Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

Solar Generation Installation and Maintenance

Cgu

My personal view: 

As I have openly stated before, whether on this forum, or the Living in Cambodia Forum, I would NEVER have a grid-tied system in either country, simply due to the nasty, fluxuating, irregular, and undependable power that is produced in both countries.

The power my solar array produces is clean, pure, DC voltage. My inverter, in turn, produces clean, reliable, pure AC voltage. (For those geeks who may decide to ask, no, I have not put it on an oscilloscope to check the wave. But, I would be happy to do so, if necessary.)

Yes, I agree with you. The advantage to be tied to the grid is that you do not lose any producing energy and are not time dependent. Off grid would be ideal, but you have to produce for the peak consumption. On grid you can produce constant your 1kwh for 12 hours and you are free of costs.

Of course this is the ideal... Otherwise there might be on option to put a regulator on the grid input... However it do not know how expensive that is...

thebob

A couple of guys in Moalboal have recently installed 3kw systems that they claim spin the meter backwards. I don't know the details but it would be nice to start with a small system with a large inverter and slowly add panels as your savings accumulate.

Paul

... it would be nice to start with a small system with a large inverter and slowly add panels as your savings accumulate

That's what I am doing. As soon as I get my MPPT controller - the "Kid", I will be able to increase the voltage of the array, while leaving the system at 12vdc. I will be buying 7 more panels, hopefully, before rainy season sets in. But, I am looking at another $1,000 USD just for the panels. So, it will take some time.

Cgu

That in Moalboal is interesting. I would like to know if this is "guerilla style" or they applied for it.

A couple of guys in Moalboal have recently installed 3kw systems that they claim spin the meter backwards. I don't know the details but it would be nice to start with a small system with a large inverter and slowly add panels as your savings accumulate.

Actually you can also use several small inverters, so that you can add to it, but it might come out more expensive.

thebob

That in Moalboal is interesting. I would like to know if this is "guerilla style" or they applied for it.

I'm not sure either. I'm in Japan at the moment but I'll try and find out in a couple of weeks when I return there.

Mikala

Having a whole house voltage regulator to clean up the power issues might or might not be advantageous. First you'd need to checkout what kind of voltages your system is seeing. If it's within 5% of what's expected (240V), then it shouldn't be much of an issue unless you're running an MRI or CT.

Too low of a voltage though, causes an increase in current. Increased current means that the heating inside of your appliances will also increase. Heating leads to early failure. This would especially apply to airconditioning and refrigeration.

Then there's the frequency 'issue'. I am sure the local utility is not requiring companies that have large motors (Air conditioning, elevators, etc..) to provide any compensatory circuit to prevent 'dirtying' the sinusoidal wave. Being off-grid or having a whole house voltage regulator would take care of that problem though.

Frequency problems generally affect sensitive electronics such as high end audio / video equipment. It's not really a factor with dull appliances such as washers, refrigerators or aircon.

I haven't take the time yet to check out what's going on with the local electricity. Someday I'll bring my metering equipment to Cebu and figure it out.

Edited by Mikala

Anonymous User

This is a very interesting topic.

Any updates? Please share and thank you.

Paul
Any updates?

Any of the membership is supposed to provide any updates, per the original post Bill (Headshot) made: 

So...if you know of a SOLAR GENERATION CONTRACTOR that you would recommend, please put their name (or the name of the company), whatever contact information you have, where they are located (town or city), and why you would recommend him. Also, if you know details or their work (like brands and types of solar system components used and quality of installation) please give that information as well.

thebob

It seems that the power company hasn't been told about these. What they don't know won't hurt them!

Anonymous User

But if it ends up with a negative reading by the end of the month, they will certainly know :D

It seems that the power company hasn't been told about these. What they don't know won't hurt them!

• Like 1

Anonymous User

I was hoping to get more information on setting one up as a power saver (minimize electric bills) than going totally off grid. I also was hoping to get more insights from VECO's net metering program

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/56593/six-veco-customers-avail-of-net-metering

Any of the membership is supposed to provide any updates, per the original post Bill (Headshot) made: 

Cgu

Contact this guy:

[email protected]

(His name is Tom)

I had an offer all in for 1kw grid tie system (including installation) for 140k . now he is offering it for 135k,

1kw is the minimum (you can add more as you need, just install enough capacity in all "common" elements like circuits etc. in the first place, otherwise you need to do it each time).

If you want more information from Veco contact the responsible person directly:

Richard Alfafara <[email protected]

He was very friendly and sent me all the forms etc. for application etc.

Edited by Cgu

Paul

[email protected]  

(His name is Tom)

Tommy Lee Tirey, apparently, is the owner of Cebu Solar. It is based in San Remigio.

I am under the impression he is an American Citizen. Doesn't look Filipino, by his photo. 

Cgu

I don¨t know him personally, but he seemed to be quite professional. Just talked to him once or twice on the phone. There are more in Cebu which offer such services. However, I got the best offer and best information from him.

(Note: I did not pushed through with the installation, but this ha nothing do to with the offering) 

• Like 1

noddle

Not sure if this is any help,

3 Years ago I had a 5KW grid tired system ( AUD $10.5K ) installed on my house here in Tasmania,

20 x 250W panels, 10 x APS YC500 microinverters, 1 x Gateway/ECU)

The last time i was in Davao, I was looking at costs for doing the same system there ( Philippines )

So I asked for a quote from

Solar Tech Enterprise,

123G JP Rizal Street, Project 4, Quezon City
(02) 5608542 fax (02) 8572579 mobile 09327634661
www.solartechphilippines.com
[email protected]

facebook   "NET Metering System - Philippines Solar Energy Advocates"

This is part of their reply,

Price Quotation:
System includes Complete Set of Components including Roof Top Rails and Mounting Clamps, Cables and Wires,
Installation, Monitoring Set up, and Commissioning.
1KW Single Phase PV Microinverter System
System Summary:
4 units PV Module 250W Renesola JC250M 24/Bb
2 units APS YC500 microinverters or 4 units Renesola Micro REplus
1unit Three Phase Energy Communication Unit ( ECU )/Gateway
End Caps, End Cables, Connectors
Monitoring Setup and Commissioning
System cost 1st KW ………………………………………………..P154,000.00
Each additional KW…………………………………………………….P134,000.00
5KW …………………………………………………………………………………..…P690,000.00
20 pcs Renesola Virtus II 250W,
20 units Micro Replus or 10 units YC500 APS microinverter, 1 Gateway/ECU)
ROI calculator for grid tied system ( without export to grid or 100% PV yield consumed):
Our 1KWp Microinverter system can yield an average of 120KWh to 150KWh per month or 1440
KWh to 1800 KWh in a year.
5KW microinverter grid tied system expects to yield 600 KWh up to 750 KWh monthly.
You will earn P7,500.00 up to P9,375.00 in your first month and the succeeding months.
At the current rate of P12.50KWh (Meralco) this will mean savings or electricity cost reduction of
about P90,000 up to P112,500 annually ( without export of solar energy or fully consumed solar
harvest)
Return of Investment of only +/-6 years. Above sample calculator is based on electricity savings from
the current Meralco rate of P12.50 per KWh, not taking into consideration the inevitable rate
increases within the 6 year period.
Both the Photovoltaic Modules and the microinverters have 10 years and 25 years warranty and
expected life span of more than 25 years. Benefit goes beyond the 6 year period with only the SUN as
fuel.

Nigel

Edited by noddle
  • Like 1