Sign in to follow this  
tambok

The " I need medicine" scam

tambok

There is a short lame guy about 40 - facial features like that of a Guatemalan Indian, walking around Cebu, showing people an open wound on his heel.

He says he needs tetanus shots but he has no money. If you take him to a pharmacy and buy a set of shots ( P965), he will then disappear with the medicine only to return to the pharmacy later and ask for a refund. This is how he makes his money.

You've been warned.

Paul

That's an easy one. Get the medicine for him, take him outside, while discreetly preparing the injection. When he gets outside, give him the injection. :D

• Like 2

tambok

Yeah, but that is practicing medicine without a licence in a foreign country.

Raven

Show him they way to nearest Barangay Health-center. Tetanus shots are free

• Like 5

T.S.

Are you sure that a license would be required or are you applying foreign laws to the Philippines?

If the pharmacy sells the shots to anyone a license or prescription, using it shouldn't be illegal.

A_Simple_Man

Tell him you will buy the medecine and then say "jawk"

• Like 1

Paul

Doctor's do it all the time. Why can't I? :D

bushwacker

It surprises me that the pharmacy would take back medicine and really surprises me that people would cover the medical expenses of a stranger.  Or even believe the strangers self diagnosis ... I need a .....

But not everybody is a bushwacker!

I <3 Cebu

Just say no speak english & keep walkin

• Like 1

Davaoeno

really surprises me that people would cover the medical expenses of a stranger.

actually that doesnt surprise me at all .  As a culture we see food, shelter and basic medical care as inalienable rights and people often go out of their way to provide such to strangers .  It's one of the ways in which we express our humanity .

• Like 5

smokey

It surprises me that the pharmacy would take back medicine and really surprises me that people would cover the medical expenses of a stranger.  Or even believe the strangers self diagnosis ... I need a .....

But not everybody is a bushwacker!

well if the meds cost 900 and he returns them for 300 its a win win

• Like 1

roaddog

Alert! Alert! New con game. Some dumb ass, dumb enough to fall for it deserves to loose the money. You honestly think your big warning going to matter. Go get a picture!!!!!!!! White guy at mall, filipino on the street. Give it a break. The newbies coming here have read and read about the con games. Live and learn like you and I did. This is the Philippines love it or go back where you came from.

ed villas

This is the Philippines love it or go back where you came from.

thanks i totally agree with that statement

smokey

I like hearing about all the scams it give me time to reflect on life and life;s little wonders... I do remember being mad in manila I was staying at the executive inn close to Robinsons and every time I would leave this dyed red head guy would try to block me and ask do I want to buy V ... or how about a young girl or boy .. over and over so after 3 days I go to the management and tell them this guy is ON the steps of YOUR hotel ... maybe you should call the police... manager walks over to see who I am talking about and says... HE is a police

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

rainymike

I think it's normal and natural to want to help someone in need. I also think it's normal and natural for people to get a little upset when someone takes you for a soft touch.

I have 2 strategies that work for me. 

1. I give the help and don't give a rip whether its a scam or not. Mostly try that just to get some sleeze ball out of my face.

2. If I need to fill up my karma meter with some good karma, I make a donation to a reliable charity or NGO. Usually do it through our school now. They're very active in disaster assistance. And they feed into some larger entity. I don't worry about whether it all gets there or not. I'm not the charity police. But my karma meter gets topped up. And I can walk away from the sleeze bags without feeling guilty. 

• Like 3