Sign in to follow this  
seaman

Tourist ACR related question

seaman

I received my tourist ACR card in Feb 2012.  At the time I paid something like P7500 for 2 month extension (months 3 & 4) and ACR card fee.  When I returned in 2013, even though my ACR card had already expired, I only paid P4050 for months 3 & 4 extension and I didn't have to pay for a new ACR card.  Instead there were two line items called ACR reissuance fee for P250 and head tax for P250.  So my question is was this a fluke or is this normal practice?  If normal practice at what point would a new ACR card be required or is it the case that once you get an ACR card, regardless of whether it expired or not, you no longer have to get another card?  I am asking because I don't know what I will have to pay when I renew for months 3 & 4 when I enter again in 2014.  

seaman

seaman

Anyone know?

seaman

POTATOMAN

think you were robbed the first time

Salty Dog

Well unless it's changed recently, you are required to get an ACR-I Card when you apply for your first 2 month extension at 59 days, unless you still have one that's not expired. The renewal fee for mine has always been $50 and I've done it 4 times. The ACR fee and head tax fee you paid are in addition to the fee for the ACR-I card. Maybe they thought yours was still valid for some reason.

mactanfamily

I lived in Cebu for over 13 years and never had one. Never really looked into it or compared it, but from the little I heard it just seemed like a lot more hassle and money for NO benefit.

Now I just read here that all that have one have to appear immediately for a tracking chip implant or something. Good job BOI, make it harder and more expensive to stay in a place that becomes less desirable every day. I'm thinking that when the boom times are over and they are back into bust that this attack the expat game might slow down.

Woolf

I paid 4050 but it was a few days before my card expired,

now we will see what happens here at end of january when I go there again

miles-high

NO benefit

If you are a frequent traveler, there is an ACR line at the airport, usually no waiting, at least in Manila anyway…

SkyMan

seemed like a lot more hassle and money for NO benefit.

If you are a frequent traveler, there is an ACR line at the airport, usually no waiting, at least in Manila anyway…

I think the main benefit is that you get to stay in the country.

johnboy999

I received my tourist ACR card in Feb 2012.  At the time I paid something like P7500 for 2 month extension (months 3 & 4) and ACR card fee.  When I returned in 2013, even though my ACR card had already expired, I only paid P4050 for months 3 & 4 extension and I didn't have to pay for a new ACR card.  Instead there were two line items called ACR reissuance fee for P250 and head tax for P250.  So my question is was this a fluke or is this normal practice?  If normal practice at what point would a new ACR card be required or is it the case that once you get an ACR card, regardless of whether it expired or not, you no longer have to get another card?  I am asking because I don't know what I will have to pay when I renew for months 3 & 4 when I enter again in 2014.  

seaman

I experienced exactly the same situation as you, seaman. My first ACR card was issued in March 2012 and I left the Philippines for a visa run in April 2013 (so, my ACR was technically expired before I left). On my 2-4 month extension upon my return, I also had the P250 fee charged (in my passport, it says RE ACR 250) when I was kinda expecting to pay another 50USD for a new ACR card. I guess we will both find out when we go for our annual reports (my next extension is due Feb 28 2014, so hopefully somebody will have clarified the situation before then and we'll know for sure about the new annual report policy too!).

mactanfamily

I think the main benefit is that you get to stay in the country.

A few years ago I stayed up to a year renewing my tourist visa. I guess thats gone now, but this year I was given a one year balikbayan when i entered with my wife. I'm sure it helps some, but I still don't see a benefit for me.

• Like 1

Skywalker

Lets be clear here, the ACR card is an exercise in collecting money.  It has zero benefits, and you can easily get by without one.

However you are forced to buy it at the BOI, and like the 'express lane' fee, you can't avoid it except by the BOI making mistakes.

• Like 1