K&N air filter....?

ILoveCyrus

Anyone know who sells or where to buy such products?  Thanks!

You may have to start considering getting some of the things you need from the states. 

I know that, here in Cambodia, there is even less available in the way of things we would need. I have become accustomed to ordering online.

tobster

Got some for the big bike but as hard as I tried couldn't find the ones I wanted here. Most here are for cars. I got the ones you can clean but you would have to be more specific ab they have a huge range.

VERSACOOL MOTORSPORTSnoweb.pnginst.png 218 J. SOLON DRIVE, KAMAGONG, LAHUG, CEBU CITY Philippines 032- 231-9634
Fax 0918-9484600

0 / 0

http://www.knfilters.com/search/dealersearch.aspx#&&/wEXBgUIQVBQX1RZUEUFAnBzBQ5SRUZFUkVOQ0VfTkFNRQUKQVBQX0VOR0lORQUJQVBQX01PREVMBQZUTVgxNTUFCEFQUF9NQUtFBQVIT05EQQUKQVBQX0VOR0lORQUNU2VsZWN0IEVuZ2luZQUIQVBQX1lFQVIFE0FMTCBvciBVbmtub3duIFllYXLMrjC7/2s/lLjblwpEIOyHCmcSmpOfQBT2NZfkNJJ15Q==

there is even less available in the way of things we would need.

Tell me about it.  I'm looking for a bike shop that is capable of reprogramming my bike's ECU.  Pissing in the wind so far.

SkyMan

VERSACOOL MOTORSPORTS 218 J. SOLON DRIVE, KAMAGONG, LAHUG, CEBU CITY Philippines 032- 231-9634 Fax 0918-9484600 0 / 0

Hard to find and when I finally did.... No stock sir. Can you order? No stock sir.

I brought mine and a cleaning kit from the US.

Edited by SkyMan

Hard to find and when I finally did.... No stock sir. Can you order? No stock sir.

Lazy employee?  No stock for my bike in the shop here, but without even asking they offered to order it.  Exhaust and filter on hold until I find somewhere to reprogram the ECU.

Exhaust and filter on hold until I find somewhere to reprogram the ECU.

Your engine is the same as my CRF. You can buy a programmer in the US that allows you to adjust your ECU on the fly yourself.

I'd send you a link but I'm on my phone with only a 2g connection.

Try google.

I worked for race teams for years. One Toyota Atlantic team I worked on the driver thought the car was losing power from the start of a race to the end. So we did leak-down checks when we got new engines in. 3% leak down- new. At the end of a race we checked it again and we got 29% leak down. So we sent the head to get the valves done and checked the leak down when the head returned. 4%- leak down. At the end of the next race 31%- leak down.  

The next new engine came in with 3%-leak down.  So we put three dabs of grease down streem of the air filter "K&N".  And at the end of the race 32%- leak down and the dabs of greas were full of grit. So we changed the filter to an oiled foam filter.  3%- leak down new. And at the end of the next race? 18%-leak down. Better still not good.

So we made a new air box and used a Mustang GT stock air filter. 3%-leak down new at the end of the next race? 1%- leak down.  Yes I said "1%". The rings bed in and the engine seals up. We went from changing a engine at 300 miles with 29 to 34% leak down to. Changing the engine at 800 miles with 7% leak down.

So the bottom line is. You might gain a little more power with a K&N filter(1 to 2hp) but it will not last long, and before you know it you will have a LOT less.
If you don't believe me do the grease test yourself. Take out the filter and put a dab of grease in the air box. Then put your K&N filter in and ride the bike for a few weeks and pull the filter out and check the dab of grease. 

Edited by lin
  • Like 2
David_LivinginTalisay

Another point about scrapping the OEM 'Airbox' and fitting K&N Air Filter, is going through rivers!

Go deeper that the K&N Filter - I don't think the K&N will keep water out!

Many Air boxes of Dual Sport/Enduro motorcycles is they are waterproof and the air inlet is on the top, so you could ride with the carb under water, and still no water getting in the engine (hopefully!).  If you ass is getting wet sat on the seat you could still be in trouble.

Take the bike out of water and tip it up vertically so it is standing on its rear wheel and watch the water come out of the silencer!

Think I posted a Video on Facebook about a Biking group who did just that and the engine did re-start after several attempts.

Canuck Joe

The boys at the bike shop who installed my 59mm bore kept pestering me for two years to put a velocity stack on my oversized carb as they all ran their bikes open with no filter like that. Since I figured rings where getting tired I would give it a shot before I freshend up the motor again.

In two months it started using oil fast...so fast that It ran dry. The result was having to rebuild the big valve head as well, cam, rocker arms, valves and guides, new piston/rings...7000php Later!

The only filter I could find so far is a crappy metal cone one. After reading lins post I hope I can find the stock box to fit back in...

David_LivinginTalisay

I worked for race teams for years. One Toyota Atlantic team I worked on the driver thought the car was losing power from the start of a race to the end. So we did leak-down checks when we got new engines in. 3% leak down- new. At the end of a race we checked it again and we got 29% leak down. So we sent the head to get the valves done and checked the leak down when the head returned. 4%- leak down. At the end of the next race 31%- leak down.  

The next new engine came in with 3%-leak down.  So we put three dabs of grease down streem of the air filter "K&N".  And at the end of the race 32%- leak down and the dabs of greas were full of grit. So we changed the filter to an oiled foam filter.  3%- leak down new. And at the end of the next race? 18%-leak down. Better still not good.

So we made a new air box and used a Mustang GT stock air filter. 3%-leak down new at the end of the next race? 1%- leak down.  Yes I said "1%". The rings bed in and the engine seals up. We went from changing a engine at 300 miles with 29 to 34% leak down to. Changing the engine at 800 miles with 7% leak down.

So the bottom line is. You might gain a little more power with a K&N filter(1 to 2hp) but it will not last long, and before you know it you will have a LOT less.

If you don't believe me do the grease test yourself. Take out the filter and put a dab of grease in the air box. Then put your K&N filter in and ride the bike for a few weeks and pull the filter out and check the dab of grease. 

Interesting report on racing engines and air filter Lin.

Most of the motorcycles I have seen with K&N Air Filters seem to remove the air box as well as stock filter inside it and have the K&N mounted directly on the carb, drawing in the air directly, not via any air box.

So to do that 'grease test' that you mentioned, they would need to remove the K&N Air Filter from the Carb, put the blob of grease inside the 'mouth' of the carb, before the choke/throttle slide,  The inspect to see if any grit entering via the K&N!

The stock Yamaha XT225 Serrow has an oiled foam filter - did you ever test that set up Lin?  

What is your opinion of the stock Yamaha XT225  'Serow' Air Filter and Air Box?

throttleplate

k-n filters are not ideal for dusty conditions,inferior protection from stock paper filter.Google and read reports about k-n inefficient filtering out sand particles.

Interesting report on racing engines and air filter Lin.

Most of the motorcycles I have seen with K&N Air Filters seem to remove the air box as well as stock filter inside it and have the K&N mounted directly on the carb, drawing in the air directly, not via any air box.

So to do that 'grease test' that you mentioned, they would need to remove the K&N Air Filter from the Carb, put the blob of grease inside the 'mouth' of the carb, before the choke/throttle slide,  The inspect to see if any grit entering via the K&N!

The stock Yamaha XT225 Serrow has an oiled foam filter - did you ever test that set up Lin?  

What is your opinion of the stock Yamaha XT225  'Serow' Air Filter and Air Box?

No have never grease tested the XT air filtration David.  It's oiled foam element using an open cell foam so it's probably more effective than a K&N element.  The important point with any suspended oil filtration element is to use proper filtration oil and service it very frequently.  And don't wash them out in gasoline as with some open cell foams the gasoline dissolves it..... I'd recomend sealing the outer edges of the XTs element with a smear of grease.