Sign in to follow this  
tambok

The " You spilled my food" scam.

tambok

The ingenuity of scammers here never ceases to amaze me. I mean, you've got to be intelligent to come up with stuff like this.

This is mostly in the Manila/Malate/Ermita area- a guy walks around at night with a foam lunch box and bumps into you from the side. Then, he staggers and drops the box with food getting spilled on the road.

He then yells at you that because of you he has nothing to eat now and that you ruined his meal. He asks for 200-300 pesos so that he could buy food. After he gets his money, he repeats the same thing with another tourist.

• Like 1

enoonmai

I wouldn't call it ingenuity but it happened to me in Manhattan - Central Park West on my way to work in '97. Styro container of noodles. They're out there.

JSL-USMC

I was wondering if you looked around and found a empty Courvoisier bottle filled it with water and work that scam.

Nah, it probably wouldn't work.

motorboy

looks like I just found my new job in Cebu, happy bumping

• Like 2

bushwacker

Were there little piles of food all over the sidewalk looking suspecious?  :yahoo:

thebob

I just tell him that going hungry should make him more careful next time.

• Like 4

roaddog

So you fell for the spilled my food scam. Watch out for the white guy at whatever mall. Super scam.

Skywalker

In Bangkok a few years ago, I saw a young girl and her mother, doing the same scam but using a mobile phone.

The young girl bumped into me, dropped her phone (which immediately fell apart) and the mother started shouting.  I calmly picked up the pieces, realised straight away that this was a phone that was a piece of junk that clearly hadn't worked for a long time, and crucially had no battery.

I gave the mother the phone, said a few words in Thai, and walked away.   <_<

• Like 3

contraman

In Bangkok a few years ago, I saw a young girl and her mother, doing the same scam but using a mobile phone.

The young girl bumped into me, dropped her phone (which immediately fell apart) and the mother started shouting.  I calmly picked up the pieces, realised straight away that this was a phone that was a piece of junk that clearly hadn't worked for a long time, and crucially had no battery.

I gave the mother the phone, said a few words in Thai, and walked away.   <_<

And those words were ?

• Like 1

Topper

And those words were ?

:censor:

• Like 1