trip.  80 miles is a long way with the comfort of water and food and being able to stop where and when you want.  An extremely small price to pay in respect of the original event.

certifiedfordtec

I think I read somewhere that they have a walk here in California down in the Mojave desert somewhere every year in remembrance of the Bataan march. If I remember right there usually are a lot of military in it. Maybe down at 29 Palms?

• 4 weeks later...
ed villas

I think I read somewhere that they have a walk here in California down in the Mojave desert somewhere every year in remembrance of the Bataan march. If I remember right there usually are a lot of military in it. Maybe down at 29 Palms?

its in NEW MEXICO not 29palms