Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

Solar Generation Installation and Maintenance

Headshot

Since Skyman started a topic on house painters, it reminded me that I wanted to start topics on many subjects for services that that are often passed on word-of-mouth. In other words, if you don't have contacts, you don't find the person or company that provides the service. I will start these threads on as many types of services as I can. Note: I consider any specialty as a service, so you will see painters, plumbers, carpenters, masons, electricians, lawyers, medical specialties, dental specialties, diesel mechanics, gasoline engine mechanics, LPG engine mechanics and conversion, brake repair, auto body and paint, auto electric systems, etc. Also, if you think of other specialties that I miss, let me know, and I will add a topic. I will pin all of these topics, so they stick around over time.

So...if you know of a SOLAR GENERATION CONTRACTOR that you would recommend, please put their name (or the name of the company), whatever contact information you have, where they are located (town or city), and why you would recommend him. Also, if you know details or their work (like brands and types of solar system components used and quality of installation) please give that information as well.

• Like 4

Headshot

I would like to thank Dragon for providing this information (in another topic). It appears that there is at least one solar generation contractor here in the Visayas. All I had found previously was contractors in the Manila area.

http://www.ayosdito.ph/Solar+Energy+Installer+in+Eastern+Visayas-6893734-1.htm

• Like 2

stevensanph

there is many companies operating out of Manila, all of whom will travel to visayas to install.

The problem is they are using chinese equipment at western prices.   At least 3 of the suppliers I contacted gave me quotations for a 1kw grid tied system of over 200k peso.  The solar panels used by all 3 were LDK panels, a company in china.  LDK are selling the panels in Shenzhen at 0.60usd/watt, or 150usd for a 250w panel and 0.75usd/watt landed in Manila after taxes.  These panels are extensively used in Australia, where they rank below ET solar for chinese made panels.  ETsolar is available at 0.64usd landed in Manila (I have spoken to both companies!)

The inverters being offered are the SMA brand ones, which at least have a decent rep.  A 1kw rated grid tied inverter is going for 65000 peso.

I have done a few spreadsheet calculations and to get a ROI in under 6 years you would need to bring a 1kw grid tie system in at under 100,000peso.  Doing it yourself you could do it at around about 70,000peso, using the same equipment being offered from the installers locally, but importing yourself.

From my research most the solar installers are buying off a company called PhilSolar who are importing the equipment in bulk and selling out of NAIA cargo area.  If you want to avoid the issue of importing yourself, then you can contact PhilSolar here, however their prices are way higher than importing  yourself (even after shipping charges and insurance.)

The other issue I see with LDK is that there is rumors they are in financial difficulty.  Therefore their warranty will mean nothing...

PhilSolar Equipment and Trading Corporation
2/F Cargohaus Building, NAIA Complex
Paranaque City 1700
TIN: 008-596-447
+639174492522
+639175121340

• Like 2

Paul

At least 3 of the suppliers I contacted gave me quotations for a 1kw grid tied system of over 200k peso.

Bill, keep in mind that, in the west anyway, the prices for solar panels have dropped considerably over the past five years. Under $1.00 / watt is common now. While I realize you will not see this in SE Asia, it does give you a starting point. 

Also, if you are considering an off-grid installation, you really could do it yourself, or with a little help from someone to perform the labor.

200k piso for 1 Kilowatt is outrageous. That's damned near $5,000 USD. Last year, I had a company here in Cambodia, that gave me a similar quote for an off-grid system. They must have thought I was nuts as well. (see attached file)

solar_install_quotation.xls

• Like 1

Paul
The other issue I see with LDK is that there is rumors they are in financial difficulty.  Therefore their warranty will mean nothing...

I have not bothered to check on Just Solar's financial situation. I am under the impression they are doing okay, though. Anyway, I can vouch for their panels.

Another company that may interest you when looking, is Yingli. This is a Chinese company, and currently, the single largest distributor of panels in the world. 

If you want a good panel, although quite pricey, look at Kyocera. They are Japanese.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

stevensanph

Another company that may interest you when looking, is Yingli. This is a Chinese company, and currently, the single largest distributor of panels in the world. 

Yes, Yingli also have good reviews (if you google for residential solar australia there is a lot of forums rating various chinese suppliers).  However they were asking for 0.95usd/watt in China so i didn't bother to ask them about CIF rates to Manila.

If anyone wants the contacts for ETSolar or LDK I can provide if you PM me, although I think they are also in the dropbox folder Paul has running for renewable energy.

• Like 2

Paul
However they were asking for 0.95usd/watt in China so i didn't bother to ask them about CIF rates to Manila.

Yingli has an office in Singapore. I would suggest dealing with them. That is the office I communicated with when I got my prices for a 285 watts panel, last year. I don't recall the exact price now. But, it had to be cheaper than .95c US / watt. If necessary, I can look up the price I was quoted for shipping and customs total costs, to Cambodia. I wouldn't imagine it would be much more to ship them to the Philippines. 

• Like 1

Paul
However they were asking for 0.95usd/watt in China so i didn't bother to ask them about CIF rates to Manila.

Here ya go: 

The price for one unit of our poly 285W would be US$ 210.90 + US$ 50 (shipping cost) CIF Cambodia port.

The price for one unit of our poly 285W would be US$ 210.90 + US$ 50 (shipping cost) CIF Cambodia port.

That is a quote for polycrystalline panels, not including customs duties. Still, pretty good pricing. But, if I recall, it was something right around, or maybe just over $300 USD, all in, and in my possession at the port of Sihanoukville. Also, keep in mind that $50 USD is their minimum shipping charge. 

• Like 2

stevensanph

Here ya go: 

That is a quote for polycrystalline panels, not including customs duties. Still, pretty good pricing. But, if I recall, it was something right around, or maybe just over $300 USD, all in, and in my possession at the port of Sihanoukville. Also, keep in mind that $50 USD is their minimum shipping charge. 

yeah, much better than their beijing office quoted me!!

• Like 1

dHb

Thanks a lot guys for the info! I'm considering going completely off-grid for my in-law's farm in Tayud and what I learn here is going to help me a lot.

Cgu

In Tayud Consolacion there is a Solar Shop and Installer. There are a few in Cebu. However you can easily do it youself. But.... You will still be cheaper taking power from the grid.

As far as I know (and please correct me guys) there is no way you can have a grid tied system in the Philippines. So you will run it at a loss (at current kwh prices). However, if you need power because of Brown outs, then maybe, but still consider a generator, as one liter of Diesel can produce ca. 4-5kwh, which ist still cheaper than some solar installations.

I am still experimenting with solar (last3 years), but the price ist still higher than grid power.

• Like 2

stevensanph

In Tayud Consolacion there is a Solar Shop and Installer. There are a few in Cebu. However you can easily do it youself. But.... You will still be cheaper taking power from the grid.

As far as I know (and please correct me guys) there is no way you can have a grid tied system in the Philippines. So you will run it at a loss (at current kwh prices). However, if you need power because of Brown outs, then maybe, but still consider a generator, as one liter of Diesel can produce ca. 4-5kwh, which ist still cheaper than some solar installations.

I am still experimenting with solar (last3 years), but the price ist still higher than grid power.

You might want to check out the electric regulation committees net metering resolution which mandates electric providers offer net metering provisions for renewable energy.

Details here.

http://thisisphilippines.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/solar-power-and-the-philippines/

My application is currently in process...

Cgu

This is very interesting!!

That would mean I do not need the batteries anymore (or maybe just for a very short period).

I am wondering how complicated the process and what will be the requirements. I am pretty sure they will impose their own inverters and it might be not as cheap.

Can you provide please where you applied and what forms etc...

Thanks

stevensanph

This is very interesting!!

That would mean I do not need the batteries anymore (or maybe just for a very short period).

I am wondering how complicated the process and what will be the requirements. I am pretty sure they will impose their own inverters and it might be not as cheap.

Can you provide please where you applied and what forms etc...

Thanks

It will depend on your provider. I am in the meralco area south of Manila. There is an application form on the site I linked above.

You can use any equipment you want but you must be able to show the inverters meet various standards for electrical compliance. They have verbally approved Etsolar and ldk panels, etsolar inverter and SMA inverters to me...

As I go through the process I will post updates here...

SkyMan

In Tayud Consolacion there is a Solar Shop and Installer. There are a few in Cebu.
Where, particularly the Tayud shop?  On the Cansaga bridge road?